308: Is It Making a Comeback??

Comparing the 130 grain Barnes TTSX of the .270 to the .308, it looks like the 130 .308 gives near identical performance to the .270 out to at least 400 yards. I'm really interested in trying these 130 grain .308 bullets out on game.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Comparing the 130 grain Barnes TTSX of the .270 to the .308, it looks like the 130 .308 gives near identical performance to the .270 out to at least 400 yards. I'm really interested in trying these 130 grain .308 bullets out on game.
I was easily able to get well over 3k FPS and great accuracy with the 130g TTSX and H4895. It's a great bullet and it seems like you can actually buy them again. I have a pile of 150s that I got a few years ago when the 130s just weren't in stock anywhere. Also nice to see that the price on Barnes bullets hasn't shot through the roof like Nosler stuff has.

True in some cases although are also some very knowledgeable people that work at local gun stores. They also see first hand what is selling. 308 has been hot lately.
Depends which store you were in. I will agree, a salesman knows what’s currently selling good

KenLee

WKR
I just hopped on the .308 train a couple weeks ago and bought a tikka. Will be chopping to 18” and threading to run suppressed.

I got caught up in the numbers game thinking i needed an 800 yard elk rifle so I built a 20” 300wsm. Well a year later that rifle is gone and here I am. I got tired of paying for the ammo, and all the .223, 6mm, and 6.5 threads on here reaffirmed to me that energy means nothing (I grew up shooting them with .270, 30-06, and even .243). Add in a little self reflection and I realized I’d never be shooting anything past .308’s velocity range (none of my elk have been more than 120 yards).

Now I have a case of .308 ammo on the way for what 3 boxes of .300wsm cost me, and I couldn’t be more content with my decision.
I love them short barreled wsm slinging 150 gr NBT from my 300 yard shot box stands 😀

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve avoided the 30-06 and 308 for over 40 years. I always wanted THE perfect round for whatever game I was going after. Somehow I always ended up with a beater .270 as a backup and took many cool animals with it because hunting is often best in the worst weather.

The .308 just became very popular with me because in my quest for a nice .270 to piddle out my days with I found this .308 that I could not pass up.

1DE0E607-FA54-4217-8CE0-ADD82C114D78.jpeg

I’m going to de specialize in my old age and go with versatility.

Elite

WKR
I've rifle hunted 46 seasons. My buddies and I had always thought of a 308 as a "Fudd" old man's round. Swear that until about 10 yrs ago, I had no clue how little it lost to a 30-06.
Ammo availability is the reason I bought a couple....and 2000 rounds of hunting ammo 5 yrs ago. Have only sent 2 rounds at game. Good performance, but both were under 150 yards.

The 30-06 does shine when getting into the heavier bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
The 30-06 does shine when getting into the heavier bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd always ran 165 gr in 06, 130 gr in 270, and 165 gr in 300wm.
Now I'm running 120 gr NBT in 7mm-08, 150 gr Power Max in 308, and 150 hr NBT in 300wsm.
Those Power Max bonded dig hard. Unfortunately I think they've been discontinued.

I've hunted and shot more game in Alaska with a 308 win than anything else, including multiple moose, sheep, caribou, black bears, brown bears, ptarmigan, spruce grouse, rabbits.....It's versatile for sure. Add in a 223, and 375, and you don't need anything else where a rifle is concerned, but variety sure is fun.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
It's not making a comeback, it never went away.
Any one looking for a great reliable cartridge, capable of all North American Big Game animals needs to look no further than the.308 Win.

Incredible cal, great reputation and accuracy when loaded and practiced, and built in a decent rifle.

CCH

WKR
I’ve avoided the 30-06 and 308 for over 40 years. I always wanted THE perfect round for whatever game I was going after. Somehow I always ended up with a beater .270 as a backup and took many cool animals with it because hunting is often best in the worst weather.

The .308 just became very popular with me because in my quest for a nice .270 to piddle out my days with I found this .308 that I could not pass up.

View attachment 507748

I’m going to de specialize in my old age and go with versatility.

I have lust in my heart for your rifle.

The barrel life of .308 is unbelievable! I’ve been shooting .308 for 35 years. Shot my M1A competitively for over a decade. Pulled it out a couple months ago and it still groups 1 MOA. Many of the newer cartridges shoot flatter and buck the wind better, but get ready to change some barrels. .308s just keep on shooting. Accurately. The word is out!

I was in my local gun store and the guy at the gun counter said the 308 has been real popular lately. We discussed that because of the increase in popularity of hunting suppressed, the 308 does well in short barrels. We also discussed wide availability of factory ammo and reloading components.

Has anyone else noticed an increased interest in the 308 in your area? I think new shooters are finding out 308 ammo, reloading components and load data is widely available and the cartridge is versatile, especially in short barrels.

308 is back baby
I recently got one for the reasons you mentioned, and in all honesty, it will do anything I care to do with a rifle. There’s a lot to like about them, I just always considered them a boring cartridge, but have changed my perspective, it’s very practical for me.

Now I want a .223 to compliment it, kinda regret getting rid of my AR, But it just wasn’t getting shot enough and I hate guns that sit (it still sits but i had good intentions of getting it to someone who would shoot it)

I think I will get the process going on a can, then rebarrel it while waiting with an 18” tube, and it will be a pretty good tool for my needs, right now it’s a tikka super lite in a krg bravo, and I like it as is, but I’ll like it more with a can.