357 mag subsonic - 250gr Sub-X?

I’m thinking about getting a 357 barrel for T/C contender with the idea of loading 250gr Sub-X bullet subsonics with my Wolfman .35/9mm suppressor, currently in jail.

I grew up using a contender, first .22lr barrel, then .223 the used a 30-30 to take my first deer when I was 8.

Now that I have little ones, I thought I could use the same to teach them, only better because I could suppress (already have .22lr and .30 cans) Now there a folding pistol brace adapters and I could use a LOP adjustable brace for my kids and myself.

Thinking about loading the 250gr Sub-x that Hornady makes for the 350 legend. I might have to use 38 special brass because the bullet is pretty long. Anyone done this? There are threaded barrels available in both 357 mag and 357 maximum. The 357 maximum barrel might work better with a longer freebore for the big 250. I think most of the barrels are 10.5” and 1/14 twist. Would that stabilize a 250gr @ 1000fps?

Primarily this would be a cool party trick but would also use it for pigs while bow hunting from tree or an occasional deer if it performs well.

Thoughts? Anyone done this or similar?

P.S. I’m already set up to load .38/357

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PantherCity
Just saw optics planet has the threaded 357 max barrel for $256.99 free shipping

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
1:14" should stabilize it just fine, especially since most 350L barrels are 1:16". I can't imagine Hornady would sell a projectile intended to be subsonic through suppressors without a big fat disclaimer if it needed a special twist rate; not doing so would be begging for a lot of really angry people with baffle strikes.

I think you're on the right track about having to use shorter brass since this is a loooooooong bullet. Personally I'd grab the Max barrel since I think it's a more flexible chambering, and you could probably get away with using these bullets with Mag brass in that chamber.

OP
PantherCity
1:14" should stabilize it just fine, especially since most 350L barrels are 1:16". I can't imagine Hornady would sell a projectile intended to be subsonic through suppressors without a big fat disclaimer if it needed a special twist rate; not doing so would be begging for a lot of really angry people with baffle strikes.

I think you're on the right track about having to use shorter brass since this is a loooooooong bullet. Personally I'd grab the Max barrel since I think it's a more flexible chambering, and you could probably get away with using these bullets with Mag brass in that chamber.

Thanks for the input!

I don’t know anything about the 357 barrel but if it was me I would seriously look at a 358 win instead.

You can always download it to subsonic, using some shotgun powder or H4895. Will give you lots of room for the longer bullet.

More importantly it will let you load it to normal velocities as well and make a real deer thumper out of it with increased range and energy. With the suppressor it would still be mild.

Kids grow fast, and will be able to shoot full load ammo before you know it!

Rich M

WKR
I load 357 mag from lead solids to hps to fury pointed bullets to the 165 gr ftx bullets for 350 Legend. Getting 1900-2000 fps w most of my jacketed loads and shoot the pointies out to 200-225 yds. (Cold barrel is 1900 fps 2 nd shot onward is 2000 fps). I use Lil Gun as it supposedly has lower pressures than many of the other pistol powders.

The ftx bullets are too long for my ruger m77/357 magazine but think they’ll work fine in a single shot 357 mag rifle i have. I love the 357 mag rifles and the 350 Legend as well. So many bullet options for the reloader. The .355-.357 bullet varieties are there if you want to play w diff stuff. I size the 357 bullets to 356 for the Legend.

You need to determine you powder and volume and go from there. The longer bullets may need to sit in 38 sp cases if they hold the powder you need under them. You will need less than what, 900 fps?

I just wonder about sesting the longer bullets in a shorter case. Only 1 way to find out.

OP
PantherCity
I load 357 mag from lead solids to hps to fury pointed bullets to the 165 gr ftx bullets for 350 Legend. Getting 1900-2000 fps w most of my jacketed loads and shoot the pointies out to 200-225 yds. (Cold barrel is 1900 fps 2 nd shot onward is 2000 fps). I use Lil Gun as it supposedly has lower pressures than many of the other pistol powders.

The ftx bullets are too long for my ruger m77/357 magazine but think they’ll work fine in a single shot 357 mag rifle i have. I love the 357 mag rifles and the 350 Legend as well. So many bullet options for the reloader. The .355-.357 bullet varieties are there if you want to play w diff stuff. I size the 357 bullets to 356 for the Legend.

You need to determine you powder and volume and go from there. The longer bullets may need to sit in 38 sp cases if they hold the powder you need under them. You will need less than what, 900 fps?

I just wonder about sesting the longer bullets in a shorter case. Only 1 way to find out.

Thank you for the insight! I’m still wanting to do this but I have another 5-6 month in my .35 can, so no rush with this project.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure the 350 Legend bullets are sized closer to 9mm than to 357. I don't think you'd get much for accuracy shooting them, or anywhere near 1000fps shooting them from a 38SP case. I'd load 180 grain cast performance for a sub load. They sell some nice gas checked ones. I load them up at 1100fps and they shoot really well.