4 week crash diet/workout regimen ahead of Colorado elk hunt

Spikebuck

FNG
Headed to Colorado for My first western big game hunt in 4 weeks and need to drop some lbs and increase fitness fast.
Currently 6’ and 260. I’m a forester, so used to lots of walking, just not at altitude. Would like to lose as much weight as possible in the next 4 weeks to lighten my load and make all of my Kuiu pants fit a little better.
I also don’t want to be sucking wind too bad or kill myself hauling/butchering an mule deer or elk.
I have access to a stair climber and treadmill. I am alternating days on the machines right now as well as extensive stretching and push-ups. Anything else I should be doing for exercise?

What about diet? Keto plus intermittent fasting? Other ideas?

Thanks!

You're a little late for anything substantial. At this point, I would be thinking about staying healthy rather than beating myself up. Cut your calories by about 300-500 or so a day and you should drop some weight without feeling too much pain. Not to harp on you too hard but you should've thought about this in March.

Some low hanging fruit for success:
- Stop drinking anything that isn't water
- Eat real food at each meal, no junk food
- Try to get 8+ hours of sleep every night

And when you get back from the hunt, which I hope is an awesome experience, continue this trend into next year so that you will be better prepared. Good luck!

OP
S

Spikebuck

FNG
Aerobically I’m in pretty good shape, just carrying a little more around the midsection these days. I guess my biggest goal is losing lbs fast to fit in my terribly expensive hunting clothes better.

bdan68

WKR
Beef, butter, bacon, and eggs. Nothing else. Try doing one meal a day. In the morning would be best, if possible. And drink nothing but water. Almost guaranteed you'll drop some weight in a couple weeks. Might be more water weight than anything, but your clothes will fit better.

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
As a fat guy in Colorado sounds this sounds like every archery season for me . Weighted Step ups and weighted Stairmaster with core work is your friend. Late season isn't crazy altitude but walking thru 2 feet of snow will torch your hip flexors and lungs. Diet cut the booze and other junk, and overhydrate. My buddies from out east will drive cross country and inevitably one of them will be down the first day from headaches/cramping/etc because they were drinking nothing but red bulls and soda the whole way out. I'd personally keep the carbs but but reduce them, unless your already doing keto.

Last edited:

TheHammer

WKR
On top of some of these suggestions, box jumps, burpee’s, squats, I jump on a trampoline for reps targeting certain muscles strengthening my lower legs and sprint hills. Even if it’s a small hill. Everything needs to be done high intensity.

OP
S

Spikebuck

FNG
Down 10 already with 3 weeks to go. Cardio seems to be working along with cleaner eating and drinking lots of water. Any core/back specific at home exercises y’all can recommend? Just thinking about fatigue while dragging/quartering/skinning.

I’m in a different camp from everyone else. I try to put on as much weight as possible before the season starts. My only cardio consists of daily walks at 3-5 miles with little to no weight. I do 100 pushups and squats (no weight) each morning. A simple kb workout in the evening. I’ve been doing this for the past four years and it’s helped me be ready without getting an injury. I find my ability to move in the mountains is as good or better than when I spent hours in a gym. Best of luck to you this season.

If you try keto with only 4 weeks to acclimate you're going to be miserable. Sounds like clean eating and ramping up a fitness program is working for you. Next time start 3-4 months out and it'll be easier to maintain year round.

Down 10 already with 3 weeks to go. Cardio seems to be working along with cleaner eating and drinking lots of water. Any core/back specific at home exercises y’all can recommend? Just thinking about fatigue while dragging/quartering/skinning.
For core / back stuff search YouTube. There's a girl that goes by "Gainsbybrainz" that has some great 15 min core workouts and she is easy on the eyes.

Have you done any rucking/hiking with weight yet? That could help all areas including cardio. Start with low weight and time and work your way up. Staying injury free is the top priority right now.