7prc just slayed the 6.8 Western

Gila

WKR
Any way you look at it the paradigm shift is to short action cartridges that hold enough powder and are designed to shoot low drag, heavy for caliber bullets. Long action cartridges are becoming obsolete. I don’t see the competitive sports giving up the 7 SAUM or the 284 Win (and it’s derivatives) any time soon. The 6.8 Western was designed to be chambered in a lightweight hunting rifle that can reach out and touch ’em. Anyone can shoot the 6.8 Western comfortably, young or old. Hunters are understanding just how good the 6.8 Western and the 284 Win can perform in the field. The 284 Win remains in hand loader territory for now. The 6.8 Western has some very good factory ammunition offerings. Demand for the 6.8 Western is increasing faster than the market can keep up with.

So the 270WSM.... the seemingly forgotten or abandoned round... will put the HURT on the 7prc... my 270wsm will push the 165 NABLR to 3200fps before I start to see pressure signs.. and will hold a 1.25" group with the 1:10 twist. . the PRC on the same day was producing 2750 with 185 ELDX... hmm for $400 you re-barrel to a 1:8 twist for complete stability. those velocities were taken on the new Garmin, which I LOVE

A 7 PRC has more capacity than 270 wsm, with a slightly bigger bore, and more freebore. Three of the major components that allow a cartridge to push a bullet faster at a given max pressure. Thus, apples to apples a 7 PRC is going to push the same weight bullets faster at the same pressures.

Add to that, a 165 accubond LR is easily bested in BC my many 7mm offerings.

Last edited:
A 7 PRC has more capacity than 270 wsm, with a slightly bigger bore, and more freebore. Three of the major components that allow a cartridge to push a bullet faster at a given max pressure. Thus, apples to apples a 7 PRC is going to push the same weight bullets faster at the same pressures.

Add to that, a 165 accubond is easily bested in BC my many 7mm offerings.
Good post. The internet is flush with false equivalency, especially so in the realm of reloading VS OEM ammo comparisons. There is always a cohort of reloaders quick to point out how their hot '06 loads are knocking on a 300 mag, or suchlike comparisons, as if the engineers who designed and standardized cartridges didn't realize that there are ways to squeeze a little more velocity from the cartridges they developed and tested extensively.

I tend to run everything at near OEM velocity. Keeps feeding/extraction issues to a minimum, and let's face it, any velocity to be gained by pushing it hard vs running near engineered velocity for a given round is not all that impactful. I know the common tendency is to push everything as hard as one can, and I will push hotter loads because it's sometimes better for accuracy, but, ultimately, I see it as a low gain, high risk scenario.