7 mag - Elk

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Dude let me down easy… I am seeing the light.

Where I’m at… SHV, NXS, Trijicon Credo, or Swaro Z3?

Also a reeeaaal good chance an SWFA fixed is going on my BAR ’06 whitetail gun.

Unckebob

WKR
Buying new guns is cool. If that's what you want to do, many of us will help you with that. With that said, Ive watched 6 bulls fall on my last 2 elk hunts. Of those 6, 4 of them were taken with 300 WM, the other 2 were taken with my 7 SAUM. The 300 WMs were shooting Bergers and TTSX, mine were both with Bergers. A moderate velocity 7 with the right projectile is plenty for elk. Neither of mine made it more than a few steps. Shot distances average around 300 yds. I stick to the 2000+ FPS impact velocity and 1500 ft/lbs of energy. Save your cash on a new rifle and upgrade your optics, rings, stock etc.

For the cost of my new rifle and suppressor, I could have paid for the cost of airfare (not in steerage) to Africa. I could have have taken dad's 30-06 since I would not hunt dangerous game.

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
For the cost of my new rifle and suppressor, I could have paid for the cost of airfare (not in steerage) to Africa. I could have have taken dad's 30-06 since I would not hunt dangerous game.
That really puts it into perspective…

Elite

WKR
I've personally witnessed 2 VX3i and a VX5HD lose zero on hunts.

I had a vx3i mounted on a 7mm-08. It lost zero several times. Sent it back to leupold and they stated something in the internals of the scope came loose. Took it this summer and never could keep zero once again. Scope is gone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I had a vx3i mounted on a 7mm-08. It lost zero several times. Sent it back to leupold and they stated something in the internals of the scope came loose. Took it this summer and never could keep zero once again. Scope is gone now.

Out of curiosity… by how much did your scope lose zero?

Elite

WKR
Out of curiosity… by how much did your scope lose zero?

First few times it was 5-8” at 100 yards. Second round was 11”-13”. Wasted a lot of ammo with that scope.

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
First few times it was 5-8” at 100 yards. Second round was 11”-13”. Wasted a lot of ammo with that scope.

Ouch. That’s brutal. The change I saw was on the order kf ~2” at 100…

bluumoon

WKR
Buddy sighted in rifle with a VX3 at my place just before season this year. Gun fell over while leaning on a tree. 2.5" (100 yard) shift to the right when we rechecked zero a day later. I had a larger fail with a VX2 two years prior with no drops, which lead me to this forum and a fair bit of $ spent.

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
This makes me wonder how much of the time I spent trying to dial in loads was really chasing scope-related variability in POI.

Shoot them through the lungs.

Bull is gonna die.

This one did, 7mm-08, 409 yards, 150 Eldx.

01574901-0FFC-44AF-AC93-B9FAC43AB9C7.jpeg

This one, too, but only 225 yards with a 140 Accubond.

D9885FB4-D571-4182-AD2B-0697D1234223.jpeg

It’s where you hit them, using a good bullet, that matters most.

I have more dead elk pics with the Mighty -08 but you get the idea.

P

mc67

FNG
Ive always told friends if they are on a budget then spend more on the scope they they do the gun.

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I’d bring this one full circle...

I went full on Rokslide special… the result: a Tikka T3x super lite (from Sportsman Warehouse) chambered in 300 wsm topped with a SWFA 3-15x42 using the sportsmatch rings. Excellent set of rings / setup with the recoil post and Tikka integrated rail.

Mods, thus far, have been:
- Free float barrel
- Reduce trigger pull using factory adjustment
- Cut barrel to 22” and install muzzle brake
- Hells Canyon WSM magazine, modified to accommodate 3+1 and 3+” COAL loads with the Berger 205
- bolt stop modified to long action

Not much in the realm of Tikka mods compared to some… may consider dropping it in a carbon stock but not really gaining much other than cool factor, I believe.

Load is pretty hot: 65 grains of Staball 6.5 with Berger 205 Elite Hunters, Norma brass neck sized with Lee neck collet die and body size with a Reding body die. Federal LRM primers.

Other powders I tried: H100v and reloader 16, neither of which showed decent velo or accuracy. If I get a wild hair, I may try a load with H4350 and the 205 EHs. I do have a string of 5 175 LRXs loaded with Staball 6.5 I plan to test… we’ll see how it goes.

7 shot group under 1”. Based on the shot string, I’m (perhaps overly) optimistic that some of the spread was due to the barrel fouling after a good Lassos cleaning, though I did shoot 3 shots prior using same powder and some 175 sierra match kings.

ES at 29 FPS. Would like to see this lower but I can deal with it.

I’m very pleased and now I want to buy another tikka. Ha

TBD on what will happen with the Win M70...

Thanks all for commentary and input. Shout out to @Formidilosus for some great, helpful thoughts.

1686850535168.jpeg

Last edited: