300 win mag ammo

bigv

Well Known Rokslider
I picked up bergara 300 win mag for no other reason than I thought it was cool. I'd like to use it here and there. Think I'd like to shoot 150g ammo?? What are you guys using for a good round for deer possibly elk? I see price on 300 ammo is icky!

WDO

Take a look a norma whitetail 150 gr. Cheap and norma brass is good if you reload. I bought a few boxes just for the brass.

On the performance side, they seem, to do decent. I had a buddy shoot a decent mule deer with them and they did pretty well.

kwackkillncrew

Well Known Rokslider
Lucky for me my 300 likes cheap corlokts. Might be worth getting a box of cheap stuff to see if it works well. 180 grains have taken down deer, moose and caribou. I dont switch up weight of bullets for the critters i am after. I am not a bullet wizard like some on this site and go for more the KISS method. Find a bullet at a weight that will work for all your critters and get a couple different boxes and see what kind groups well.

mthuntr

Well Known Rokslider
Personally I go up to a 180 for 300WM just because I don't want a grenade going off in short range shots.

OP
B

bigv

Well Known Rokslider
All good thoughts. I'll look into the 180s. Also WDO I was just looking at Norma. Might investigate that a little more too. Thanks for ideas!

Desk Jockey

Well Known Rokslider
Sample of one, but 300 ammo is still a bit scarce around me. I recently bought a tikka 300 and put a scope on it. I wanted to get it zeroed for a late season elk hunt and couldn’t find a lot of variety Locally. I ended up with Winchester super X 180s from Walmart being the only thing I could get more than a couple of boxes Before my hunt. I will try out some different brands and bullet weights next year but for now I have decent groups and zeroes to 400 yards.

thinhorn_AK

Well Known Rokslider
I like the 200g partition form a 300win mag. I’d go as low as 165/168 if I was shooting a pure copper bullet but even then, I’d probably go with a 180.

LightFoot

Well Known Rokslider
I took a nice south Texas whitetail with the Norma 150s. I think 150s are too light for elk… except maybe the 150 TTSX.

I’ve switched to the 200 ELD-X for a more all-around and elk-capable bullet.

If I was going to stick with lightweight bullets in the 300, I’d stick with mono-metal. Most of the 150s I see available are soft bullets that will be marginal for elk.

Like others have said, you’ll find the best performance out of a heavier bullet. When I run out of the ELD-X I’m gonna go to the 185 Berger.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro