300WM and 175gr LRX

RW2013

FNG
Hello everyone, new to the forum. I’m hoping you guys can help me with developing a load for my Tikka 300WM. I’ve settled on Barnes 175gr LRX bullets. I have ADG virgin brass, Winchester large primers, Ramshot Magnum and H4350 powders available.

Should I wait until I find some magnum primers or will the standard large primers work? Should I start with the Magnum powder or H4350 or try to find a different powder?

I would appreciate any advice given.

Thank you,
RW

A382DWDZQ

WKR
If you need temp stable, start with the H4350, if not start with Magnum. Large Rifle Primers will probably work fine. Measure your sized brass before and after you shoot it so you have that data.

OP
R

RW2013

FNG
The day time temps are 50 - 60 degrees now. During hunting season they are usually around 60 - 70 degrees. Will that make a drastic difference with magnum powder?

I use CCI LRM, H4350, and norma brass... I used factory Norma ammo for the brass... Factory ammo shot 2.5" groups from my BAR. Loaded H4350/175LRX and shrunk that to .75moa. My rifle uses the boss system from Browning and that load has taken 2 whitetails in Iowa this year. Gonna try it out this fall for mule deer hopefully

OP
R

RW2013

FNG
That sounds promising. How many grains of powder are you using and what is the velocity?

Your gonna need to work up to this to make sure it's safe for your rifle. I am at 71.6gr. I have found that in temps from 5 - 65 I don't notice any fluctuations. I have my scope set for mpbr from 0-275 so it works perfect for me.

Your gonna need to work up to this to make sure it's safe for your rifle. I am at 71.6gr. I have found that in temps from 5 - 65 I don't notice any fluctuations. I have my scope set for mpbr from 0-275 so it works perfect for me.
Good advice for someone seeing that load info. MPBR works so well I quit using it and went to a dial scope this year... Then set the dial for MPBR after zeroing at 100 yds after 1 day in the field. Seems if you don't wanna dial, you are probably going to get a dial on scopes these day and use it or not, or hybrid use it.