30 cal build ideas?

Ao I've decided to step up my rifle game to a 30 cal build.

I'm a 6.5 guy through and through and the current setup is a 264 winmag. Had a 6.5 prc built on a separate action and there's no need to have duplicate rifles.

Tossed around the idea of a 300 norma, norna improved but that requires a new action, more costs and wait times.

Already have the Remington long action that's been trued.

So tossed around the idea of a 300 prc, 30 nosler 30 sherman and had a few friends suggest the same.

I'm wanting a 24" tube and want to run the 215 225 or 230 hybrids. Honestly don't really care which, obviously I'd prefer the 215s if they ever existed but it's not a deal breaker.

The prc would be a sweet option as there is the availability of factory ammo in a pinch

What do you guys think? Any different suggestions? Ideas?
It's use would be on deer/elk out to 1200 yds

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Flyjunky

WKR
30 Nosler will do what you need. I have 3 30’s and I was very sure I was going to build a new 300NMI but I’m starting to lean back to the 30nos.

In order to get the performance out of that 30 Nosler make sure you give it enough freebore or you might as well just go prc.

Ao I've decided to step up my rifle game to a 30 cal build.

I'm a 6.5 guy through and through and the current setup is a 264 winmag. Had a 6.5 prc built on a separate action and there's no need to have duplicate rifles.

Tossed around the idea of a 300 norma, norna improved but that requires a new action, more costs and wait times.

Already have the Remington long action that's been trued.

So tossed around the idea of a 300 prc, 30 nosler 30 sherman and had a few friends suggest the same.

I'm wanting a 24" tube and want to run the 215 225 or 230 hybrids. Honestly don't really care which, obviously I'd prefer the 215s if they ever existed but it's not a deal breaker.

The prc would be a sweet option as there is the availability of factory ammo in a pinch

What do you guys think? Any different suggestions? Ideas?
It's use would be on deer/elk out to 1200 yds

Without going to a Lapua action the 30 Nosler is tough to beat.
Get some Peterson or ADG brass throat it for 225s and you'll be set.

The @FURMAN 300 mag comparison from a couple years back is a good place to start. I think for most people 300 wm type performance with a 215 gets lethal as far as they should be shooting at game. I chose WM a couple years ago on my last rebarrel mostly because of already having dies and brass, because of PRC clicker issues, and because 30nos is basically 300nm capacity and the 300NM i previously had was on the high side of recoil for my preference with 230s and I didn't want 215s moving close to 3100 fps on closer shots.

I think you can avoid the clicker concerns in PRC by using an Alex Wheeler spec'd reamer and possibly some custom dies. That's probably the way I'd go if starting fresh. Good brass options, no belt, no case stretch on first firing.

Flyjunky

WKR
The @FURMAN 300 mag comparison from a couple years back is a good place to start. I think for most people 300 wm type performance with a 215 gets lethal as far as they should be shooting at game. I chose WM a couple years ago on my last rebarrel mostly because of already having dies and brass, because of PRC clicker issues, and because 30nos is basically 300nm capacity and the 300NM i previously had was on the high side of recoil for my preference with 230s and I didn't want 215s moving close to 3100 fps on closer shots.

I think you can avoid the clicker concerns in PRC by using an Alex Wheeler spec'd reamer and possibly some custom dies. That's probably the way I'd go if starting fresh. Good brass options, no belt, no case stretch on first firing.
Totally agree with this. Broz did a great comparison between the 300wm and 30 nos, it’s worth watching.

It’s honestly hard to beat the 300wm and 215. I was going to go with a 300NMI after my current 300wm burns out but I’m not so sure anymore. I might go with the 30nos just for something different this time.

OP
F
I'm probably going with a prc. I just happen to have prc brass on hand as I bought some adg awhile back.

Prc has the option of factory ammo in a pinch that can be accurate at times which is a nice backup.

Now to find a builder that will do work on a remmy action that can do it in under 6 months. I understand wait times on some things but since I already have most parts, all I need is a barrel, brake, chamber job and ceracoat I feel that should be able to be done quickly. Waiting for upto a year on that just isn't acceptable.

Gouge

FNG
Totally agree with this. Broz did a great comparison between the 300wm and 30 nos, it’s worth watching.

It’s honestly hard to beat the 300wm and 215. I was going to go with a 300NMI after my current 300wm burns out but I’m not so sure anymore. I might go with the 30nos just for something different this time.
Currently building a light weight 300nm 35 degree improved also, even though I already have a 338lm. The ballistics are just too good not to build one. Just trying to source a brake, it's the final peice in the puzzle for me

Flyjunky

WKR
Currently building a light weight 300nm 35 degree improved also, even though I already have a 338lm. The ballistics are just too good not to build one. Just trying to source a brake, it's the final peice in the puzzle for me
Go with the TiPro 3 brake from Salmon River Solutions, right here on the Rokslide store. I have 3 of these and they are a fantastic brake!

Gouge

FNG
Go with the TiPro 3 brake from Salmon River Solutions, right here on the Rokslide store. I have 3 of these and they are a fantastic brake!
I'd love to, but doesn't seem like I can get one though, they don't ship to Australia where I'm located

goldylox

FNG
I have been down this road a couple times. Are you going to be reloading? If you want the option to shoot factory ammo. 300 PRC no question to shoot the bigger bullets. If you are going to hand load, AW reamers and 30nos is the best bet without going up to the lapua bolt face.