7 saum vs 300 wsm

JBone762

FNG
I’m looking to build a new rifle off of an Origin action with a proof pre fit barrel. I’m stuck between a 7 saum and 300 wsm. I’m curious what everyone’s considerations are between the two. I want to build the saum but brass is near impossible to find currently.

gearguywb

WKR
Build what you want. Brass is hard to find for the 7, but you can find it. The real difference between the two is bullet weight given that one is a .30 the other a 7. For hunting applications (deer, elk, pretty much anything), both will work very well if you do your part. Splitting hairs.

Ucsdryder

WKR
7saum - better heavy for caliber bullets, better down range performance, less recoil, less wind drift

300wsm - heavier bullets, more frontal diameter, better factory ammo offerings

The recoil is a big one for me. The 7saum suppressed is a pussy cat. With a 180eldm it’ll kill as far as I could ever hope to kill.

If you do the 300 WSM, cut the throat about .100" longer than SAAMI and seat 215s (or a similar bullet) out where it belongs. Lots of powder compression otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
I’m trying to decide between the two myself. I keep coming back to the 7 SAUM. It just seems like the ideal one gun setup for everything id use it for.

B23

WKR
I think the 300 WSM is kind of one of those Goldilocks, not to big not to small but just right, cartridges but IMO you need to be using at least 200 - 200+ gr bullets before it outperforms an equal case size 7mm.

This new 7mm PRC is going to likely have really good factory support and case capacity should be nearly the same as the WSM so maybe give that one some consideration as well. But, you'll need a medium or long action for the new 7PRC because it'll be a little to long for a short action. I just read where someone is testing the new 7PRC and they were getting 3050-3100 with Berger 175's using RL26.

I have both and in general if the use is going to be primarily for elk or bigger i like the 300 wsm. If primarily deer sized game i like the SAUM. Both have killed elk plenty dead for me but I just feel a little better about the 300. I think the origin can be limited significantly by COAL depending on how it is configured so that might be a consideration.

sacox31s

FNG
You can't make that statement without a whole bunch of qualifiers. Like what bullet they're shooting and at what distance.
True. But both loaded with a similar class of large for caliber bullet the 300WSM is going to have more energy of impact.