3 season or 4 season tent?

I'm new to the backpacking world and am heading to CO for my first elk hunt this year with some buddies (Unit 43 2nd rifle). I gather that there is definitely a good chance for significant snowfall and cold temps during this season...that being said, is a 4 season tent a necessity? Or will a 3 season do the job? It seems a lot of guys on here also prefer the floorless/tipi type of shelters...can that type of setup be considered for this situation?? Any advice is appreciated...thanks!

crumy

WKR
I did a floorless shelter last year.. my first year using it and I liked it a lot. I am looking at the option of getting a Tipi. Think it was a very good setup. The stove makes things really nice. **Disclaimer, I have only done the backcountry spending multiple nights thing for two years.

gelton

WKR
Definitely prepare for snow. I am 3 for 3 with getting snowed on and one of those times was during 1st season when we saw more than a foot of snow. I have a North Face Westwind 3 that is advertised as a 3 + season. With the footprint its basically a 4 season. Holds up incredibly well to wind and rain but not so much in the snow. Woke up the next morning with the tent still standing but the roof about 6 inches from my head with tons of condensation since the dual wall had basically become a single wall. While, besides the weight, its a great tent, it didnt hold up to the snow very well. I see a Hilleberg in my future.