300WSM reloading

Liljozie495

Lil-Rokslider
anyone here shoot and reload for 300wsm? i have a tikka t3 lite in 300wsm and now that spring bear season is over i want to start testing and making some loads up for it. I have been shooting federal 180gr trophy bonds (orange tip nickle case) and it seems to like those, i have a 3 shot quarter sized group at 100 yards with them, but i am really wanting to get into reloading more. any ideas or load recipes to try would be awesome!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Reloader 17 is THE powder for the 300 WSM. H4831 does decent in mine as well as H-4350.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I not sure what you are looking for, as the 3 shot-quarter size group is pretty good. If you are looking for longer range loads, you should look at what your load does at 200 or 300 yards before playing around. I haven't used the Reloader 17, but I do use the 4831SC like Shaun does. I haven't spent a lot of time fine tuning a load for my gun, but 68.5 grains of 4831SC with 180gr. Partitions is about an inch at 200 yards with a 10X scope. I'm not going to mess with that. Every gun will be different and I know that mine did not should the Barnes Tipped-Triple shock near as well, and that is the bullet I would prefer to use. I'm guessing there is a better load out there, but I am satisfied with this one.

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
My 300WSM loves Barnes bullets. My current setup for sheep are Barnes 168 tipped TSX and 58.5 grains of Reloader 15. Group at 200yds is inside 2 inches. Chrony has them at 2998.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Your Tikka should shoot a lot of loads that well or better. Littlebuf has that same gun I think and he has a really good load for it. Send me a text if you want and I can help you get a load dialed. I have a full reloading setup and a 100 yd range to test.
206-786-0889

I have a 300 wsm t3 and best results have been with hornady ssts. I'm running 150's since I use this as my mountain deer rifle. It also shoots Barnes tsx well. It did not like noslers ballistic tips or accubonds much. Best powder was rl 19 for me. Mag length was my limiting factor so I couldn't get to the lands.

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Every gun will be different and I know that mine did not should the Barnes Tipped-Triple shock near as well, and that is the bullet I would prefer to use. I'm guessing there is a better load out there, but I am satisfied with this one.

One thing that I have found about the Barnes 180 TTSX (if thats what you are shooting) is you need to back it off the lands a bit to get them to really group well. I normally use Reloader 19 with 67 grains and back them off the lands by 0.070. I can get a group of 2" or so at 200 yards with that markup.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
One thing that I have found about the Barnes 180 TTSX (if thats what you are shooting) is you need to back it off the lands a bit to get them to really group well. I normally use Reloader 19 with 67 grains and back them off the lands by 0.070. I can get a group of 2" or so at 200 yards with that markup.

I wanted to use the Barnes 180 TTSX a couple years ago for an elk hunt instead of the Partitions that I had been shooting. After I couldn't get the Barnes to group (didn't spend the time I needed to fully check out a load) and put more powder to the Partitions and got it to shoot better than I can, I called it good. The Partitions are elk killers, no question about that. I will take a 1 inch group with the Partitions over a 2 inch with the Barnes any day. Just my opinion. Thanks for the advice. When I want to take the time, I will look into that more.

Also as always start light and work up but from my experience and I've heard this from others about Tikka's is they don't shoot really well until I am up closer to max charges

crumy

WKR
I shoot barnes 180 TSX in a 300 win mag. With the LAN closest to tip completely exposed. I use RL 22 at 70grains. 71 didn't group but 70grains grouped Awesome. I have a Ruger M77. Here is the pic of my my tests when I was doing several different loads. The two circles are the two different groups. First group was high. The two single shots were to see where to make sure it was close. and I made adjustments. The second group is dead on but to the left. Of course wind was a factor so I didn't bother with left right at that time.
View attachment 8398

crumy

WKR
I am just learning but have some good people where I am at to help. The point I was trying to make but left off a key detail. While it does not seem like much a 1/2 grain can do a lot. My sons rifle 243 savage loves h4831 46 grains. Shoots avg of 3100. I use hunter ( what Barnes recommends) it does shoot 3200-3250 but does not group well. I wil play with it more next year but this year I have out hunting rounds set.

I think Barnes are. Exceptional bullets and noting in 4 years has gone more than 15 feet with most dropping in tracks so play with the load until you find the sweet spot would be my recommendation Along with getting a Barnes book.

One more thing. Be cognitive of the recipes you find on the Internet at shooting forums. Some of those guys are bench only and shoot a Really HOT load Doing that will shorten brass life

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Barnes bullets are some of the worst bullets made as far as consistancy goes. I do like how they work on animals but I can't stand the poor quality control. I used to shoot them all the time until I started reloading and really getting into accuracy.

crumy

WKR
Barnes bullets are some of the worst bullets made as far as consistancy goes. I do like how they work on animals but I can't stand the poor quality control. I used to shoot them all the time until I started reloading and really getting into accuracy.

what do you mean in terms of consistency? I am very picky about stuff and probably borderline OCD with numbers at times. I weigh the bullets I am shooting sighting in with and with all three calibers 7mm-08 (140) .243 (85) and 300 win (180) I have at most 6 out of 50 that are .2 grains over. Granted this is my first year doing this but that does not seem bad. Yes it is over 10% but I don't see .2 grains doing that much as far as accuracy. Again, this is probably due to my limited experience.

OP
Liljozie495

Liljozie495

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice and hunts you guys, I am goin to try and pick some Barnes tsx 168gr bullets this week/weekend and what not I got some powder and 180 grain accubonds to try right now my buddy and I got a build up of those, then I want to do a build up of Barnes tsx and ya.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
what do you mean in terms of consistency? I am very picky about stuff and probably borderline OCD with numbers at times. I weigh the bullets I am shooting sighting in with and with all three calibers 7mm-08 (140) .243 (85) and 300 win (180) I have at most 6 out of 50 that are .2 grains over. Granted this is my first year doing this but that does not seem bad. Yes it is over 10% but I don't see .2 grains doing that much as far as accuracy. Again, this is probably due to my limited experience.

I have weighed a lot of different bullets and the Barnes are the worst that I've seen. I usually get + or - .4 grains with Barnes which is a spread of .8 grains and unacceptable to me.

Nosler AccuBonds are one of the best bullets on the market IMO for hunting. This year I'm trying the Berger VLD's because of the higher BC. They group really well but if they don't perform well, I'll be going back to Noslers.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Justin, I switched from AB to Bergers two year ago. My son and I have shot 5 animals with the VLD's. All have been DRT. BUT Darin just sent me some 210 ABLR's so who knows:)

Last edited: