7mm-08 Hammer Load

Got a box of hundred 120gr hammers for my bro 7mm-08. Looking to use varget. Any advice on another powder selection? Thanks Brent

MattB

WKR
The other powder that gets high marks for 7-08 and Hammer 120’s is Big Game.

Got a box of hundred 120gr hammers for my bro 7mm-08. Looking to use varget. Any advice on another powder selection? Thanks Brent
Hey Brett- Did you call the folks at Hammer? Steve will walk you through the process he uses and I've yet to see their approach not make a shooter with about 8 rounds. It's uncanny. He'll probably have some powder ideas for you, but likely you'll be able to use whatever you have and get a shooter out of it.

OP
brentwinkey
Hey Brett- Did you call the folks at Hammer? Steve will walk you through the process he uses and I've yet to see their approach not make a shooter with about 8 rounds. It's uncanny. He'll probably have some powder ideas for you, but likely you'll be able to use whatever you have and get a shooter out of it.
We chatted when i did my first 300wm load but thats when there wasnt much info out. I think varget will be my powder ill use since i got 14lbs i think of it but staball 6.5 is on my short list to try.

OXN939

WKR
We chatted when i did my first 300wm load but thats when there wasnt much info out. I think varget will be my powder ill use since i got 14lbs i think of it but staball 6.5 is on my short list to try.

Truly no reason to try anything but Varget for this combo. I ended up at 42.5 grains. Use a Lee Factory Crimp die with a 90 degree turn on it and you'll almost certainly be sub-MOA.

Truly no reason to try anything but Varget for this combo. I ended up at 42.5 grains. Use a Lee Factory Crimp die with a 90 degree turn on it and you'll almost certainly be sub-MOA.

Why crimp?

Varget is good, my experience suggests better velocity with Big Game but not with Hammers.

P

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR
Why crimp?

Varget is good, my experience suggests better velocity with Big Game but not with Hammers.

P

Copper monos like a longer dwell time than lead bullets- this is one reason you always see a "jump" between where you load a bullet and the lands recommended. Crimping effectively retains the bullet for a tiny period of time longer than without, I'm told.

I'm not a professional ballistician or anything, but I have observed 5/5 loads I've developed with Hammers become significantly more precise with a slight crimp.

OP
brentwinkey
Copper monos like a longer dwell time than lead bullets- this is one reason you always see a "jump" between where you load a bullet and the lands recommended. Crimping effectively retains the bullet for a tiny period of time longer than without, I'm told.

I'm not a professional ballistician or anything, but I have observed 5/5 loads I've developed with Hammers become significantly more precise with a slight crimp.

Everything ive read and experinced with hammers is they like crimp as well...if nothing else its nice little extra "safety" with hunting ammo...

Rob5589

WKR
Lets say your seater doesn't crimp. Would using a neck sizing mandrel to increase interference do the same thing? I've never crimped a rifle cartridge but am looking at trying some Hammers.