4 wheelers/ ATV's in the west

Hey Rokslide,

I made a post a few weeks ago about living in the Front Range. Anyways, moving out May 15th from Tennessee for a job in Natural resources with the fed govt.

Anyways, point of this post is just to ask how useful 4wheelers are in the west? Should I haul it out to Colorado for game retrieval and getting where my F150 can't? I have hunted elk and antelope once each. I'm looking forward to doing a lot more western big game hunting over the next few years, I have points accrued in a number of western states and am looking to cash in on them soon.

Just to clarify, I am NOT a recreational rider, it is a tool for me and that's it. I only use it for hunting purposes. If it won't be beneficial to me more often than not I will sell it.

-TR69

cnelk

WKR
If you’re not a recreational rider or use the atv for snow removal or other tasks, I doubt you will want it.

Rarely do I use either of mine for game retrieval - but I will use them to ride on narrow atv trails to get to hunting spots

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
ATV will open more hunting opportunities, as for retrieving game no, unless it’s on the designated trail

jimh406

WKR
There are people who use ATV/UTVs etc for game retrieval on private land. You can't take them off the approved roads, otherwise. You may want to use one to cover more ground via the roads for scouting etc.

So, it depends on the type of hunting you plan to do whether it will be useful or not. Maybe sell it. Then, buy another one "if" you find you need one. Take some of that money and buy gear/pack to pack out an animal using a gutless method or for quartering.

CorbLand

WKR
Look at the areas you plan to hunt and see if they are useful. Some areas they are and some they aren’t.

Around me, the only advantage they give is the ability to go faster and there’s a couple roads that are closed to vehicles but not an atv. They aren’t as useful. My brother hunts an area that has a lot of single track and a dirt bike made more sense.

Bring the atv and ride responsibly on designated roads only! I find it to be a useful tool for summer scouting and getting into far away areas wo beating the sh_t out of the F150. Hunt-wise, run it in, park it, and hike/backpack in way off the beaten path.

They are a necessity in the unit we hunt. Tons of ATV trails and it is how we get to where we hunt. 50” trails you can either walk for hours/miles or ride an ATV. Like others have said, depends on how you will use them.

Hey Rokslide,

I made a post a few weeks ago about living in the Front Range. Anyways, moving out May 15th from Tennessee for a job in Natural resources with the fed govt.

Anyways, point of this post is just to ask how useful 4wheelers are in the west? Should I haul it out to Colorado for game retrieval and getting where my F150 can't? I have hunted elk and antelope once each. I'm looking forward to doing a lot more western big game hunting over the next few years, I have points accrued in a number of western states and am looking to cash in on them soon.

Just to clarify, I am NOT a recreational rider, it is a tool for me and that's it. I only use it for hunting purposes. If it won't be beneficial to me more often than not I will sell it.

-TR69
Recreational riding is fun and legal. Don’t apologize for having that right. And, yes take the atv.

cnelk

WKR
To the OP - download the COTREX app - select the atv riding activity mode and you’ll see where you can legally ride/hunt/scout.

rbljack

WKR
i would DEFINILTY bring it. Do NOT sell it until you get out there. I think you would find it useful. Look up the approved roads and trails for use in the areas that you plan to hunt. With the price of trucks the way they are.......an ATV can save a LOT of wear and tear over taking a truck down some forest roads and trails. Just sayin. It aint cheating if its a legal means of travel in the areas you plan to hunt. Follow the rules and use them as intended. Thats my 2 cents

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I say bring it and reconsider next summer. There are areas where they are completely useless and places where they are very helpful.

N.ID7803

WKR
Yeah I would say take it. You will see a lot more country, quickly on an ATV than you will with just a pickup. I don't do a lot of recreating on an ATV, but if I want to go look at a potential new hunting area, I will use the ATV.

WCB

WKR
Bring it. If you sell it and want to then eventually find a need to buy one again it will cost you more. Keep it...even if you only need it a couple times a year it will be worth it. Also, if you want to scout in the summer or whatever to me it is just worth it to be able to park the truck lower on better roads and cruise up on a wheeler.

If the question was "should I buy one" the answer would be probably not. But if you already have it just keep it...at least until you are 100% sure you don't use it.

Is my brain making this up, or are there NF's that allow use of ATV for game retrieval under certain circumstances? I can't find it now with a quick search, but I swear I read where you can use on up to 1 mile for two trips, or use two of them up to 1 mile for a single trip. I don't ever plan on bringing one either way as I'm not hauling an ATV 1000 miles, but if I were local it would be a lot easier.

Is my brain making this up, or are there NF's that allow use of ATV for game retrieval under certain circumstances? I can't find it now with a quick search, but I swear I read where you can use on up to 1 mile for two trips, or use two of them up to 1 mile for a single trip. I don't ever plan on bringing one either way as I'm not hauling an ATV 1000 miles, but if I were local it would be a lot easier.
In Colorado you can depending on the unit, we have.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk