300 wsm- 180 gr or 200 gr?

roymunson

WKR
I have a moose/grizzly combo coming up this fall and want to work up a load in my 300WSM. Guide said he likes his 180 gr TTSX and is happy with that. I figured thats where I'll start. But was wondering if anyone recommended anything heavier like an ELD-X in 200 or 212?

I know the wsm traditionally likes a lighter bullet than the standard win mag, but didn't know if it's going to make a big difference if we're going to be shooting at 200-300 yards max.

I did a load workup on my 7 rem mag for a muley hunt and killed a deer with it, was pretty gratifying. I'm looking forward to working on something like this as well.

I can't speak to load development, but I wouldn't shoot a moose or grizz with an ELD-X. I watched my son shoot a 200gr ELD-X into the neck of a big bull Nilgai and barely phased it. I love them for deer though, in lighter versions of course.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
180 TTSX would be a good choice. It will expand really well because it is one of the softer TTSX bullets, and it will stay together to give great penetration at the same time. I think the 190 and 200 LRX would be good options also, but the 180 will have more energy out past 200 yards if you were comparing a max load across the three of them. I agree with @ScreamingPotato on not using the ELD-X or other long range bullets.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
Ttsx treated me well this fall. Passed thru actually. I have no reason to change. Just looking for a the best option

I have some 180 gr accubonds too but have heard some real world stories where folks were not impressed

I think any of them would work fine Roy. In a short action WSM id lean more towards the 168 TTSX over the 180 if you're going barnes. They are damn near the same BC and that 180 has to get stuffed way down into the case so you are going to get better external ballistics with the 168 and I'd bet better terminal ballistics with the increased velocity impacts too. Since it's a barnes I don't see a need for additional weight for any perceived penetration benefits.

I primarily shoot 200eldx out of my 300wsm mostly for a better BC. They have worked fine, might be a little splashy on a moose. A lot of the guys i've talked to with a bunch of griz under their belts have given me the impression they don't need a very stout bullet and something that makes a wider wound channel (I.E. lead) may be preferable. My outfitter had no qualms about me using a 6.5 SAUM on brooks range griz.

Who are you hunting with?

Legend

WKR
If you go over 180grain in the 300wsm you are just taking away case capacity. Unless you have a custom throat and magazine.

Wrench

WKR
For what you are doing, I'd run a 180 or 200 partition and never worry a bit. No risk of over or under velocity. No on game performance issues and inside the 500 yard line....probably more accurate than boat tails.

You're not likely to shoot too far for your intended game....but you do want piece of mind should things get sporty.

There's a place for all bullets and tough critters at modest distance from 2700+fps guns is where the partition belongs.

t_carlson

WKR
I like heavy bullets most of the time, so I shoot 200’s in mine.

Nosler Accubond or Partition would be my first choices. Never killed anything with an ELD, but based off of what I’ve seen my hunting partner shoot with them, I wouldn’t want them for grizzly or moose.

B23

WKR
I don't know that a lot of people have shot them much but what about the Norma 180 Bondstrike?

Wright406

WKR
shorter barrel 180s-190s, longer barrels or a long action 300wsm 190gr and up.

rootacres

WKR
I would use a bonded or mono for your application. My 300 WSM liked 180gr Accubonds. . 180gr TTSX would be a good option in my opinion, I also think Hammers would do well. Im not sure I would go on that hunt with an ELDX or Berger.

*no hate, Ive had great results taking elk with Bergers. Id just prefer a mono/bonded bullet for grizz.

180 TTSX worked like a champ in my Tikka, and for what you’re targeting, without trying to go long range, is what I would use again.

Jimss

WKR
I'd likely take a look at 180 grain nosler partitions. I've had great luck with 150 grain noslers but may need a chunk more lead for grizz and moose if you keep the distance shorter.