300 wsm seating advice please

Brad61537

FNG
Hello All,
I'm looking for any advice or suggestions on seating depth for a 300 wsm shooting 180 gr bergers. I'm running a Xbolt hells canyon .50 thou off the lands has given me the best accuracy so far using H4350. Shots 1 & 2 were about an inch apart with 3,4,5 cutting the same hole directly between shots 1&2. So I feel im close maybe move the seating a bit or adjust the powder charge a bit. Currently with .50 thou off I can only fit 1 round in mag & would like to get full mag capability if possible. Anybody have any luck with seating far off the lands & still getting moa? Anybody running the xbolt with any advice would be greatly appreciated! Any advice from the 300 wsm berger community would also be appreciated! Thanks to all!

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Don't have an X-Bolt or a 300wsm anymore but loading Bergers in quite a few other rifles I would bet you can get them to shoot seated deeper. Berger recommends a jump test all the way out to .150" off, but to be conservative with components when there's a COAL limitation I start at a length that will feed reliably, shoot some test charges or an OCW to see where it likes to be with powder, and fine tune with a seating test in fairly small increments if needed. It will either dial right in or tell you that your rifle doesn't like that combo. Hope that helps.

OP
Brad61537

Brad61537

FNG
Don't have an X-Bolt or a 300wsm anymore but loading Bergers in quite a few other rifles I would bet you can get them to shoot seated deeper. Berger recommends a jump test all the way out to .150" off, but to be conservative with components when there's a COAL limitation I start at a length that will feed reliably, shoot some test charges or an OCW to see where it likes to be with powder, and fine tune with a seating test in fairly small increments if needed. It will either dial right in or tell you that your rifle doesn't like that combo. Hope that helps.
Thank you! Bot do I love those berger's! The only bullet on my bench.

tdhanses

WKR
With bergers I’ve only shot the 215’s in my 300wsm, the 220’s in 300wm, the 170’s in my 270wsm and the 156’s in my 6.5cm, seating depth for all was best in the .08-.095 range, it just has been a sweet spot I’ve found.

My buddy also found it to be true with his 300wsm and 215’s.

I would say do the testing berger recommends but with the limited availability I would use what you have or try somwhere in the .085-.09 range.

Last edited:
Haven't loaded any for my wsm, but the 168hybrid hunters like a .110 jump in my 280 AI. I wouldn't be afraid to try them all the way back to saami coal. For my rifles with shorter mags i try to find something that fits as a starting point regardless of where my lands are. More often than not i can find something good within mag length.