7 saum Build

I am looking at building a light weight 7 saum hunting build. I was planning to get a LH SA defiance anti x action but with the price increase and extremely long availability wait times I think I may go with a LH SA Kelbly Nanook action instead. I was planning to run an 18” proof research carbon barrel in a sendero profile but I think proof may only offer it now in a sendero light profile. I may be forced to go to 20” if I want a sendero profile. I am planning to run a saami spec chamber as I plan to run bullets under 175 grain. I am planning to put this barreled action in either a xlr element MG or Hnt26 chassis system. The rifle system I am looking to build is for mainly deer and up to elk out to 5-600 yards. Any thoughts on this build? Thanks!

ManBun

FNG
Make sure you plan on a long timeframe to find the brass for this, unless you get lucky enough to get on the next batch from ADG coming out. Or you’re willing to pay high dollar on gunbroker.
As far as build, if you are going to go long action I would throat it long to maximize the longer 175-180 class bullets, then I would use the 155 hammer bullets and will work great for deer and elk to the 600 yard range and is under the 175 bullet weight requirement you stated. They are pricy, but always in stock. With this I had a load for the 155 hammers going 3020fps in a 22” barrel, so I would figure 2950-3000 in a 20” barrel.

OP
Alex Genereux
Make sure you plan on a long timeframe to find the brass for this, unless you get lucky enough to get on the next batch from ADG coming out. Or you’re willing to pay high dollar on gunbroker.
As far as build, if you are going to go long action I would throat it long to maximize the longer 175-180 class bullets, then I would use the 155 hammer bullets and will work great for deer and elk to the 600 yard range and is under the 175 bullet weight requirement you stated. They are pricy, but always in stock. With this I had a load for the 155 hammers going 3020fps in a 22” barrel, so I would figure 2950-3000 in a 20” barrel.
Thanks yeah I have 200 adg on the way.

If you are wiling to pay a premium for all components and and your timeline isn't this year then it's worth the wait. They flat out shoot. If not then you might need to considering a different direction.

ManBun

FNG
I have 200 count adg brass on the way
I apologize, speed reading through the thread. Saw you stated both actions were SA.
I built mine on a defiance anti x xm length action which allowed me to throat the chamber out long while only adding .2” to the action length. Really gives you more options and performance in the caliber. Limited stock or chassis options with this action length though.

Firestone

WKR
Sounds awesome, the hnt26 chassis is pretty sweet. I was gonna build a 7saum on an antix but it turns out brass is harder to find then I thought, so I bagged it for now. That's awesome you got 200 pieces. I was gonna use 168vlds on a short action. I ended up getting the hnt26 for a couple tikkas I use, it's gonna make an awesome hunting rig

SKanez

FNG
I am looking at building a light weight 7 saum hunting build. I was planning to get a LH SA defiance anti x action but with the price increase and extremely long availability wait times I think I may go with a LH SA Kelbly Nanook action instead. I was planning to run an 18” proof research carbon barrel in a sendero profile but I think proof may only offer it now in a sendero light profile. I may be forced to go to 20” if I want a sendero profile. I am planning to run a saami spec chamber as I plan to run bullets under 175 grain. I am planning to put this barreled action in either a xlr element MG or Hnt26 chassis system. The rifle system I am looking to build is for mainly deer and up to elk out to 5-600 yards. Any thoughts on this build? Thanks!

If you can swing it, I'd definitely opt for the HNT26 chassis over the element.

rootacres

WKR
I built a 22" Proof Sendero (saami spec), Bighorn Origin, Alterra arms a few years back. It has shot lights out and is my go to rifle.

Couple things I learned from my build.

Action/Mag Length vs COAL:
I am having the feed ramp notch and going to hawkins hunter magazines that allow me to go to COALs at 2.955". I run 168gr VLDS (also 143gr Hammers). With the 2.860" original magabox I had on this build the VLDS were around 0.045" off the lands at best. Id prefer to get closer. So in theory 2.955" should allow me to get to where I want. On your build I would just make sure your action design allows you to use these extended length mags/magboxes. If that's not the case maybe look at a different action or bump to a medium length action. Im not sure what length you'll need to get 175gr's loaded out the way you like. I know many loads come in with over 3" COALs.

Ballistics:
The longest range I have to get reps on is 600 yds. So I use that distance as my max distance in the field (conditions permitting). Many believe that 2000 fps and 1500 ft/lb is a solid minimum benchmark for harvesting elk. Thats the benchmark I used too. My current load with 168 VLDs doing about ~2835 fps puts me right at that 2000/1500 threshold at 600 yds. So for me the 22" barrel was the right call. You could probably get some loads to do that with the 20" barrel, Im not sure you'll get to that threshold out of a saami spec chamber and 18" barrel.

Im a big fan of this cartridge. I think it checks most of the boxes for a lower 48 hunting rig. Mine is basically 9lbs on the money. Makes for a very comfortable mild magnum shooting experience. Hope this helps.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The 7 SAUM has been perfect in a short action for me. Mine is a factory Remington Model Seven SS with a 22” barrel. I’m shooting 160 grain Accubonds 2950 fps. I killed my first elk with it. I love it.

OP
Alex Genereux
I built a 22" Proof Sendero (saami spec), Bighorn Origin, Alterra arms a few years back. It has shot lights out and is my go to rifle.

Couple things I learned from my build.

Action/Mag Length vs COAL:
I am having the feed ramp notch and going to hawkins hunter magazines that allow me to go to COALs at 2.955". I run 168gr VLDS (also 143gr Hammers). With the 2.860" original magabox I had on this build the VLDS were around 0.045" off the lands at best. Id prefer to get closer. So in theory 2.955" should allow me to get to where I want. On your build I would just make sure your action design allows you to use these extended length mags/magboxes. If that's not the case maybe look at a different action or bump to a medium length action. Im not sure what length you'll need to get 175gr's loaded out the way you like. I know many loads come in with over 3" COALs.

Ballistics:
The longest range I have to get reps on is 600 yds. So I use that distance as my max distance in the field (conditions permitting). Many believe that 2000 fps and 1500 ft/lb is a solid minimum benchmark for harvesting elk. Thats the benchmark I used too. My current load with 168 VLDs doing about ~2835 fps puts me right at that 2000/1500 threshold at 600 yds. So for me the 22" barrel was the right call. You could probably get some loads to do that with the 20" barrel, Im not sure you'll get to that threshold out of a saami spec chamber and 18" barrel.

Im a big fan of this cartridge. I think it checks most of the boxes for a lower 48 hunting rig. Mine is basically 9lbs on the money. Makes for a very comfortable mild magnum shooting experience. Hope this helps.
One big problem with the xm or medium(none standard short action) is there is less stock and chassis compatibility. So I think I plan to stay saami and short action

You won't regret going with the MDT HNT26. I have it on my .300 wsm tikka and it's a work of art.

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
I just put an XLR 4.0 on my 260rem & I Love it. I’m gonna try it for a year & probably get one for my 7Saum. I like HNT26 as well but my Saum is a medium action so I am limited to the XLR