4th Season Elk Colorado Unit 36

edevans

FNG
I drew a 4th Season Cow Tag for Unit 36. This is going to be my first hunt out west. What can I expect weather wise? And what general tips can you give for hunting cow elk 4th season? Any gear you would recommend as a must for 4th season?

Ucsdryder

WKR
in the last 3 years I’ve hunted 4th season and had it be below zero. Expect it to be cold, expect it to be windy and rainy and snowy. If you’re camping have your shit together. It’s really hard to start a fire when your fingers are numb, there’s 2 feet of snow and everything is wet. I don’t camp 4th season. It’s not worth it.

as far as cow elk? Good luck, still trying to figure them out! Sometimes I think they’re harder to kill than bulls.

RO1459

FNG
While I've never hunted unit 36, knowing it is up near Vail tells me that the hunting will be similar to my area. Hunts over 8,000ft. That said, the typical 4th season hunt at that altitude can be very cold and have heavy snow. If camping, you must have chains and I would highly suggest you bring some type of Personal Locator Beacon (InReach) in case you need rescue. (Not a joke) The reason is that you indicate that this is your first hunt at that altitude and time frame. Additionally, this year the 4th season has been moved back to November 24th. That is 10 days later than normal. I have hunted Colorado for 40 years and have never hunted during the 4th season because of the weather. You can typically expect heavy snow and cold temps.

I don't want to scare you, but if you have never hunted in Colorado and are hunting during the 4th season, you may not be prepared for what you are going to contend with. Good luck.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
While I've never hunted unit 36, knowing it is up near Vail tells me that the hunting will be similar to my area. Hunts over 8,000ft. That said, the typical 4th season hunt at that altitude can be very cold and have heavy snow. If camping, you must have chains and I would highly suggest you bring some type of Personal Locator Beacon (InReach) in case you need rescue. (Not a joke) The reason is that you indicate that this is your first hunt at that altitude and time frame. Additionally, this year the 4th season has been moved back to November 24th. That is 10 days later than normal. I have hunted Colorado for 40 years and have never hunted during the 4th season because of the weather. You can typically expect heavy snow and cold temps.

I don't want to scare you, but if you have never hunted in Colorado and are hunting during the 4th season, you may not be prepared for what you are going to contend with. Good luck.

If you think that’s crazy, this idiot right here has a 4th season tag for Unit 47.........

Have lots of back up plans and different areas to hunt. Some spots might look great on google earth but remember that there will likely be a couple feet of snow everywhere. Bushwhacking a couple miles in the deep snow with those temps can be pretty brutal

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
What are guys relying on for boots during these hunts. As a tree stand hunter I own some heavy duty boots but obviously those aren't for hiking. I also have a 4th season tag and am in the market for new boots.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
What are guys relying on for boots during these hunts. As a tree stand hunter I own some heavy duty boots but obviously those aren't for hiking. I also have a 4th season tag and am in the market for new boots.

I don't change up my boots (Crispi Idahos). I roll with heavier merino socks and a pair of gaiters. In fact, all of my gear is pretty much the same through hunting season except I roll with heavier wool base layers, a sitka core heavyweight hoody, and a windproof shell.

midwestwi

FNG
I hunted 36 last year during 2nd season and had an elk and deer tag. We camped at 9600 feet. We had 16" of snow one night and it got down to -1 the following morning. I would plan for something like that or worse.