35 whelan rebore for Iowa deer...?

Jimbee

WKR
I can have my 270 superlite Tikka barrel rebored to 35 whelan and use it for deer hunting in Iowa. (JES rebore) Any suggestions, advice on available bullets, brass, etc? I'm eliminating .270 from my arsenal and thought it would be a good use for my soon to be retired barrel.

Pros: I can use a tikka rifle to deer hunt.

Cons: I don't have a .35 cal supressor.

83cj-7

WKR
I’ve wanted to do this for quite some time but I also don’t have a .35 cal suppressor and components are near impossible to find right now. If I did do it, I’d be looking hard for Remington brass, Varget and the 225 Sierra GK.

Axlrod

WKR
Hawk makes .35 bullets from 200 to 300 grains. Haven't shot them in .35 but they are very good out of my 416 Rigby.

LaHunter

WKR
I can have my 270 superlite Tikka barrel rebored to 35 whelan and use it for deer hunting in Iowa. (JES rebore) Any suggestions, advice on available bullets, brass, etc? I'm eliminating .270 from my arsenal and thought it would be a good use for my soon to be retired barrel.

I have zero first hand experience with doing a rebore of a rifle barrel. But just fyi, I have read recently about a JES rebore barrel fouling really bad with minimal rounds. At least one comment / reply to the thread mentioned that this was relatively common for the JES rebore barrels. Maybe something you will want to research a little before jumping in.

Unckebob

WKR

Is reboring to a different caliber cheaper than buying a 35, about $420 at preferred barrel blanks?

Not trolling. I have no idea how much a a rebore costs.

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
Is reboring to a different caliber cheaper than buying a 35, about $420 at preferred barrel blanks?

Not trolling. I have no idea how much a a rebore costs.
$325 for a stainless barrel rebore. The barrel is already threaded, but that doesn't really do me much good since I don't have or plan to get a large bore supressor. It'd also be a fairly quick turnaround. I haven't decided if I want to do it yet.

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve wanted to do this for quite some time but I also don’t have a .35 cal suppressor and components are near impossible to find right now. If I did do it, I’d be looking hard for Remington brass, Varget and the 225 Sierra GK.
I prefer proper head stamped brass, but 35 whelen is easily formed formed from 30-06 if you can't find any

robtattoo

WKR
I have zero first hand experience with doing a rebore of a rifle barrel. But just fyi, I have read recently about a JES rebore barrel fouling really bad with minimal rounds. At least one comment / reply to the thread mentioned that this was relatively common for the JES rebore barrels. Maybe something you will want to research a little before jumping in.

That could've been me. I did mention in a thread (either here or on the Africa Hunting forum) that I saw really bad copper fouling in my .358 barrel in the first 50 rounds. However, that went away very quickly. It literally just needed those rounds to polish it all up before it was mirror shiny. I've put several hundred more through it since then without a single issue.
Oddly, the 9.3x62 he just did for me a few months ago didn't show any fouling signs whatsoever. I think I've maybe put 150 rounds down it now & I haven't had to clean it yet.