That’s a very fair point.

That said a good portion of my paycheck goes into the pension, so my take home is a lot less than one would think at 120k.

We also have significant childcare expenses with right now that would be going away in the next few years.
Copy. Just something to consider. When we talk about moving I really try to play with how far my money goes in other places and if comparable jobs pay the same. Most of the time it’s just kind of a wash, best of luck to you! I’ve started to get more interested in remote work as well.

Do it!
I have 4-5 years and ill get 40% of pay after 20 years,still isn’t much but a few grand a month,kicker is i have to wait till 62 to draw,i plan to leave at 52.I have a hs diploma but im ready to work for myself.
We have set it up were we are debt free so i dont have to make as much.I have a good job but im tired of the bs.
We would love to stay in mexico 3 months a year as well so finding my wife something remote is a goal and shouldn’t be difficult as we will both be able to take a pay cut by then.I know the feeling on being trapped and im staying till our 3rd (last) child graduates.
You can do it,you obviously are not lazy.You only live once!

jayhawk

WKR
There are a lot of opportunities out there in aviation. Helicopters, drones, private, local, etc. (I know you'd have to get re-qualified for some of those things). I knew a guy who flew local from Denver to the regionals around Colorado and picked up some instructor classes on the weekend. He seemed to do well financially and was never too late getting home for dinner.

I would start by reaching out to some people you know (like your NCO buddy) and get a solid direction on where you want your career to go. Also, try and figure out if your priority is moving to a new place or getting a new job. This will help make your decision for you.

S.Clancy

WKR
I don't think becoming a PA is going to remove you from the dregs of society.....And if you transfer out west, you will either be in a similarly sized and "dreggy" area, or making less money. There is a number of sacrifices for living out west, money is usually top of the list. My GF and I are both engineers and we make like ~150-160K together. If we moved to the west coast, that would go up prob to 220-250K, depending where we worked.

EdP

WKR
How about going to life flight? Is that an option? Get qualified on someone else's dime and move in 3 yrs. You should be dumping money into a ROTH IRA too. Looks like it might be a bit of a pay cut if no OT, but with OT maybe about the same.

At 36, this is the time to career hop if you can. What could be available with your flight experience other than commercial? That may be a way to get a remote gig somewhere, like contract services...

gbflyer

WKR
I don’t have much advice other than with your resume you won’t have any problems finding work wherever you land. You could start work tomorrow here in Alaska. Just remember life is still
just life wherever it is.

S.Clancy

WKR
All true.

Helicopter EMS is an option. Pay isn’t as good as the airlines, but it’s easier to live rurally.

Might be tough to get a job out west for me though, I don’t have high altitude flying experience and my hr level is lower than what they typically want. I could probably get an EMS flying job in Ohio but that’s because of networking.
I would do the bolded above, that will help greatly if you are already in it and are heading out here.

EMS for 30 years here. 24 with same company so I completely understand being stuck due to pension. I think you're on the right track by waiting 3 years. If you fly the UH-60's - what's the chances of being paid to fly helicopters in the private sector? Medevac, Forest Service, etc.... Another thing to look at if by chance you do decide on school instead of PA is becoming a Perfusionist. You have BS degree, plus EMT-P and it seems like perfusion is up our alley. Remote - I wonder if there's a QA/QI program that hires, or something along those lines. Good luck to ya!

backcountrybutcher

Lil-Rokslider
Send it! You will absolutely regret not doing what you want to do with your life. what's the quote..."The unexamined life is not worth living"... in the same way if you are living with the golden handcuffs, this is no way to live either. I had been thinking about this for a while and finally made the tough choice to move my family (wife and kids 7,5,2 ) and start a new life where we want to be. Its been 7 months and have absolutely no regrets.

eamyrick

WKR
I understand where you are at. In May I’m 15 years into a 23 year pension. Too far in for me but have thought monthly about leaving for the last 4 years. At 23 it will be gravy but you definitely feel trapped. Also 15% of pay goes into a pension which isn’t really your money since you can’t pull it out and choose how to invest when you retire. It would be very hard for me to recommend anyone going into public service in a large liberal city. Things were way different 15 years ago.

OP
B
I understand where you are at. In May I’m 15 years into a 23 year pension. Too far in for me but have thought monthly about leaving for the last 4 years. At 23 it will be gravy but you definitely feel trapped. Also 15% of pay goes into a pension which isn’t really your money since you can’t pull it out and choose how to invest when you retire. It would be very hard for me to recommend anyone going into public service in a large liberal city. Things were way different 15 years ago.
Yup you get it.

Like I said the 120k on paper is significantly less in reality thanks to the pension pickup.

My wife’s paychecks at 90k are about 300-400 more than mine.

eamyrick

WKR
Yup you get it.

Like I said the 120k on paper is significantly less in reality thanks to the pension pickup.

My wife’s paychecks at 90k are about 300-400 more than mine.
Being able to draw at 48 if you do 15 isn’t bad. In our system if you do less than 20 you are waiting until 60 or so until you start drawing. Occasionally guys get jammed up at 18-19 years and have to leave and it’s painful to think about the 15 or so years they miss being able to draw.

And we are 2.3 at 23 years. No way I’d stay around in a job you don’t like for 60% at 25.

I know this isn’t in line with anything you’ve mentioned so far but I don’t know of any other job that has more freedom or ability to make 300-400k than an IBEW journeyman lineman.

You’d need to complete a 4yr apprenticeship, which you’ll be getting paid to do, and there’s a couple ways to go about that. Once you become journeyman you can go work through any union hall in the country with that ticket. Or you can find a utility close to home and retire there if you like.

I’ve never made 300k+ but I’ve also never worked more than about 5 1/2 months a year since I’ve started doing this. I don’t work during hunting season anymore and I don’t think I ever will again. And I choose when I want to take vacation during the months that I’m actually working.

There are local halls on the east coast that put 40+% of your earnings into your retirement without you adding a dime to it.

You can PM me if you’re interested to talk anymore about it.