340 Weatherby update

You guys may remember my post a couple weeks ago with having trouble getting my new rifle to shoot acceptable. Trued the 225gr accubonds next and still couldn't get acceptable accuracy, most would average around 1.5-2".

On a whim I tried ordering some 210gr Hammer HHT's, and a lee crimp die, shot a few trying to find pressure but ran out of case capacity before finding any. So loaded up 6 using 86gr IMR 4350 and put out the first group around 3/4", promising! Took my time waiting between shots for the second group and printed one out at .340". Finally found a bullet/powder combo that'll be acceptable. Little lighter bullet than id like, but can't complain. This load has the HHT running a shade over 3260fps.

OP
P
Yeah, those 210’s appear to be about the same length as a 250gr accubond.

Unclecroc

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not surprised hammers were the easy button for accuracy. I never had any issue getting them to shoot well. Sounds like great load to me.

Sinistram

FNG
Yes! I remember your previous thread and I'm glad you were able to find something that shoots like the rifle should. The 210 is a fantastic sweet spot between weight and hair-on-fire velocity that makes the most of a 338 caliber rifle. I've been a proponent of the monometals in Weatherby cartridges for nearly two decades; the Hammer bullets seem to be continuing that trend.

Also, I'm a bit surprised 4350 was the winning powder. I like it a lot, but 4831 and 7828SSC have always outshined it in my rifles. Nice to see the favorite of Roy Weatherby still brings the receipts!

OP
P
Yeah, I actually had called Weatherby with how bad it was shooting and they actually pointed me in the direction of hammer bullets. Definitely will pursue them in other calibers in the future as well I am sure.

Sinistram

FNG
I'm telling everyone: monometal bullets and Weatherby cartridges are like cheese and burger!

I know Weatherby are now loading the Hammer bullets in their factory ammo, which says something about the quality.

waspocrew

WKR
I'm not particularly sold on monos, but the Hammer HHTs shot very well out of my 338 RUM. Stupid accurate and very little load work up required. I took 4 animals with it last year (weirdly all between 400 and 420 yards) and I had no complaints about performance at all.

Glad you found something that worked!