6.5 PRC - 6.5 Creedmoor - life of a Carbon Barrel

Given barrels of reasonably the same quality, barrel life these days is almost a mute point. Even backyard shed "gunsmiths" can change out a barrel (a little humor there). So buy what you want, get out there and shoot them. If you reasonably keep track of your shooting thru your rifles you can make an informed decision or let the target tell you it's time to swap out a barrel.

Since you did comment about weight:
My bought used LRI built R700 w/Proof Carbon 6.5CM McMillan Carbon fill stock has been a great shooter so far with a wide variety of boxed ammo. I now have a factory Seekins PH2 6.5CM added to the herd that's NIB but not for much longer.
Both rigs with optics/rings (optics are within 4 oz by Manufacturer specs):
R700 w/Proof Carbon 24" optics/rings/Area 419 Sidewinder = 9lbs 15oz
Seekins PH2 24" optics/rings/Seekins ATC = 9lbs 8oz
If you were to look at these rifles side by side you might think the R700 weight is going to be much more than 1/2lb. If you need to shave off more weight then it's change barrel length.

Not to detract from the OP but, I am in search of a new lightweight 6.5 prc rifle. I’ve shot Bergara exclusively for the last 2-3 years and absolutely love them.

I am torn between a Bergara Premier Canyon or Christensen Ridgeline FFT (carbon barrel). Price is the same. CA is nearly a full Lb. lighter than Bergara. The biggest concerns I have is QC and break-in on the CA. I’ve never had any issues with either on the bergaras I’ve owned and handled.

Any input from this thread? Barrel life was an initial point of interest/ concern on the PRC for me that lead me here.
I have an FFT in 6.5prc. It's a very handy rifle with a vx5 hd 3-15x44 on top.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I must be getting lucky finding 6.5 prc. Sportsman warehouse has had Hornady Precision Hunter in stock online for at least the last three weeks. I will gladly buy online (usually with free shipping) instead of driving to the store every week to come out empty handed.

Just to update: I took a White tail Buck at 326yds with my Waypoint in 6.5CM, shooting Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X. I hit the deer broad side in the right shoulder. The projectile obliterated a lung, turned the heart into blood soup and exited the rib cage on the opposite side making a hole larger than a golf ball. The animal jumped, flipped forward onto his back, kicked for about 30sec and then died about 15' from where I shot him. Great rifle!