6BR tikka mags

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone chamber a tikka T3x in 6BR and have any feedback or experience with feeding from the factory magazines?

Not CTR or AICS mags but the std T3X mags.

I understand the BR’s are finicky feeding out of std short actions, hence the GAP developing the GT.

Looking to put together a light recoil 6mm for my kid and never messed with a BR, looks pretty ideal except for the question about feeding.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Anyone chamber a tikka T3x in 6BR and have any feedback or experience with feeding from the factory magazines?

Not CTR or AICS mags but the std T3X mags.

I understand the BR’s are finicky feeding out of std short actions, hence the GAP developing the GT.

Looking to put together a light recoil 6mm for my kid and never messed with a BR, looks pretty ideal except for the question about feeding.
Bumping an old post, but did you ever do this build? I’m kicking around the idea of doing the same thing.

@Carl Ross has a 22BR on a tikka, i forget what his exact results were but it didn't sound like feeding was 100% flawless from factory mags IIRC.

I've been interested in doing one and getting a waters rifleman BR mag from Australia but I dont think he does lower capacity hunting versions. It does sound about perfect for young shooters.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
It seems with the companies that make improved feeding kits for the 6br in various magazines, the common thread is to add a block to the rear of the mag to reduce space, and a shorter length follower and maybe a special spring that’s putting upward pressure further forward.

With the increased interest in this cartridge (and slightly longer versions) for steel plate competitions, there are sure to be more magazines dedicated to these shorties.

It hasn‘t made it yet, but I have a 6br barrel on a ups truck somewhere. I’m excited to get it to the range. I bought the barrel slightly used with no background so it might be really good or really bad, but it was cheap so this will be inexpensive fun to try it out.

N2TRKYS

WKR
It seems with the companies that make improved feeding kits for the 6br in various magazines, the common thread is to add a block to the rear of the mag to reduce space, and a shorter length follower and maybe a special spring that’s putting upward pressure further forward.

With the increased interest in this cartridge (and slightly longer versions) for steel plate competitions, there are sure to be more magazines dedicated to these shorties.

It hasn‘t made it yet, but I have a 6br barrel on a ups truck somewhere. I’m excited to get it to the range. I bought the barrel slightly used with no background so it might be really good or really bad, but it was cheap so this will be inexpensive fun to try it out.
Is it for a Tikka? Keep me posted on how it turns out and what mags you go with.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_6728.jpeg

22 BR Tikka from yesterday.

@wind gypsy @N2TRKYS

I built a 22 BR with more or less a Rokslide special blueprint. 20" barrel (for once the can comes in, though I love the current length & handling). Very easy to shoot and spot shots, 88 ELD's at +/- 2800 stay above 1800 fps past 700 yds in my typical atmosphere for terminal performance as far as I'm interested in stretching it on game. Nearly matches my 6 Dasher comp rifle ballistics. Tight vertical at 1000 yds, consistent sub minute 10 shot groups at 100 with no load work beyond finding pressure. It's my favorite field rifle I've used, if you feel the 88 is up for the task.

Biggest downside is the only mags I have that feed 100% are my 12 rd MDT BR mags, great at the range but kinda suck to carry. My short AICS with a kit has hiccups, the factory mags I've tried are worse. Once Waters gets their 6 rd BR mags back in stock I plan to pony up and try one. Might mess with factory one more go round, but not till the seasons over.

I've had silly thoughts like cutting it to 16" and punching it to 22 Creed, should pick up plenty of speed, keep it shorter for the can, and have the option of factory mags. Adding the can the recoil would be a wash I expect, but I think it'd lose it's manners and it'd definitely get shot a fair amount less.

View attachment 629921

@wind gypsy @N2TRKYS

I built a 22 BR with more or less a Rokslide special blueprint. 20" barrel (for once the can comes in, though I love the current length & handling). Very easy to shoot and spot shots, 88 ELD's at +/- 2800 stay above 1800 fps past 700 yds in my typical atmosphere for terminal performance as far as I'm interested in stretching it on game. Nearly matches my 6 Dasher comp rifle ballistics. Tight vertical at 1000 yds, consistent sub minute 10 shot groups at 100 with no load work beyond finding pressure. It's my favorite field rifle I've used, if you feel the 88 is up for the task.

