6.5 PRC Regrets

My Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor has shot 0.5 MOA owith 143 ELD-X/H4350 handloads. It kills whitetail deer dead as well as any other caliber I’ve used.

Anyone got a 6.5 PRC and with the tight chamber issues along with lack of component support, found it to not be worth the extra 200 FPS over the 6.5 Creedmoor? I think I got caught up in the numbers and in the real world, it didn’t blow me away.

Sled

WKR
i don't have a prc but a lot of 6.5 creedmoors. if i wanted those to be shot at game over 500 yards i'd certainly step up to the prc. i watched enough threads to know 6.5 prc ammo and components were in shorter supply than the CM but really everything was tight then. component availability is a factor for me prior to purchasing a new barrel or rifle

OP
General RE LEE
i don't have a prc but a lot of 6.5 creedmoors. if i wanted those to be shot at game over 500 yards i'd certainly step up to the prc. i watched enough threads to know 6.5 prc ammo and components were in shorter supply than the CM but really everything was tight then. component availability is a factor for me prior to purchasing a new barrel or rifle

Honestly the 270 Win can do everything the 6.5 PRC can do and Tikka has a 22” barrel Superlite version that is light like a toy.

Sled

WKR
Honestly the 270 Win can do everything the 6.5 PRC can do and Tikka has a 22” barrel Superlite version that is light like a toy.

that was my realization when i had a 270win in a savage that shot close to the fps as my 270wsm tikka. i regretted my decision to get the wsm initially but after i had all the components and saw the light at the end of the tunnel, i went with a custom barrel to get the benefits of the wsm.

the advantage of the 6.5 prc, as i see it, is the shorter action, better BC and a more efficient cartridge.

Out to 500 yards maybe. Depends on where you hunt. The benefit of the 6.5 PRC is shooting a 147gr bullet with a .69 bc at 3000 fps. That makes my set up good out to 1200 yards on big game. If all of your shots are less than 500 yards, I would argue a 6.5cm, 270, 708, 308, 243 and 30-06 are all just as good. Past 500 you are going to have to move up pretty significantly in cartridge to match the ballistics of the PRC.

I actually sold a 270wsm and bought the PRC. I was shooting 145gr eldx in the 270 wsm. I shoot 147 eldms in my PRC. The PRC is way better for the type of hunting I do. This year I did add a 280 AI to the stable for an UL mountain rifle as my PRC weighs 10.5lbs and I have always wanted the 280 AI.

Last edited:

axeforce6

WKR
Zero regrets from owning a couple 6.5 PRC’s. I do own a 270 like stated. But the 6.5 bullets are very efficient. I guess I’ve been fortunate with components. If I want box ammo midsouth has been emailing me daily with 6.5prc ammo in stock. I love the cartridge. It fills a lot of gaps.

JGRaider

WKR
My Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor has shot 0.5 MOA owith 143 ELD-X/H4350 handloads. It kills whitetail deer dead as well as any other caliber I’ve used.

Anyone got a 6.5 PRC and with the tight chamber issues along with lack of component support, found it to not be worth the extra 200 FPS over the 6.5 Creedmoor? I think I got caught up in the numbers and in the real world, it didn’t blow me away.
Aren't you the same mullet who "enjoys the kick of hard kicking rifles that lets me know the gun is alive and will absolutely wreck any critter in its path" ?

OP
General RE LEE
Aren't you the same mullet who "enjoys the kick of hard kicking rifles that lets me know the gun is alive and will absolutely wreck any critter in its path" ?

That thread was kind of a joke and didn’t mention anything about recoil here.

Tahoe1305

WKR
If you handload the longer than SAAMI throat of the tikka can close the gap on the PRC a bit. Loaded out to the lands and using superformance or RL26 you can get above 2900fps pretty easy with the factory 24” barrels. For me it wasn’t worth it to gain that extra bit. If there were more 155-160class bullets I may bite.

If I want more power I step up into the 7mms.

OP
General RE LEE
If you handload the longer than SAAMI throat of the tikka can close the gap on the PRC a bit. Loaded out to the lands and using superformance or RL26 you can get above 2900fps pretty easy with the factory 24” barrels. For me it wasn’t worth it to gain that extra bit. If there were more 155-160class bullets I may bite.

If I want more power I step up into the 7mms.

I had a 6.5 Creedmoor load with Nosler brass, Superformance and 140 Sierra TGK that chrono’d right at 2900 in warm weather. I didn’t want to deal with the temp swings though for Superformance.

nemis2010

FNG
Have you had any issues pushing or spinning bullets too fast? I hear the 150 SMK's can pop when rotated too quickly. Finishing up a 6.5-06AI so trying to find the best projectile.