6.5 PRC and 7 PRC

enoakes

FNG
Has anybody worked up a good load with the 7 PRC yet? I'm currently building a 6.5 prc and 7prc on the same chassis. Any ideas for the build would be appreciated.

This is what I have so far.

- Grayboe phoneix stock
-Long Defiance ANTI action
-Trigger tech action
-Carbonsix barrels one 6.5 and one 7mm

gabenzeke

WKR
Long range only has a whole thread devoted to the best loads people are finding. (Hopefully it's ok to say that here....). There are quite a few guys over there with builds that are posting updates on load development.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Flyjunky

WKR
Is your 7mm already chambered for the prc? If not, why not go for a 7mm rem or the 7lrm? Throated correctly they’ll both outperform the prc. That is, if you’re looking for max performance.

B23

WKR
Is your 7mm already chambered for the prc? If not, why not go for a 7mm rem or the 7lrm? Throated correctly they’ll both outperform the prc. That is, if you’re looking for max performance.
The 7 Rem mag and 7 PRC have pretty much identical case capacity, throated the same and loaded to the same pressure how do you figure the 7 Rem mag will outperform it? The 7 LRM has more case capacity so naturally it should shoot a tiny bit faster.

Flyjunky

WKR
The 7 Rem mag and 7 PRC have pretty much identical case capacity, throated the same and loaded to the same pressure how do you figure the 7 Rem mag will outperform it? The 7 LRM has more case capacity so naturally it should shoot a tiny bit faster.
Maybe I looked at the specs wrong but I thought the 7rm had about 1-3 grains more capacity depending on brass?

gabenzeke

WKR
As I understand it the 7 rem mag isn't even going to match the prc unless you start operating above saami spec pressures. Could be wrong, but that's one of the selling points Hornady has talked about. The 7 lrm really interested me, but it sounds like gunwerks is actively phasing it out which means you'd be forming the brass on your own in the future.

Flyjunky

WKR
As I understand it the 7 rem mag isn't even going to match the prc unless you start operating above saami spec pressures. Could be wrong, but that's one of the selling points Hornady has talked about. The 7 lrm really interested me, but it sounds like gunwerks is actively phasing it out which means you'd be forming the brass on your own in the future.

Interesting, I didn't hear about gunwerks phasing that out. That's too bad it spec'd out really well.

I just read through the 7prc guide on LRO, Ryan did a good job. I guess I read it as the 7rm, with a touch more capacity, could be made to match/outperform the 7prc with more freebore or custom chamber.

I don't even know why I really care I'm a .264/.308 guy.

gabenzeke

WKR
Interesting, I didn't hear about gunwerks phasing that out. That's too bad it spec'd out really well.

I just read through the 7prc guide on LRO, Ryan did a good job. I guess I read it as the 7rm, with a touch more capacity, could be made to match/outperform the 7prc with more freebore or custom chamber.

I don't even know why I really care I'm a .264/.308 guy.
It may be a while before the 7 lrm is gone altogether. Gunwerks made quite a few of those rifles I'm sure, and they'll still support them. But they aren't making any more of them if I understood it correctly and are switching over to the 7 prc. They did a podcast on it and it's worth a listen.

Flyjunky

WKR
It may be a while before the 7 lrm is gone altogether. Gunwerks made quite a few of those rifles I'm sure, and they'll still support them. But they aren't making any more of them if I understood it correctly and are switching over to the 7 prc. They did a podcast on it and it's worth a listen.

thanks, I will

B23

WKR
He typically measures case capacity in fired unsized cases. I'm not sure why and IMO that's not really the best way to get case capacity numbers since it'll vary depending on the chamber size of that specific rifle, but I am sure he has a reason as to why he does it that way. I prefer to measure case capacity on brass, after, it's been fired and FL sized as well as FL sized new brass. I believe that's a more accurate and consistent depiction of actual case capacities.

FURMAN

WKR
Too many variables in measuring sized brass. No it is not more consistent. In fact it is the opposite. Dies alone will change that dimension/measurement. How much did you bump the shoulder, how much did you reduce the neck size, etc. The fired brass is only going to grow to the chamber size which will only change based on the chamber dimensions you use. All I have listed are SAAMI. It does not get any more consistent than my method. Obviously there are other ways to do it which is why you see all the variance on the web. I hate it. It makes it hard for people to know the true difference. My way is as consistent as it gets and it gives a relative comparison that is a true measure of the internal capacity for comparison of different cartridges and brands of brass. I seriously doubt you will find anyone on the net with the collected data I have put on the net in regards to this topic. It is free do use or not if that is your choice. I won't comment on the rest of this discussion as I already put together the guide.

