5 inch suppressor for long action or magnum cartridges?

Loper

WKR
I've been considering getting a suppressor and one of the big drawbacks for me is the added length at the end of the muzzle. I've done a fair amount of research, and it seems that a lot of suppressors come in 5", 7" and 9" lengths. As I understand it, a 7" is a good all around length. However, that to me still seems too long.

Do any of you run a 5" suppressor on a 7 or 30 cal magnum cartridge or a LA cartridge like 30-06? If so, how does it do reducing the sound? Is the recoil reduction noticeable? Any regrets using a 5" over a 7" or longer suppressor?

For those who have a 7" or longer suppressor, do you wish you would have gone with a shorter one?

If it was on a .308 WIN, 6.5 CM, or any other short action, non-magnum cartridge I don't think I'd have any concerns about going with a 5" suppressor.

Geewhiz

WKR
I would say that it depends on what you're looking to get out of it. MY wants for a suppressor is max sound suppression at any length. To ME, thats the point of a suppressor. Other people prefer to knock a bit off the decibals at a shorter overall length. I know alot of people that prefer the 5 or 7 over the 9 for oal reasons.

Personally, if I'm going to spend well over a grand on a suppressor I want it to suppress as much as possible.

ID_Matt

WKR
I have a tbac 5" and multiple 7". I love the 5" for hunting. In my opinion it cuts plenty of sound for hunting purposes. Most of the guys I shoot around only notice a slight difference compared to the longer cans. The sound difference didn't bother me as much as the recoil reduction. My 7" cans do a much better job of taming the recoil.

I use mine on a 22" 7 saum. For hunting specific, it is great. For range shooting, it is not the best. If you are just looking for 1 can, I would recommend something 6-7" that will cover all types of shooting. If that makes your length too long, I would cut an inch or 2 off the barrel.

Geewhiz

WKR
I have a tbac 5" and multiple 7". I love the 5" for hunting. In my opinion it cuts plenty of sound for hunting purposes. Most of the guys I shoot around only notice a slight difference compared to the longer cans. The sound difference didn't bother me as much as the recoil reduction. My 7" cans do a much better job of taming the recoil.

I use mine on a 22" 7 saum. For hunting specific, it is great. For range shooting, it is not the best. If you are just looking for 1 can, I would recommend something 6-7" that will cover all types of shooting. If that makes your length too long, I would cut an inch or 2 off the barrel.
Honest question. What was the selling point for you to buy the 5? What is the advantage that is worth $1300 to you? From what I have read it is not hearing safe. I suppose it may be a good amount quieter downrange at what you're shooting at?

ID_Matt

WKR
Honest question. What was the selling point for you to buy the 5? What is the advantage that is worth $1300 to you? From what I have read it is not hearing safe. I suppose it may be a good amount quieter downrange at what you're shooting at?
Length and weight was the biggest seller. Also filled a niche in my suppressor stable - i have an omega and a gemtech tracker. Only paid $900 so that was a big factor. I am not sure what the threshold for hearing safe is but it is still substantially quieter than no can. It really is closer to my omega than most would guess. I still wear ear plugs at the range with any can.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the Thunderbeast Ultra 5 and Ultra 7. The Ultra 7 is a better "do it all" can for a mix of hunting and recreational/competition shooting, or if you do a decent amount of practice throughout the year. The 5" is great if you are counting every ounce/inch for hunting, or if you just flat-out don't send many rounds downrange throughout the year.

A big factor in the decision will be how short you're willing to go on barrel length, and if you have (or would be getting) a folding chassis that would also help with overall length.

I'd rather go shorter on barrel and longer on suppressor, compared to longer on barrel and shorter on suppressor. For example, I'd take an 18-20" barrel with a 7" can compared to a 22-24" barrel with a 5" can. When I want to be really light and compact, I'll put the 5" on the 18-20" barrel.

Some of my other ramblings and lessons-learned about hunting with a suppressor... https://exomtngear.com/blogs/article/hunting-with-a-suppressor-lessons-learned

Look at the TBAC Dominus K, I was comparing it side by side with my Ultra 7 a couple weekends ago and it seemed slightly quieter across all platforms. I was very surprised how quiet that little can is. If I was buying a new suppressor today that’s absolutely what I would be buying.

I've been considering getting a suppressor and one of the big drawbacks for me is the added length at the end of the muzzle. I've done a fair amount of research, and it seems that a lot of suppressors come in 5", 7" and 9" lengths. As I understand it, a 7" is a good all around length. However, that to me still seems too long.

Do any of you run a 5" suppressor on a 7 or 30 cal magnum cartridge or a LA cartridge like 30-06? If so, how does it do reducing the sound? Is the recoil reduction noticeable? Any regrets using a 5" over a 7" or longer suppressor?

For those who have a 7" or longer suppressor, do you wish you would have gone with a shorter one?

If it was on a .308 WIN, 6.5 CM, or any other short action, non-magnum cartridge I don't think I'd have any concerns about going with a 5" suppressor.
I've been helping a buddy pick out a short can for his 7RM and have narrowed it down to just a few 6.5" short, fat, titanium cans. The Nomad Ti is one, and the Diligent Defense Enticer S-Ti is the other. They are very similar in size, weight, and suppression and only $100 different in price. They are also WAY quieter than something like an Ultra 5, with both of them pretty close to the Ultra 9. The Liberty Precision Anthem-S is a little head of them in suppression, but made of 17-4 so its 6-8oz heavier.

