3 extra days scouting b4 seasons or 1 day of hunting at the end?....WWUD?

ureyes

FNG
Would you rather have 3 extra days of scouting before the season opens or only have 1 day of scouting and be able to hunt the last day of season?

I'm trying to plan the exact dates for this falls hunt. Going into an area that I have never hunted before.

I was planning a Tuesday departure which would put me there 2 days before the rifle season opens. Or I could move one of my vacation days from the end of the trip to the front which would allow me to leave on a Saturday (3 day earlier)....but I would then not be able to hunt on the last day of season and would need to leave that day.

which is better?

rhendrix

WKR
I'd rather have three days to scout personally, that way I'm able to stay mobile and don't disrupt any pattern the elk are in before the season starts. Determine a few areas you want to check out on a map, hike into them, if you're into elk on day 1 of your scouting trip, then stay on them until the season opens and kill one opening morning. If you're not, move until you are.

Just my two pennies worth.

Extra scouting since you don't know the area its easy to decide. If it was my honey hole I would do option 2

WRO

WKR
Scouting for sure, I'd rather have some idea what's there than passing with out knowledge of what's available.

Tino

FNG
Separation is in the preparation. Proper preparation can literally save your year if you learn travel routes or learn from a mistake that may save your season when opportunity arises.

Bar

Banned
It's a no brainer. 3 days of scouting, and you may not need the extra last day to hunt.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me personally, if you have some idea of the drainage or mt range your going to hunt and that the area has elk, I would prefer two days of scouting and a further day of weapon in hand. If no idea of elk numbers or any plans, then go with the 3 days of scouting.