250 Savage Cow Elk Bullet

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have a 25x6.8, also sometimes called a 25 SPC. It’s a 6.8 SPC necked 257 cal. I titled the post as I did because it replicates 250 savage ballistics… as well as its limitations.

I have killed a mtn lion and some javelina with it using the Nosler 85gr Ballistic Tip at 3k muzzle. Those shots were all sub 100 yards (lion at 30 feet). That bullet at that impact velocity fragments instantly.

But this fall I will be going after cow elk, black bear and mule deer in an area that is super thick timber.

I want to use this rifle because it is an AR (the system I have 20+ years and untold numbers of rounds of experience with) and with can and optic it is sub 8lbs, compact, and easy to tote.

I want to use a 100gr bullet (the heaviest that works well with the magazine COAL restrictions). All types shoot between 2700-2750 at the muzzle and all have acceptable level of accuracy; the Pro Hunter is the best though. Shots will most likely be 100 yards and in, but there is a chance of getting 300ish between thickets. All the options have about 1 mil of drop at 300 and are 2100+ fps at that range and therefore should be above expansion threshold.

Bullet choices are:
100gr Partition
100gr Speer Hot Core
100gr Sierra Pro Hunter
100gr Sierra Game King

….. or I could deviate and use an 80gr TTSX at 3100 muzzle.

So my question is: Does anyone have experience with these bullets on game in this velocity window? If so, what type of terminal performance was observed?

My inclination is the Partition since that is always a recommended bullet where BC is of no concern, but I also know the other bullets have their fans. My ideal would be the best balance of bullet upset and penetration.

Thank you.

I don't have any experience with those .25 cal bullets. However, Nosler also sells a 100 grain ballistic tip, and Hornady has the 110 ELDX that may work with your COL specs.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
They are too long for the AR mag at 2.30 COAL

I could either A) make a windowed mag to gain a tiny amount of usable COAL or B) Chop off the tips… which would work and I would think would not impact the bullets ability to expand, but I can’t say for sure and am therefore apprehensive of doing that. The BC impact wouldn’t matter for close range.

Last edited:
Cool wildcat cartridge. I've only killed a handful of deer with the .250 Savage. My family used 100-grain Partitions on deer, elk, bear, and moose. Truthfully, I think you'd be fine with your 85 grain Ballistic Tip. That's what I'd use. Put the bullet in the right spot, and nothing will go far.

SDHNTR

WKR
1. I’m not an AR fan in the slightest so feel free to discount what I say.

2. TTSX bullets at that muzzle velocity are extremely effective, AND will penetrate lengthwise through a buck or bull should a less than perfect broadside shot present itself.

Firearm choice has nothing to do with his question. He wants to use the most popular and versatile firearm ever made and asked about bullet selection.

You are correct on TTSX projectiles. They certainly penetrate.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Cool wildcat cartridge. I've only killed a handful of deer with the .250 Savage. My family used 100-grain Partitions on deer, elk, bear, and moose. Truthfully, I think you'd be fine with your 85 grain Ballistic Tip. That's what I'd use. Put the bullet in the right spot, and nothing will go far.
Thanks. That’s good information… info on 250 Savage is scarce these days. I did this Wildcat because I had a ton of 6.8 components and 25 cal bullets from a 25-223 AR project, so I just put them together… my 12.5” 6.8 is what I killed my last bull and couse with using 120gr MKZ bullets. Since it is an SBR, I don’t take it out of state, hence taking the 25. Plus I just want to get some bigger game kills with it.

My 25x68 is an 18”, with a 6” can so it’s still handy. I build my AR’s using low mass carriers with adjustable gas blocks, and when combined with a can, allows me to stay in the scope for follow up shots. It’s a nice system.