B23

WKR
Too many variables in measuring sized brass. No it is not more consistent. In fact it is the opposite. Dies alone will change that dimension/measurement. How much did you bump the shoulder, how much did you reduce the neck size, etc. The fired brass is only going to grow to the chamber size which will only change based on the chamber dimensions you use. All I have listed are SAAMI. It does not get any more consistent than my method. Obviously there are other ways to do it which is why you see all the variance on the web. I hate it. It makes it hard for people to know the true difference. My way is as consistent as it gets and it gives a relative comparison that is a true measure of the internal capacity for comparison of different cartridges and brands of brass. I seriously doubt you will find anyone on the net with the collected data I have put on the net in regards to this topic. It is free do use or not if that is your choice. I won't comment on the rest of this discussion as I already put together the guide.
Ez there trigger, I wasn't throwing shade on you and if you read what I said I mentioned I knew you had a reason you do it the way you do. I don't necessarily agree with you but that's ok because we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable can't we.

Maybe I'm wrong but I tend to think there is more variance in the chamber size/lenth of the many thousands of them out there, compared to the variance there may be in FL dies and, again, IMO the case capacity of unfired brass is its true case capacity, not after it's been fired. My way of thinking there is a lot more variance in fired cases from rifle to rifle than there is in FL sized brass which is what I believe matters more importantly.

If you completely disagree, I am more than fine with that.

FURMAN

WKR
Ez there trigger, I wasn't throwing shade on you and if you read what I said I mentioned I knew you had a reason you do it the way you do. I don't necessarily agree with you but that's ok because we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable can't we.

Maybe I'm wrong but I tend to think there is more variance in the chamber size/lenth of the many thousands of them out there, compared to the variance there may be in FL dies and, again, IMO the case capacity of unfired brass is its true case capacity, not after it's been fired. My way of thinking there is a lot more variance in fired cases from rifle to rifle than there is in FL sized brass which is what I believe matters more importantly.

If you completely disagree, I am more than fine with that.
I don't know why you assume I thought you were "throwing shade". I did not even quote you. We will have to agree to disagree because I have measured countless cases. Measured in different chambers and different dies. I am not relying on third party information. Again who cares. It is simply a relative comparison as no one is lighting their cases off with water. My comparisons are all apples to apples. Use it or don't. For the record, and I stated this on accurate shooter which I believe you were involved in the thread, the difference between sized and unsized is usually around .2-.3 grains which is statistically irrelevant in the discussion.

Reactions: B23

B23

WKR
Great, so were good then. Part of the problem with the internet VS face to face conversations, you can't sense tone or attitude through a monitor.

Anything I refer to with regard to case capacity is from me measuring them myself and I generally will add which manufacture as well. I usually get a little more difference in case capacity from fired to FL sized then .2-.3 and I only FL size enough for slight resistance so it's not like I'm pushing the shoulder back much and I typically run everything 1.5-2 thou neck tension.

Has anybody worked up a good load with the 7 PRC yet? I'm currently building a 6.5 prc and 7prc on the same chassis. Any ideas for the build would be appreciated.

This is what I have so far.

- Grayboe phoneix stock
-Long Defiance ANTI action
-Trigger tech action
-Carbonsix barrels one 6.5 and one 7mm
thats a sweet build!

Great, so were good then. Part of the problem with the internet VS face to face conversations, you can't sense tone or attitude through a monitor.

Anything I refer to with regard to case capacity is from me measuring them myself and I generally will add which manufacture as well. I usually get a little more difference in case capacity from fired to FL sized then .2-.3 and I only FL size enough for slight resistance so it's not like I'm pushing the shoulder back much and I typically run everything 1.5-2 thou neck tension.

Is there more variance in SAAMI chambers (done by a competent smith, not talking m700 or savage factory chambers) than virgin brass?

How do you set your die to FL size a case to be consistent with how someone else does? Isn't there variance between different dies?

Good discussion, and i'm open to reconsidering but i have typically liked the fired case measurements as I think it paints a clear picture of how much capacity is there when a case is expanded and bullet released in the chamber. Especially when you factor in stuff like how undersized some belted magnums cases are compared to the chamber size. Just measuring the brass would make one infer there is less space in the chamber when comparing to non-belted options of similar capacity.