If you have a Silencer Shop kiosk nearby, I would do the Nomad Ti (maybe wait for black friday in hopes of gift card promo or free tax stamp) with their single shot trust, and we found out that Silencer Central will transfer in a Diligent Defense and let you take advantage of their free trust and payment plan.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Do you guys still wear ear plugs when hunting with a good can? I have tinnitus pretty bad already so I'm trying to preserve my hearing at all costs. Waiting on a Nomad-Ti, for reference.

Do you guys still wear ear plugs when hunting with a good can? I have tinnitus pretty bad already so I'm trying to preserve my hearing at all costs. Waiting on a Nomad-Ti, for reference.
I don't wear plugs while hunting with a muffler when number of rounds fired should be very low. For general shooting with a muffler I wear plugs every time.

FWIW...I have a Rugged Radiant..its around 7" or you can break it in half and make it around 5"..I only use the k config for my ARs..

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Personally, if I'm going to spend well over a grand on a suppressor I want it to suppress as much as possible.
Fair point.

Thanks for feedback. The primary use of a can for me would be for hunting to somewhat reduce the loudness of the shot fired as I may or may not have plugs in my ears depending on the situation and I'd like to minimize the disturbance on game. Recoil reduction would be secondary.

While it would be appreciated at the range, I don't see this as a primary use for the can, as I will definitely have hearing protection, no matter if it is a 5" can or 9" can.

I'd rather go shorter on barrel and longer on suppressor, compared to longer on barrel and shorter on suppressor. For example, I'd take an 18-20" barrel with a 7" can compared to a 22-24" barrel with a 5" can. When I want to be really light and compact, I'll put the 5" on the 18-20" barrel.

Some of my other ramblings and lessons-learned about hunting with a suppressor... https://exomtngear.com/blogs/article/hunting-with-a-suppressor-lessons-learned

Good feedback on the shorter barrel/longer can vs shorter can/longer barrel. If getting a suppressor, I would most likely have a shorter barrel 18"-20". However, if going to 18" I feel like I'd want a magnum or long action cartridge to try and retain as much velocity as possible.

BTW Your article and podcast discussions was some of the research I was referring to in my original post. The info you put out is great and super helpful.

Look at the TBAC Dominus K, I was comparing it side by side with my Ultra 7 a couple weekends ago and it seemed slightly quieter across all platforms. I was very surprised how quiet that little can is. If I was buying a new suppressor today that’s absolutely what I would be buying.
I'll have to look into the Dominus. what are the cons compared to the Ultra 7, is it heavier, longer?

I've been helping a buddy pick out a short can for his 7RM and have narrowed it down to just a few 6.5" short, fat, titanium cans. The Nomad Ti is one, and the Diligent Defense Enticer S-Ti is the other. They are very similar in size, weight, and suppression and only $100 different in price. They are also WAY quieter than something like an Ultra 5, with both of them pretty close to the Ultra 9. The Liberty Precision Anthem-S is a little head of them in suppression, but made of 17-4 so its 6-8oz heavier.

If you have a Silencer Shop kiosk nearby, I would do the Nomad Ti (maybe wait for black friday in hopes of gift card promo or free tax stamp) with their single shot trust, and we found out that Silencer Central will transfer in a Diligent Defense and let you take advantage of their free trust and payment plan.

I'll put these on my list to review as well. Good call on checking out the Black Friday deals.

I don't wear plugs while hunting with a muffler when number of rounds fired should be very low. For general shooting with a muffler I wear plugs every time.
This is my thinking exactly.

I have a few Rex Silentium MG7k’s, they come in at 5.6” oal. My 30cal can makes my 300wsm, and short 308’s pleasant to shoot. I still wear ear pro if I’ll be shooting a bunch, but for a few rounds it’s not bad at all.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Fair point.

Thanks for feedback. The primary use of a can for me would be for hunting to somewhat reduce the loudness of the shot fired as I may or may not have plugs in my ears depending on the situation and I'd like to minimize the disturbance on game. Recoil reduction would be secondary.

While it would be appreciated at the range, I don't see this as a primary use for the can, as I will definitely have hearing protection, no matter if it is a 5" can or 9" can.

Good feedback on the shorter barrel/longer can vs shorter can/longer barrel. If getting a suppressor, I would most likely have a shorter barrel 18"-20". However, if going to 18" I feel like I'd want a magnum or long action cartridge to try and retain as much velocity as possible.

BTW Your article and podcast discussions was some of the research I was referring to in my original post. The info you put out is great and super helpful.

I'll have to look into the Dominus. what are the cons compared to the Ultra 7, is it heavier, longer?

I'll put these on my list to review as well. Good call on checking out the Black Friday deals.

This is my thinking exactly.

I don’t think there are any cons to the dominus, it’s lighter, shorter and quieter than an ultra 7. It’s just a larger diameter.

I don’t think there are any cons to the dominus, it’s lighter, shorter and quieter than an ultra 7. It’s just a larger diameter.
I still see this as a downside. Even with my 1.5" cans and I usually use medium or high rings, I can still see the suppressor in my scope when on magnification below 5x. Its not the end of the world, but just a word of caution for someone trying to run their scope as close to the barrel as possible and getting a large diameter can.