Biggest downside is the only mags I have that feed 100% are my 12 rd MDT BR mags, great at the range but kinda suck to carry. My short AICS with a kit has hiccups, the factory mags I've tried are worse. Once Waters gets their 6 rd BR mags back in stock I plan to pony up and try one. Might mess with factory one more go round, but not till the seasons over.

I've had silly thoughts like cutting it to 16" and punching it to 22 Creed, should pick up plenty of speed, keep it shorter for the can, and have the option of factory mags. Adding the can the recoil would be a wash I expect, but I think it'd lose it's manners and it'd definitely get shot a fair amount less.

Compromise.. 17 or 18" and 22 GT. I haven't seen anything about how the GT works in factory mags though either and have heard they aren't as seamless in 308 mags as they were hoped to be.

Lawnboi

WKR
View attachment 629921

@wind gypsy @N2TRKYS

A 16” 22 creed is pretty awesome. Barrel life might not be the best. But that’s what the 223 is for.

No mag issues, headstamped brass available from multiple sources and I guess it’s going to be a saami cartridge here soon.

Big fan of mine, I’ll probably always keep a 22 creed barrel around. That said it’s hard not to make it an 18” 6 creed and not have to worry about 22 cal laws.

sndmn11

WKR
I had OK success with short Tikka magazines in factory form with mine. I do have the MDT 22br specific magazines and they have been 100% for me in a bravo. I also have had 100% success using the MDT 5 round polymer short; I forgot the 22BR magazines one day but my wife remembered hers for 7-08.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Compromise.. 17 or 18" and 22 GT. I haven't seen anything about how the GT works in factory mags though either and have heard they aren't as seamless in 308 mags as they were hoped to be.
I could probably go 16" GT and keep the velocity plus some I bet. I even have a couple pieces of GT brass I could test feeding with if I hadn't run them through my Dasher sizing die! Hate to start over with dies and brass at least for this one, I'll probably live with the mag situation for a few years till the barrel is tired. Or build a 22 Creed to supplement...

A 16” 22 creed is pretty awesome. Barrel life might not be the best. But that’s what the 223 is for.

No mag issues, headstamped brass available from multiple sources and I guess it’s going to be a saami cartridge here soon.

Big fan of mine, I’ll probably always keep a 22 creed barrel around. That said it’s hard not to make it an 18” 6 creed and not have to worry about 22 cal laws.
The 22 Creed has it's appeal, that's for sure. I'm certainly not anti - 6 Creed, but shooting the 22 BR beside my 6 Creed it's clear which is friendlier, not to mention cheaper to shoot and less barrel heat per shot. I downsized my "big" gun to 6mm, but don't see myself dropping to only 22 cal.

I had OK success with short Tikka magazines in factory form with mine. I do have the MDT 22br specific magazines and they have been 100% for me in a bravo. I also have had 100% success using the MDT 5 round polymer short; I forgot the 22BR magazines one day but my wife remembered hers for 7-08.
Maybe my polymer MDT AICS pattern mag sucks, but it's worse than Tikka factory for me. I AM glad the metal MDT's run perfect, even if I don't like how they carry the best.

OP
S

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping an old post, but did you ever do this build? I’m kicking around the idea of doing the same thing.

No, it was for my kid and I didn’t want her to have to deal with feed/function issues with a tikka BR experiment if I didn’t get it sorted out quickly enough - so I just got a seekins 6cm.

Was a little concerned with the jump in recoil to 6cm but its been acceptable with a can. She shoots it really well but can’t spot impacts like she could with the 6arc.

Turns out 6cm is the minimum for NRL hunter anyway, so that worked out okay

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Not 6br but close, I’ve been using factory t3x short action mags in my tikka 6arc and other than being way too long, the 3rd mags have fed 100% for me up to this point. Over 100rds fired through the magazine.
image.jpg