5 points in Colorado

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a nonresident with 5pp in CO already thinking about applications in the next few weeks. I'm 0/3 on my hunts so far - all either second choice tags or accompanying a tagholder.

Work schedule usually limits me to archery season and I'm considering using my points this year. My hang-up is this is basically no-mans-land: There are several units that only need 1-3 points right now for archery, but I'm unlikely to catch the group above at 7-9 points with point creep. It makes me wonder to what end I should be accumulating points, especially if I only target CO elk every 2-3 years.

So with that, I'm here for advice and perspective on what to do. Burn the points on a unit that probably doesn't need 5 points, or keep building them and continue hunting second choice/secondary draw/leftover/OTC in the meantime?

HoytHntr4

WKR
I would just compile a list of the units you should be able to draw, then take a look at them on OnX and determine what kind of terrain & access would give you the kind of hunt you’d like, 5 points isn’t going to give you any better of a chance of killing a bigger bull than 2 points would. Unless the system changes most people will not theoretically live long enough to hunt those “good” units in Colorado so hunt as often as possible, especially before the wolves take hold

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
Everything I've read says the western states are preparing to make the points system harder or even obsolete. So, burn them or lose them is the prevailing logic.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's either use them now or be in limbo for 4-5 years until you can draw a good unit. But, the best units take like 30 points now! And that's for a archery tag. Crazy.

RunNGunSC

FNG
Wouldn’t the reduction of OTC hunts increase the value of points? after a few years you may see point creep slow, as more people get tired of fewer OTC and second choice tags and burn points more often

I'm a nonresident with 5pp in CO already thinking about applications in the next few weeks. I'm 0/3 on my hunts so far - all either second choice tags or accompanying a tagholder.

Work schedule usually limits me to archery season and I'm considering using my points this year. My hang-up is this is basically no-mans-land: There are several units that only need 1-3 points right now for archery, but I'm unlikely to catch the group above at 7-9 points with point creep. It makes me wonder to what end I should be accumulating points, especially if I only target CO elk every 2-3 years.

So with that, I'm here for advice and perspective on what to do. Burn the points on a unit that probably doesn't need 5 points, or keep building them and continue hunting second choice/secondary draw/leftover/OTC in the meantime?
Shoot me a message if you want to bounce ideas about some specific units. My thoughts will mostly be the same as others so far. Any units in that range will be about the same as far as hunt quality, and the hunt is what you make it! I've spent some time in a number of those units.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Burn them for sure!
Start learning a specific unit and the outcome will reward greatly.

Newberg is telling everyone to burn their points so the competition will be fierce. I’m not dumping my no Mans land of 7 in a 3 point unit. I’ll just keep building them up in hopes of drawing a premium tag when I’m 90 or until all you other guys are finished dumping yours

Last edited:
I burned 12deer pts on whats typically a 20pt hunt. Worst hunt in decades, I found three mature buck and killed one of them on last day.

CO is basically 1:4 or 1:5pt difference between Res and NR.

moral just hunt. I have i think 15 elk points and hunt every year. I’ve only been skunked once in last 16 years. You determine your success not the unit. higher Unit PP numbers typically mean easier on the joints first, and maybe better ratio’s second.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Knowing what units 5 points will get you, I'd hang on for at least 2-3 more years. I'm starting from scratch again this year but will collect points until I can draw the unit or units I want to get. IMO I'd rather hunt OTC for no points than waste 5 points on a unit that might as well be OTC.

If you can only hunt CO every 2-3 years like you say, it's a no brainer to use the points now and then start building 1-2 points and hunt units that require low PP going forward. There are too many unknowns in the future to just keep accumulating points and not hunt.

Slugz

WKR
Point creep is one of the handful of high level targets for CPW to solve.
My gut says most likley you will not be able to bank points and hunt on a ( leftover, 2nd. 3rd choice tag)

Hunt when you can and hunt often