26 Nosler load question???

Clark33

WKR
So I recently purchased an MOA Rifle Evolution. They are made down in Oregon. The rifle is freakin sweet and from what I was told the gunsmith down there is awesome and will give you the load data they use to test their rifles.

I called him up and he gave me the load data they used to test their 26 noslers, its listed below:

140 VLD Berger
Nosler or Norma Brass
Fed 215 or CCI 250 primers
74.5 grains of H1000
COAL 3.450"

He said this would get me around 3,300fps out of the 26in barrel.

Before loading these up I did some searching on other shooting and hunting forums and also checked berger, nosler, hogdon and a few other manufacturers load data. Everything I found suggests that 74.5 grains of H1000 will get me a little over 3,000fps maybe 3,100 at the most. So my question is where is he getting 3,300fps from? Just seems very strange to me no one else is experiencing this velocity with that charger and powder.

I plan to chrono it next trip out but the brass and primers showed no sign of pressure and no sticky bolt. It also appears that the 3.450" coal is just kissing the lands in my rifle. The load he provided didn't group as well as they suggested it would but I was also doing the barrel break in so I wasn't expecting stellar results today.

I'm just perplexed as to how he got almost 300fps faster velocities than others with the same bullet, powder and 26" barrel???

Gobatt

FNG
Not sure of all the specifics but here are a few ideas. VLD bullets by nature tend to have less bearing surface and I noticed the length is a little longed which could translate into higher pressure sooner do to the bullets engaging the land quicker. Making a pressure curve last longer i.e. Higher velocity. Always be careful when using other people's Secret recipes. Sometimes they don't pay attention to psi signs.
A person can monitor psi roughly by measuring the expansion ring on your cases. Start out with a fired commercial case in your rifle and measure the expansion ring. On your hand loads if you see an expansion of .0005 STOP there and back off by 5% and call that MAX load. I hope this helps. I would also suggest reading the article by Ken Water " Developing Pet Loads " it was published in 1982 and this philosophy has never steered me wrong.

Hunt-em High

GKPrice

Banned
Not sure of all the specifics but here are a few ideas. VLD bullets by nature tend to have less bearing surface and I noticed the length is a little longed which could translate into higher pressure sooner do to the bullets engaging the land quicker. Making a pressure curve last longer i.e. Higher velocity. Always be careful when using other people's Secret recipes. Sometimes they don't pay attention to psi signs.
A person can monitor psi roughly by measuring the expansion ring on your cases. Start out with a fired commercial case in your rifle and measure the expansion ring. On your hand loads if you see an expansion of .0005 STOP there and back off by 5% and call that MAX load. I hope this helps. I would also suggest reading the article by Ken Water " Developing Pet Loads " it was published in 1982 and this philosophy has never steered me wrong.

Hunt-em High

3300 is a lot of speed, you may or may not like the terminal results of a Berger, they are not for every hunter - I much, much prefer bonded core or monolithics on game - It would be more than wise to pay attention to what Gobatt tells you, even if the rifle's maker tests with that load there are conditions that can change things once you own and shoot your rifle - this may ruffle a feather but one main reason Bergers are used to attain accuracy is because they are easier to get most rifles to shoot well - "IF" I ever do finally loosen up and purchase custom built rifle I will choose the bullet I want the rifle to shoot, not simply accept what I'm handed, especially for the cost

Axlrod

WKR
So I recently purchased an MOA Rifle Evolution. They are made down in Oregon. The rifle is freakin sweet and from what I was told the gunsmith down there is awesome and will give you the load data they use to test their rifles.

I called him up and he gave me the load data they used to test their 26 noslers, its listed below:

140 VLD Berger
Nosler or Norma Brass
Fed 215 or CCI 250 primers
74.5 grains of H1000
COAL 3.450"

He said this would get me around 3,300fps out of the 26in barrel.

Before loading these up I did some searching on other shooting and hunting forums and also checked berger, nosler, hogdon and a few other manufacturers load data. Everything I found suggests that 74.5 grains of H1000 will get me a little over 3,000fps maybe 3,100 at the most. So my question is where is he getting 3,300fps from? Just seems very strange to me no one else is experiencing this velocity with that charger and powder.

I plan to chrono it next trip out but the brass and primers showed no sign of pressure and no sticky bolt. It also appears that the 3.450" coal is just kissing the lands in my rifle. The load he provided didn't group as well as they suggested it would but I was also doing the barrel break in so I wasn't expecting stellar results today.

I'm just perplexed as to how he got almost 300fps faster velocities than others with the same bullet, powder and 26" barrel???

Only one that would know for sure is the guy that gave you the load- call him back and ask him.

OP
Clark33

Clark33

WKR
Just got an email back from the gunsmith. He says the 3.450" OAL load with the 140 berger vld would put me 0.020-0.025" off the lands, I measured and remeasured and remeasured and came up with a OAL of 3.455" that puts me on the lands. Looks like my rifle may vary a little as they all do, I'll back it off to 3.430-3.435" and see if the pressure signs go down and groups tighten up.