I’m sure the 85 BT would kill a cow elk, but based on my experience with it shooting smaller animals, I want something more robust for deeper penetration. The 85 explodes on contact.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved

2. TTSX bullets at that muzzle velocity are extremely effective, AND will penetrate lengthwise through a buck or bull should a less than perfect broadside shot present itself.
My thoughts on avoiding the TTSX is the more narrow wound channel they create vs lead core.

I don’t really think you’ll see a noticeable difference in those bullets. However a partition is a reliable killer for decades and would be my choice.

I’ve shot a lot of deer with the 115gr 25 cal partitions and 117 Interlocks (Hornady) and have had zero issues. I can’t see the 100 grainers being any different. That’s the route I would go.

PS I built a 25-45 on a gas platform and that thing is sweet. Very similar to your 25-223.

SDHNTR

WKR
My thoughts on avoiding the TTSX is the more narrow wound channel they create vs lead core.
At the impact speeds you’re talking about there is no narrow wound channel. I just shot a 200# + pig a few days ago with a .223 and 62 gr ttsx and impact speed of 2300 ish. Lung hit, no major bone. Looked like typical lead bullet damage. Made a mess of the vitals.

All this bullet argument banter (especially the anti mono stuff) is mostly just internet nonsense.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’ve shot a lot of deer with the 115gr 25 cal partitions and 117 Interlocks (Hornady) and have had zero issues. I can’t see the 100 grainers being any different. That’s the route I would go.

PS I built a 25-45 on a gas platform and that thing is sweet. Very similar to your 25-223.
Have you killed with the 25-45? I shot a Javelina with 25-223 using a 90gr Sierra HPBT and it blew a softball sized exit out of him at 170 yards.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
At the impact speeds you’re talking about there is no narrow wound channel. I just shot a 200# + pig a few days ago with a .223 and 62 gr ttsx and impact speed of 2300 ish. Lung hit, no major bone. Looked like typical lead bullet damage. Made a mess of the vitals.

All this bullet argument banter (especially the anti mono stuff) is mostly just internet nonsense.
Did you get a pass through? Just curious.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I’d be using the TTSX and drive as fast as accurately possible. For penetration and expansion purposes.

I’d also look at the 101gr LRX. It’ll have a lower min velocity for expansion then the TTSX.

Last edited:
OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’d be using the TTSX and drive as fast as accurately possible. For penetration and expansion purposes.

I’d also look at the 101gr LRX. It’ll have a lower min velocity for expansion then the TTSX.
LRX is too long to fit in the magazine.

Have you killed with the 25-45? I shot a Javelina with 25-223 using a 90gr Sierra HPBT and it blew a softball sized exit out of him at 170 yards.
Nope had too many irons in the fire and projects to work on/play with. I’d really like to kill something with it though. I’m shooting the 87gr soft point currently but have some 90hp to load if I keep the rifle.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Any of those bullets and velocities will work, I'd be partial to the partition and SGK myself.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m not sure the Partition is the best choice. A 100 gr Partition from my 243 went right behind the front shoulder of a cow about half way up and she ran 1/4 mile.

I haven’t shot any of those others so can’t suggest one. It wouldn’t surprise me if a “softer” bullet would work just fine. Way back Bob Milek used to shoot elk with his 25-06 and 120 gr Core-lokt, and write about it Peterson Hunting.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’m not sure the Partition is the best choice. A 100 gr Partition from my 243 went right behind the front shoulder of a cow about half way up and she ran 1/4 mile.

I haven’t shot any of those others so can’t suggest one. It wouldn’t surprise me if a “softer” bullet would work just fine. Way back Bob Milek used to shoot elk with his 25-06 and 120 gr Core-lokt, and write about it Peterson Hunting.
Did you recover the elk? I’m curious if you saw a lack of expansion.

I think a 243 with a short barrel or shot at a little distance would be a good analog for evaluating these bullet types.

I forgot I also have some Hornady Interlock 100 gr.

There is also of course the 87gr bullets: Hot Core, Pro Hunter, Varmiter (Hornady) which would be like when the 250 first came out… also the 90gr Blitzking.