300 SAUM Build, or continue with .300 PRC?

Found two new bags of remington 300 saum brass on my shelves in the shop along with some rcbs dies. I do recall looking into a build a while back, but ended up with a .300 PRC. Looking for opinions and experience on the 300 SAUM, possible pros and cons of SAUM over the PRC, and whether another build would be worth the trouble/time/cash? I see a few differences ballistically, but id really like to hear from others that may have time behind both rifles. I'll admit I'm leaning toward cutting out the new build idea, but curiosity has me asking.

Elk, deer, antelope. Those are my main focus, being out west distance is a factor.

Any and all help appreciated.

Is there some reason you want less than a 300 PRC other than having brass and dies on the shelf?

I like the SAUMs and WSM's and generally prefer them because at any distance where the additional velocity of the PRC makes a notable difference is further than I should be ethically shooting at game so there isn't much reason for the additional recoil.

Pros: Less recoil, easier to shoot, probably less finicky on average, longer barrel life. Can use 180 or up to 200 class bullets in a 2.95'ish short action config. 200.20x bergers might still be a little longer than ideal for that though.
Cons: to maximize with slippery 200-215 class bullets you'll want a medium action which isn't supported as well. Less brass availability.

The thing with optimized 300 Short mags for hunting - you have to get into the 200.20x, 208 eld, 212 eldx type bullets to hang with a 162 ELD, 175 EH, 175 ELd, 180 eld or hybrid type BC and get more recoil. Since I don't feel there is a terminal performance reason for larger than 7mm bullets for the applications you listed, the 30's are less appealing to me.

OP
C
Is there some reason you want less than a 300 PRC other than having brass and dies on the shelf?

I like the SAUMs and WSM's and generally prefer them because at any distance where the additional velocity of the PRC makes a notable difference is further than I should be ethically shooting at game so there isn't much reason for the additional recoil.

Pros: Less recoil, easier to shoot, probably less finicky on average, longer barrel life. Can use 180 or up to 200 class bullets in a 2.95'ish short action config. 200.20x bergers might still be a little longer than ideal for that though.
Cons: to maximize with slippery 200-215 class bullets you'll want a medium action which isn't supported as well. Less brass availability.

The thing with optimized 300 Short mags for hunting - you have to get into the 200.20x, 208 eld, 212 eldx type bullets to hang with a 162 ELD, 175 EH, 175 ELd, 180 eld or hybrid type BC and get more recoil. Since I don't feel there is a terminal performance reason for larger than 7mm bullets for the applications you listed, the 30's are less appealing to me.
Excellent points, and I appreciate such a well put and detailed reply. You've covered more bases than I'd originally pondered, and the range over ethics point is right on. From a recoil standpoint, I see what you're saying, and barrel life is a concern for me as well. I have a 7 prc as well, which I guess covers the bases there, too.

Thanks again, looks like I'll be saving some money.

Excellent points, and I appreciate such a well put and detailed reply. You've covered more bases than I'd originally pondered, and the range over ethics point is right on. From a recoil standpoint, I see what you're saying, and barrel life is a concern for me as well. I have a 7 prc as well, which I guess covers the bases there, too.

Thanks again, looks like I'll be saving some money.
I agree with wind gypsy, that 7 will do everything a .30 will with less recoil. But I get the appeal of building another gun even when it’s not necessary haha

OP
C
I agree with wind gypsy, that 7 will do everything a .30 will with less recoil. But I get the appeal of building another gun even when it’s not necessary haha
Ain't that the truth! Between rifle builds and reloading, I'd swear I'd have retired by now if I'd saved those expenses.