50k a day, endurance in purspective

SwiftShot

WKR
Human can out distance any land animal. The only one that comes close is the wolf or dogs of Africa.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
People can do a lot more than most think. I remember back when I was into triathlons, there was some guy who was competing in like 15-20 Ironman distance races a year and doing well….year after year.

He was a pro but I don’t think he ever really won any major races, he did finish them all in very respectful times though.

MThuntr

WKR
I did a 50k a couple summers ago. I learned that while just about any average person can do one...it's often just one 🤣.

Two gal pals ran the 50 miler at the same event and they both caught me in the last five miles...I got lapped by someone running 1.5 times the distance. They placed 1st and 3rd in the women's division. One went on to do a 100 mile race in Colorado...she is a crazy person. Half Marathon per day is about where Tara decides her time is best spent now.

TxxAgg

WKR
Wow. That is intense. It's awesome what the body and mind can achieve.

It's also pretty interesting that she can recover so well at age 41.

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider
I started one of Huberman’s podcast on how to increase endurance last night…I couldn’t make it through the podcast though

I just finished that one. I let them play on youtube in the background while I get stuff done in the morning.

Pretty interesting one, if you have time to kill.

TxxAgg

WKR
I was thinking about this today. I don't know how her joints hold up. Hope she keeps after it.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
50k/day is damn incredible for multiple days in a row. I follow a few runners on Strava that finished off 2022 very strong. It started with No Rest November which was a 10k/day. That turned in to Sudden Death December where you added 1k/day for the month of December. December 1 started with an 11k and there were a handful of people that ran a 42k on December 31.

It's incredible what the human body is capable of. I was thinking about this the other day. I think we've been conditioned that an hour of exercise a day is all we need and more than that is overkill. We shortchange what we're really capable of.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
That was quite impressive. It’s fascinating to see what a human body and mind are capable of.
More power to her.

LostArra

WKR
Incredible mental and physical toughness!

Fast forward 15 years: She'll be sponsored on these Triathlon Knee ads

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Incredible mental and physical toughness!

Fast forward 15 years: She'll be sponsored on these Triathlon Knee ads
Based on current evidence, as a competitive runner she has a slightly higher risk of hip and knee osteoarthritis than the general population. Recreational runners actually have a much lower risk of hip and knee osteoarthritis than the general population.

The idea that she will certainly have knee problems is based on myth.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Looks like she is still going at day 133.