280 ai vs 300 win mag

Which one would you choose?

• Total voters

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
So I have been doing my typical spring time overthinking, while waiting and preparing for our spring seasons to open up.

I have been noticing a trend of people going away from the larger magnums in favor of smaller efficient cartridges for hunting. How many people have left the venerable 300 win mag in favor of lighter 7mm options like 280 ai?

I started hunting with a passed down 7mm rem mag that served me well for over a decade of hunting. After retiring that rifle I went through several cartridges to replace it and have possessed several chambering since (270, 30-06, 300 wsm), last year I came into a 280 ai in a light mountain rifle and it is a perfect sweet spot of what I have been looking for in a hunting rifle, doing everything my 7mm rem mag did but at a scant 6.2lbs.

This winter I have picked up a second 280ai in a heavier platform topped with swfa 6x42 for some longer range work. The problem is load development has shown it actually prefers the same load as my other rifle 140gr ttsx over imr 4350 over other more suited long range bullets. So no real advantage other than a heavier maybe more reliable setup.

So here is my problem. Do I stick with this heavier rifle and keep burning up dwindling powder and primers in hope of developing a suitable load in the 160-180gr range and be content with that? Or do I sell/ trade it for a 300 win mag to have the extra power in a similar weight platform? Or I’m I just chasing my tail?

As a side note I also possess a 338 win mag but I run heavy for caliber bullets in it for the purpose of following up on wounded bears.

t_carlson

WKR
I don't think there is really much of a difference.

I do like a big gun with heavy, stout bullets for some types of elk hunting, but you said you already have a .338 for that. I guess the only advantage would be that you'll statistically have better odds of finding components/ammo if you're searching for 2 cartridges instead of one. I wouldn't have thought that to be a selling point a decade ago, but here we are...

I'd start swapping out components and find a LR load. You could buy a .300 Win and have trouble getting it to shoot too.

A 280AI with 168gr bergers is all you will ever need for any big game animal in North America. We took two alaskan moose with my rifle this year, both under 100 yards. I got video of mine, legs came right out from under it.

If you want an efficient long range rifle, grab a 6.5 PRC. Shooting the 147’s or 156’s you can kill critters out there a really long ways.

I have a Christensen BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC with an NX8 set up for long range hunting. My 280AI is ridgeline fft - UL mountain rifle. Two different purposes, love them both for what they are.

OP
bushpilot

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
280AI with 168gr bergers is all you will ever need for any big game animal in North America. We took two alaskan moose with my rifle this year, both under 100 yards. I got video of mine, legs came right out from under it.

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I have been sitting on the fence about trying out some bergers. But I might grab some and see how they shoot.

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I have been sitting on the fence about trying out some bergers. But I might grab some and see how they shoot.
What blew my mind is they were all complete pass throughs with the exception of 1 that was shot straight through the brisket. Vitals were Jello…they were amazing. I got a lot of crap on this forum from Moose hunters saying I was an idiot for considering Bergers and ELDMs…I supposedly needed a tougher bullet. Glad I didn’t listen to them :)

LoggerDan

WKR
I’m a .30 kinda guy.

To me anyway, there seems to be a more meaningful difference in the variety of bullet weights. Maybe the AI edges it out at ”long range”, but the 300 Winchester has won its share of matches at Camp Perry and Wimbledon.

So I have been doing my typical spring time overthinking, while waiting and preparing for our spring seasons to open up.

I have been noticing a trend of people going away from the larger magnums in favor of smaller efficient cartridges for hunting. How many people have left the venerable 300 win mag in favor of lighter 7mm options like 280 ai?

I started hunting with a passed down 7mm rem mag that served me well for over a decade of hunting. After retiring that rifle I went through several cartridges to replace it and have possessed several chambering since (270, 30-06, 300 wsm), last year I came into a 280 ai in a light mountain rifle and it is a perfect sweet spot of what I have been looking for in a hunting rifle, doing everything my 7mm rem mag did but at a scant 6.2lbs.

