5 mm HIT arrows - do you really need collars?

Like I've said before........I've been using several different 5mm type arrows pretty much exclusively the past 15 years and have had very few issues overall just using HIT's......no collars, no BAR's. Financially it has made no sense for me to go to collars or try something else. If it isn't broken, and works well, what's there to fix? But apparently collars would be a really good investment for a lot of guys. Use whatever you have to to have durable arrows and have confidence in them.
Came to say the same thing. I've never had one fail at the insert. Actually, I havent had one fail ever. I've broken many, but thats all my fault.

BBob

WKR
Ha! I just put an un-collared Black Max glued HIT insert in an Axis 340 straight into a brick wall at 20yds testing a new release. I told myself to shoot it at three feet first but no, I said it'll be fine. Well other than a bent point and a missing knock the arrow survived just fine :)

Last edited:
Are y’all breaking shafts on animals, on pass-thrus that hit rock, or on targets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4rcgoat

WKR
Been using axis 5mm for at least 6 years, no collar and never an issue. Qad exodus heads with no BARR and never had an issue, the end of the exodus heads are slightly larger than the shaft so the adapter seems useless.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Collars that overlap the HIT insert add a lot of strength when you have a hard side impact, like a glancing blow on a leg bone, knuckle, or spine for instance. I've done a lot of heavy bone impact testing with broadheads and ruined a lot of arrows (damaging the carbon near the tip) before I started making our Impact Collars. I used these just for my own testing and hunting for a couple of years prior to selling them and found my arrows lasted much longer. Even with moderate impacts, the carbon near the tip will get a little deformed and the Impact Collar prevents this. I go through a lot less arrows since adding the collars.

Marble

WKR
If your shafts are perfectly square/chamfered, your points are at minimum the exact same OD if not just slightlyl larger, you keep your points tight, and have properly glued the inserts in with epoxy you should be fine.

Collars are just a little insurance, but not required.
Truth right here...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Split the difference and get the Easton BAR. It will help out a lot and is way cheaper than the IW at a minimal weight penalty but adds performance and some metal between the broadhead and shaft. I personally have broken a decent amount of 5mm Axis arrows in critters and on rocks etc but they will usually break 6in to 1 foot down the shaft from the point. Never broken one at the HIT insert with a BAR installed.
This is what I do and they square and dave me arrows.

They are cheap and effective. I think they weigh 5 grains so your zero won't change.

KineKilla

WKR
When I break arrows, I break them right! No collar is going to save my arrow during a head on encounter with a boulder.

I usually only break arrows doing the TAC shoots each year. I usually only fire 1 or maybe 2 arrows during actual hunting season and so far have not broken one on an Elk and a Mt. Goat.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Duuane

FNG
I'd like to piggyback on this post because the only other one about this that I found was older. I recently bought Easton Axis arrows from Lancaster Archery. I had them cut them to length and put in the inserts, so I assume it was done right. I've mostly used the same 6 for tuning and sight adjustment. The only targets these arrows have been shot into are a large bag target, and a block. Today when I pulled them from the bag, one of them was mushroomed and a piece was peeled from the side of the shaft. This is a little concerning to me. I never missed the target, and I didn't damage it with another arrow causing a weakness that mushroomed after more impacts with the bag. I thought maybe the insert was loose, but I put the point in a vise and couldn't move the insert. I have the BARS but they aren't installed. Any thoughts??

I'd like to piggyback on this post because the only other one about this that I found was older. I recently bought Easton Axis arrows from Lancaster Archery. I had them cut them to length and put in the inserts, so I assume it was done right. I've mostly used the same 6 for tuning and sight adjustment. The only targets these arrows have been shot into are a large bag target, and a block. Today when I pulled them from the bag, one of them was mushroomed and a piece was peeled from the side of the shaft. This is a little concerning to me. I never missed the target, and I didn't damage it with another arrow causing a weakness that mushroomed after more impacts with the bag. I thought maybe the insert was loose, but I put the point in a vise and couldn't move the insert. I have the BARS but they aren't installed. Any thoughts??

Probably didn’t square the ends. Or the saw blade splintered it when they cut them.

I’d imagine if the arrows weren’t flying straight, it might exasperate things as well.

For what it’s worth, I’m shooting the 5mm RIP TKO with iron will hits and collars. Every one I’ve broke has snapped behind the insert and collar on hard impacts. Not sure the collars make much of a difference.

Marble

WKR
OK thanks
Every ounce in a while I'll grab my arrows and out a few spins on the champher tool. It keeps the ends cleaned up.

And I have never had one mushroom unless I hit something really hard. Even slamming into an old tree they normally come out juat fine. So your is definitely something I haven't seen.

I won’t build arrows without the collars. I’ve seen that system laugh at things that buddies arrows broke on. At the end of the day they are still breakable though. I hit a connex on a dumb pulled shot with my hinge and the field tip and insert were fine while the collar split down the middle and arrow shaft splintered.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
In 15 years I have never used a collar period
You've been lucky. With brass HIT inserts and steel ferrules on the broadhead you can get by. Any aluminum and I have had them snap off right in front of HIT insert. Some on game shots. I use outserts or collars now.