280 Remington enough for AK moose?

Booking an AK moose hunt, I have plenty of rifle options, but love my 280 rem. Just wondering if it is enough gun within 200 yds?

OP
Thanks! I figured as much, but have been blasted by others for thinking of going out there "underfunded". Ironically none have ever taken a moose...

OP
Ok, I have 175 nosler Partition to load. I also have 160 nosler accubonds. I figured whichever shoot the best should be good.

LoggerDan

WKR
I doubt there’s much difference, group wise. Moose are pretty hard to miss. I would shoot the heavier bullet. Remember, one inch at 100 was the standard forever, for good reason.

Tmac

WKR
It will work fine for Moose. We’ve taken two very large bodied Shiras with a 30-06 and 180 ttsx’s (350 yards and 30 feet) and I was with my buddy when he took an average sized AK moose with 7mmRM and 150 core-lokts [150 ish yards). Myself, I’d lean to TTSX’s or heavy high weight retention bonded designs like the swift A-frame just in case of brown bear trouble. If it’s just grizz country, partitions, AB’s or heavy cup and core etc. would all be fine imo. If the guide is carrying a rifle, then no bear bullet choice worries.

Moose are big and even with a perfect heart/lung shot can take a while to slow down and fall. They are not particularly tough so much as big. I‘d be prepared to keep shooting until he falls. If he runs and water is near it can be a bad deal.

I killed a Maine moose this year with a 140gr accubond. Dressed at 910#. Dropped him in his tracks. 280 is quite capable.

Scottf270

WKR
It will work fine. Pick a decent bullet and stick it where it belongs. I have taken 4 A-Y moose. Two with a .338 and 2 with a .375 Ruger. I always carry more than enough gun being a bit of a rifle looney.

I would put one in the boiler room, watch his reaction, and if sure of your shot, he will likely stand there 30 seconds and tip over. Sometimes additional shots , especially if they hit bone cause them to move or run.

gerry35

WKR
Pick whatever you would use for elk and you'll be well armed. Lots of moose get taken with 270, 30-06 and 7mm RM , the 280 is in the same class as those. A friend of mine has used a 280 for years and taken a lot of moose including some big bulls. Usually uses the 160 gr Partition.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
my two cents. Yes I have a custom built 7 saum. It shoots anything I try really well. I choose the 160 accubond. In the last two years it has killed a 343 inc bull elk at twenty yards, a whitetail at 595 yards, two bears at 400 +, a 300 inch bull elk at 150 yards, a caribou at 595, and my moose at at 310 yards. All one shot. Everything I shot at, that bullet hit right where I wanted it to hit. I would never go beyond 600 yards with accubond because i am not sure the energy on contact that the bullet will do what it is supposed to. But it will go where I aim. Anything from a .280 up is deadly. I was told on my moose to aim back from the front shoulder. I aimed six inches back and wasted zero meat. If I could figure ou how to get a video uploaded, i could share my moose kill. 300 yards one shot. he fold over backwards. I personally think it is how confortable you are with your rifle because then you will shoot well. Shoot, shoot ,shoot and shoot some more to know your rifle. Anyway my two cents

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
b22d0d992bcf323a589f2b8b3cdeed4b.jpg

.243 one shot with 100 grain core lokts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter's cow last month was shot at 227 yards with 130gr copper in .270. DRT

My last bull was about 100 yards with the same set up. DRT.

Moose are easy to kill if you put the bullet in their basketball sized heart.

I would say so. I killed a Canadian moose last year with a 150gr Hornady CX from my 7mm RM. 30 yard shot through both lungs. I would expect similar results from your 280.