7mm PRC Build barrel?

todd458

FNG
This is a huge debate. I would hate to give an opinion because it’s so all over the map. His particular barrel, the type of bullet used, etc.
it seems from different post that I’ve read that the ELDX bullets are not posting quite as high of velocity. I would go out of a limb and say roughly 30 or a little bit more feet per second per itch.. however, I’ve been very happy with the ELDX bullets as they have been providing me pinpoint accuracy and have performed very well.. There are many good bullets out there today

Having shot suppressors for a long time, 22" barrel is the longest I'd ever go. My PRS gun is 24" but it'll never be suppressed. Once you're over 22" barrel I don't know if there is a rifle case long enough to accomodate unless you take the suppressor off

sjvcon

FNG
I should have qualified that my boy doesn't shoot with a suppressor and probably never will. Having shot one myself, I don't see the need to ever get one. Fact is, I actually didn't like how it changed the recoil of the rifle...it was different than a brake, at least for me. I may be the odd duck on that ... but that is the way I see it.

todd458

FNG
I guess it comes down to personal preference. I totally get that but if you’re shooting around people… they love it. I personally shoot much better with it. From 22s on up to the PRC. The people I shoot and hunt with just have always use them. In say the last 2 to 3 years.

sjvcon

FNG
I guess it comes down to personal preference. I totally get that but if you’re shooting around people… they love it. I personally shoot much better with it. From 22s on up to the PRC. The people I shoot and hunt with just have always use them. In say the last 2 to 3 years.
Yeah ... my friend likes his well enough, but when I asked if he'd do it again he said no. I sure didn't like the way it affected the recoil. Less but different ... and for me different enough it affected how I shoot ... not sure that makes sense.

And not to hijack the thread. I was just stating what my son is doing and I'd post some Chrono results when we have them if anyone had interest in the difference in velos.

Seeknelk

WKR
I guess...what are your goals with this rifle?
Want to hit steel at a mile? Shoot at 1k a ton? Then I'd go long barrel.
Want to kill elk etc at 600 maybe a bit more or whatever. I'd look at what range your planned bullet drops below 2-1800fps and see if your preferred barrel length will do that. If not, add barrel length or case size to reach the goal. In open country I don't mind a 24" plus can on my 300 PRC. There are certain areas of alder and yew brush where I certainly don't bring that rifle tho. I WILL go to 20" for my next barrel and I'll still have PLENTY of velocity for my goals.

Id go 22" with plans for a can. on my 7prc I went 26" and have a 2.5" brake on there. I definitely wouldn't want anything longer :)

carter33

WKR
Mine is a 20" carbon six, just had it out for the first time this week. Groups ranged from just over 1/2" to just under an 1" on about 5 groups at 100yds. Will chronograph it this next week, I input 2800 as a guess and on three shots at distance that had me pretty damn close on elevation.

This was with the factory 175eldx.

mchrist

FNG
When I build mine I intend on doing a proof sendero 20" It will be a bit slower than box velocity but very doable especially with my Nomad Ti the length overall should be very doable and minimal speed loss. I hope you enjoy yours

todd458

FNG
20 inch benchmark barrel nomad TI

Attachments

• 02D23673-4BA8-478D-8664-AF455C25032E.jpeg
    02D23673-4BA8-478D-8664-AF455C25032E.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 49