.243 reality check? -->Chose 6.5creed

sndmn11

WKR
Specific to mule deer, would the .243win be a mistake to choose?

My step dad used a dozen points here in Colorado for a buck tag. This past week, he found out that he has pancreatic cancer that has gotten into some other places. He is an outstanding shooter.

He wants to do this hunt. We want to have a light rifle available in the event he should not be shooting that 30-06. We started to talk through this, and thought it would be cool if this light rifle ended up being used my my son and the rest of his grand children since, "papa used it", and we are going to have a message from him engraved on the receiver With that heirloom idea in mind, the 243 and 6.5cm came to mind.

The likely rifle will be a Weatherby Vanguard compact with a 20" barrel if I can get it with the brake installed in time. If not, I may opt for the 24" barrel First Lite version since that has a brake standard, and figure out a youth stock later on.

Would we be sitting in a less than ideal place with the .243 specific to this year's muley hunt?

Last edited:

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I killed my first 4 elk with a .243 shooting 85 gr partitions. Most down withing 40 yds including a bull in about 80 yds. A friend of mine shot a really nice mule deer full frontal with a .243 and a partition and we recovered it in the back hind quarter. I shoot alot of monolithic bullets now out of a bigger rifle but my wife still kills with the .243

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Killed heaps of deer over here in Australia with a .243. From what I gather, fallow deer and mule deer are about the same size. Lots of people shoot red stags over here with a .243 as well.

Just pick a fairly stout bullet and shoot with confidence.

sneaky

"DADDY"
A partition or TTSX out of that will be a bang flop kinda deal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
We have killed many deer with a 243. Do you really need a brake?

I frankly hope we don't "need" a light rifle, but we want to have a plan in place. A couple reasons why it would be my preference:
1) we don't know if a baby tap of recoil will be all that can be accepted. Testing is needed to confirm, but the belief right now is that it has spread to two vertebrae. We don't want the possibility of anyone casting doubt on getting behind a rifle for practice or game, so solving with the least recoil practical seems to thwart that.
2) we always wear electronic muffs
3) the brake can be used or not used.
4) with the idea being the grandkids will use this, recoil management might be important.
5) my wife and I both have vanguards with brakes on them (7-08/30-06) and can't find a downside.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
All of those fancy bullets will kill... the Partition or Aframe probably being the best. But I prefer the bigger wound channel that a heavy for caliber match bullet delivers. Since I switched I have noticed much shorter blood trails or no blood trails at all.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The .243 will be fine.

But I differ on the bullet choice than others above. Don't use premium hunting bullets. Use premium KILLING bullets like a Berger or Hornady ELD-Ms.
Bergers suck. Lol. The VLD hunters should be taken off the market for how shitty they work. The hybrid hunters are completely different, but they'll never go down range at an animal I wanna kill again ever. And, yes, we've already had this discussion before

djr715

FNG
The .243 is more than enough gun for any deer in North America.

Mono or bonded bullets will work, but aren't necessary. As long as you steer clear of the lighter weight varmint bullets, the 243 has more than enough juice to break the shoulder and destroy vitals at any same hunting distance.

Don't let anybody tell you the 243 is too light or just marginal for deer.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I prefer the bigger wound channel that a heavy for caliber match bullet delivers. Since I switched I have noticed much shorter blood trails or no blood trails at all.

These guys? https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/premium-centerfire-rifle/berger-hybrid-hunter/11-P243BCH1.html

You already have option #2 on hand. That 7-08 with a brake and 120 TTSX is a deer's worst nightmare too.

That particular rifle is a sweet shooter and is the back up to the back up plan. He got really excited about the idea of this potential new rifle being the grandkids.

Wild_Musk

FNG
Yep, 243 works great. We use mainly plain old Gamekings most of the time, but our rifle shoots Barnes TTSX well also. This rifle is a Rem 600 Mohawk with a shortened stock, 18"bbl. It is very light but recoil is manageable for even my youngest daughter, who weighs about 50lbs. I would only recommend a break if you want to see impact.