50 yard zero with sig kilo 5k ?

Are there any issues with setting a zero at 50 yards if I’m dialing with my ballistic rangefinder for all my shots anyway ? I had to re zero the other day and the heat mirage was so bad I was having a hard time seeing a clear picture @ 100 yards. I was thinking about re doing that zero at 50 yards hoping to have a clearer image of my paper since the heat isn’t really letting up.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Are there any issues with setting a zero at 50 yards if I’m dialing with my ballistic rangefinder for all my shots anyway ? I had to re zero the other day and the heat mirage was so bad I was having a hard time seeing a clear picture @ 100 yards. I was thinking about re doing that zero at 50 yards hoping to have a clearer image of my paper since the heat isn’t really letting up.

Yes. One, being sub 65’ish yards, the range must be exact, and the zero must be exact. Small errors stack to create relatively large ones down range.
Two, at that close of range it is much harder to detect the true center of the cone that the system is producing, and being off by .2-.5” creates a large built in error.

If you are going to be shooting past 200 to 250 yards, a solid 100 yard zero is the best favor you can do for yourself, to have the least headaches.

Rich M

WKR
We use 25 or 50 for "getting on paper" at 100 when sighting scope. Then will take it out incrementally w adjustments. Even from 100 to 200 will often require "windage" (L/R) adjustments.

The weather should cool off before too long - it's been keeping us from shooting too. The heat indexes here have been like 105-115 lately and eh, got a couple months before hunting.

The Guide

WKR
That 50 yard zero is fine if you true/verify it at distance. That distance might be 200 or 400 yards but it has to be verified and trued at a longer range before you accept it as correct and proper.

Jay