280ai rifle....good idea or no..

OP
Biggern'yurs
6.8 western is another consideration maybe as well. Rifle and factory loading selection sucks and generally I'm not a huge Browning x bolt fan (hate that recoil hawg thing) but I do like that cartridge with the heavier bullets and can actually find it on the shelf at the local GS.

Now I'm just confusing things....

OP
Biggern'yurs
I'm in Bend today so I'm going to roll by the Nosler pro shop and see if they have any 280ai loads or brass hanging around. Might tip the scales

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at that hunter. Just not sure about the stock and I think the aftermarket options are pretty limited for those right? Other than the peak stocks. I could be wrong.
They based the Hunter stock off the backcountry 2.0 stock. Same ergonomics just different material and heavier. I would not buy a $1,500 or plus rifle and then change stuff. If I bought one in that price range it better be what I want or darn close. If not I’d buy a Tikka and change it exactly into what I wanted it to be.

ChrisAU

WKR
My Cooper M92 280AI is easily under half MOA with factory Nosler 160gr Accubond ammo, and mine is 22" + the brake which finishes around 23.5". Its my lifetime hunting rifle as well, got my (unique) last name as the serial number. Its killed all my western hunting animals, one elk, one pronghorn, and a mule deer a couple weeks ago, as well as a pile of whitetail, coyotes, and hogs. I have a Wyoming Arms 4" Titanium suppressor in jail that I had made for the rifle, 1/2-28 threads with a 30 cal hole, also cerakoted FDE. Should have it soon.

FCnQ05W.jpg

I do wonder which rocks folks have been living under when they say "buy X because of ammo availability" or "component availability". While things are better now, they have sucked monkey balls the past couple of years.

Not too long ago the Bass Pro by me had the Savage Ultralite in variety of flavors, including 280 AI, for under $900. Mine in 6.5 PRC has been awesome.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
My Cooper M92 280AI is easily under half MOA with factory Nosler 160gr Accubond ammo, and mine is 22" + the brake which finishes around 23.5". Its my lifetime hunting rifle as well, got my (unique) last name as the serial number. Its killed all my western hunting animals, one elk, one pronghorn, and a mule deer a couple weeks ago, as well as a pile of whitetail, coyotes, and hogs. I have a Wyoming Arms 4" Titanium suppressor in jail that I had made for the rifle, 1/2-28 threads with a 30 cal hole, also cerakoted FDE. Should have it soon.

FCnQ05W.jpg
That's a great looking rifle! My can is in jail too, since February and counting, thought for sure I'd have it for hunting season.

LightFoot

WKR
Savage Ultralite
Browning XBolt Pro
Kimber Hunter
Weatherby Backcountry (not Ti, not carbon)

I have the XBolt pro and it shoots Federal 280 REM 140 NBT in a 1.25 MOA group. Shot well with 162 ELD-X handloads.

I’m still trying to find the perfect 280 AI load, though.

There are lots of custom load companies that build 280 AI and have components in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BjornF16

WKR
Tikka re-barreled to 280AI.

If you don't want to re-barrel, then Tikka 270 Win.

Or, if you take the time to read the .223 and .260/6.5 big game threads, get a Tikka in 6.5CM or .243 Win.

Unckebob

WKR
I've been looking at that hunter. Just not sure about the stock and I think the aftermarket options are pretty limited for those right? Other than the peak stocks. I could be wrong.

I bought a Kimber Hunter in 243 for my wife to use. It is easily my most accurate hunting rifle I have (provided I keep the barrel cool > 3 shot groups). It loves everything I feed it. Last month, I shot a .38 three group using cheap Winchester SP's.

The only thing I don't like about it, I bought in .243 because it was for my wife. I would have picked 270 or 6.5CM for myself.

The stock is very rigid btw. If I could have found the exact same stock to fit my Origin LA project, I would have bought the stock in a heartbeat. At some point. I'll have it painted. Otherwise it is perfect for a lightweight hunting gun.

OP
Biggern'yurs

FCnQ05W.jpg
Oh that's right up my alley...

H.C.O

FNG
Asked my local gunsmith (Powell Custom Guns) and custom builder about a great caliber I could use for 500 yards and would be light to carry. He highly recommended 280 Al, had it two years and have zero regrets.

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kimber Hunter blak in 280AI. Shoots about .6 MOA and load development on the 280AI was easy. Pulled the gel out of the buttstock so it’s basically a kimber mountain ascent with a different stock and a grittier action for over a 1000 dollars off. Mine weighs 6/12 scoped and the recoil with kimber radial brake is very manageable.

z987k

WKR
I have the kimber Hunter blak in 280AI. Shoots about .6 MOA and load development on the 280AI was easy. Pulled the gel out of the buttstock so it’s basically a kimber mountain ascent with a different stock and a grittier action for over a 1000 dollars off. Mine weighs 6/12 scoped and the recoil with kimber radial brake is very manageable.
Put an MPI stock on it and have better than a MA for less money.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the Kimber Mountain Ascent 280 AI this year, and added Triggertech primary topped with Zeiss conquest 3-18.
Ammo Choice Ammunition 162gr ELDx
Kodiak goat 425 yds 1 shot DRT
Other than the rifle being a bit picky on feeding from the magazine I really have no complaints. Ordering from Choice is simple and a non issue. I see no reason to avoid getting a 280 AI if you want one.

Attachments

• 11A9C03D-91C9-4BC8-8816-1584682AB450.jpeg
    11A9C03D-91C9-4BC8-8816-1584682AB450.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 36

rondog643

FNG
I’ve been very happy with mine once I figured out the right bullet… 168gr Berger Classic Hunters. Going on 6 years with the Cooper 92 in 280ai.

rondog643

FNG
Alright been everywhere online beating my head against this. Don't need but really want to get a new elk capable but muley bashing rifle good to 500yrd max and I love the idea of a 280ai. My heart wants a 6-ish lb rifle with a 24" barrel + break on a nice mountain rifle platform. Looking for a 7.5lb all up gun. I have a great rem 700 custom shop mountain and love the ergos. I should also note that I'm not a handloader....yet. Will go there eventually with an AI but want to start with factory loads.

Been looking at the weather by Backcountry 2.0 but worried it's too light. Looking at a nosler 21 but worried it's too heavy. Anything else I should be considering? Also looked at the Christensen Mesas and Ridgeline but can't tell which of them actually has a 24" barell. Maybe wouldn't loose to much going to a 22"??

I'd go custom but want to keep this around the 2k mark or lower.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I’ve had one for 6 years now and love it. Mostly elk taken with it close range to 650 with no issue with being underfunded.