The 6UM

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What are your thoughts on using the DTAC down near the 1800 fps mark, or even a bit lower? I may be trying to stretch this a bit far, but I think it's certainly capable with the right bullet. Maybe I'm just apprehensive about the way the DTAC performs being so differently from the ELD/Berger/TMKs I've been shooting for years now, but my first preference is definitely for fragmentation vs tumbling.

ETA: I forgot entirely about the Barnes 112 Match Burner. Looks like a good option as well.

We have shown the result of multiple kills well below 1,800fps- Ryan’s uncle’s elk was at 1,500 something FPS- that’s the one that got him to really get into the UM idea I believe.

One of the benefits to a bullet tumbling- is a sideways bullet crushes a lot of tissue and will make excellent wound channels regardless of impact speed. The only question is whether the bullet will tumble consistently. So far in 20’ish animals from 2,800fps impact to 1,500’ish fps impact the DTAC has upset and caused very good wound channels- either through fragmentation similar to a Berger, some have exhibited expansion with partial fragmentation like a Hornady ELD-M or X, or have tumbled- all based on impact velocity.

BjornF16

WKR
We have shown the result of multiple kills well below 1,800fps- Ryan’s uncle’s elk was at 1,500 something FPS- that’s the one that got him to really get into the UM idea I believe.

One of the benefits to a bullet tumbling- is a sideways bullet crushes a lot of tissue and will make excellent wound channels regardless of impact speed. The only question is whether the bullet will tumble consistently. So far in 20’ish animals from 2,800fps impact to 1,500’ish fps impact the DTAC has upset and caused very good wound channels- either through fragmentation similar to a Berger, some have exhibited expansion with partial fragmentation like a Hornady ELD-M or X, or have tumbled- all based on impact velocity.
Form,

At one point I believe you were saying stay above roughly 2250 fps for the ringed DTAC...are you using a different bullet to suggest good upset down to 1500 fps or just more data points?

Thanks

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form,

At one point I believe you were saying stay above roughly 2250 fps for the ringed DTAC...are you using a different bullet to suggest good upset down to 1500 fps or just more data points?

Thanks

Fragmentation is happening pretty consistently down to 2,300’ish fps but that varies based on which version of Nosering and how deep the cut is. However, with more examples/data they are tumbling so far every time to as low as we’ve taken it.

BjornF16

WKR
Fragmentation is happening pretty consistently down to 2,300’ish fps but that varies based on which version of Nosering and how deep the cut is. However, with more examples/data they are tumbling so far every time to as low as we’ve taken it.
Are you referring to different lot numbers of Tubb’s DTAC bullets or using the nose ring tool to create your own?

For 6CM/6XC, still prefer 108 ELD-M over the 115 DTAC w/nosering?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Are you referring to different lot numbers of Tubb’s DTAC bullets or using the nose ring tool to create your own?

Commercially I think Noserings are .025. I have used them from .02-.050, as well as versions that are not factory. The deeper the Nosering, the more consistent they fragment and at lower impact velocities.

For 6CM/6XC, still prefer 108 ELD-M over the 115 DTAC w/nosering?

Most people will probably be more comfortable with what the ELD-M looks like and how it behaves than they would the DTAC, especially in deer. However, for me, I don’t really care so much, and I do like what the DTAC does in elk size animals.

I need to use the 103gr ELD-X more as it has shown good attributes in the relatively little I’ve seen it.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Gonna try some G9 brass bullet in the 6UM. Whats your guys guess on speed?

8ef99f2461c5f67ccd89d286b6bdeb4f.jpg

1bde1558353fa2f24efb547920debc89.jpg

87 grain brass bullet next to 115 Dtac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

eoperator

WKR
Most people will probably be more comfortable with what the ELD-M looks like and how it behaves than they would the DTAC, especially in deer. However, for me, I don’t really care so much, and I do like what the DTAC does in elk size animals.
Do you feel the dtac expands to much or not enough on deer size?

eoperator

WKR
I don’t like the way the fore end mounts with those little screws.
I ended up devcon bedding both of my hnt26 forends. They feel much more supported/ridged now. That connection must have been designed on a Friday afternoon. To bad a guy has to do that on a $1500 chassis.