This winter I have picked up a second 280ai in a heavier platform topped with swfa 6x42 for some longer range work. The problem is load development has shown it actually prefers the same load as my other rifle 140gr ttsx over imr 4350 over other more suited long range bullets. So no real advantage other than a heavier maybe more reliable setup.

So here is my problem. Do I stick with this heavier rifle and keep burning up dwindling powder and primers in hope of developing a suitable load in the 160-180gr range and be content with that? Or do I sell/ trade it for a 300 win mag to have the extra power in a similar weight platform? Or I’m I just chasing my tail?

As a side note I also possess a 338 win mag but I run heavy for caliber bullets in it for the purpose of following up on wounded bears.
The key here is you mentioned long range, this is where the heavier for caliber berger and eldms shine.
I don't know what long range means to you but if it involves killing elk or moose sized game beyond 600 yards the 30's and heavy 7s have a distinct advantage.

It sounds like you're looking at factory rifles which limits some options with throating and twist rates.
I'd suggest a 300 prc with 225 eldms for the ultimate setup, recoil is nothing with a brake or suppressor.

If you're wanting to stay with a 7 check out a seekins 7 RM with an 8 twist barrel to shoot the 180 vldh, or you could go 7 prc if you feel like fighting for components

OP
bushpilot

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I guess my definition of long range is out to 600ish yards. I am quite comfortable with most of my rifles out to 350, I was hoping this setup would be tuned to run past that out to 600. I should mention that I do have a “rokslide special” as recommended by Form which I train with.

I will keep playing around with different bullets to see if I can find a load that I feel comfortable running out that extra distance. As I already have it setup and all the components.

If that doesn’t pan out I can always pick up a 300 win mag next year to play with or rebarrel this rifle with a faster twist.

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not as experienced in the 284/7mm class as some here, but I handload for a 280AI with a 1-9 twist and 22” barrel. In my experience, it’s ideal bullet weight is the 160-168 range. I’ve got three recipes, one for a 160 AB, one for 162 SST, and one for 162 ELD-X, all under .450 moa. I haven’t played around with the 168 Berger yet. I would be surprised if you can’t find a load for your rifle in the 160-168 weight class.

Last edited:

rondog643

FNG
A 280AI with 168gr bergers is all you will ever need for any big game animal in North America. We took two alaskan moose with my rifle this year, both under 100 yards. I got video of mine, legs came right out from under it.

If you want an efficient long range rifle, grab a 6.5 PRC. Shooting the 147’s or 156’s you can kill critters out there a really long ways.

I have a Christensen BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC with an NX8 set up for long range hunting. My 280AI is ridgeline fft - UL mountain rifle. Two different purposes, love them both for what they are.
Bingo - 280AI and the 168 bergers has been very effective on deer and elk for me over the past 7 years... near and far.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Nothing wrong with the .280AI, but I do love the way my .300WM
pushes 200grain Partitions.

Seeknelk

WKR
All depends on your use. Inside 600 a mellow 284 like that is hard to beat. Throated and twisted for 180 ELDs ,that heavier rifle would be extremely fun and effective. Even a 7/08 sending 180s is mind blowing. Remember,it's all about cheating the wind.
I like my 300 PRC for long range and certain situations I hunt were its either a long shot on a relaxed animal or wading thru neck high alder and devil's club and deadfall hoping it's a dumb bull at 30 yards...Im not so into the devil's club anymore. Its not as cool as I first thought!

OP
bushpilot

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
This old bear was down within 20 yards from a 168 Berger VLD out of my 280ai. 400 yard shot, pass through with good expansion and lethality. This kinda thick country all shots were either less than 50 or 350 plus.

I picked up a 300 win mag to play with in the fall as well. But so far the 280ai has not let me wantingIMG_4911.jpeg

300 WM Brass / reloading components are a lot easier to find than 280 AI...I have a regular 280 and that brass is scarce because 280 AI people are buying it up to fire form in their rifles.