.223 Koolaid

SloppyJ

WKR
I drank that shit and had a smile on my face all the way home from the range today. It reminded me of when I was a kid and using my grandpa's J.C. Higgins .22lr that I couldn't miss with. Being able to instantly acquire feedback on a shot was something I haven't seen in a long time and honestly had forgotten about.

I put together an origin build and while I'm waiting on my 6creed barrel, I snagged a PVA prefit in .223 off the classifieds. I threw it together and was finally able to make it to the range today. Still waiting on my new mil based NX8 to get here so I threw on a 1x6 primary arms LPVO I had in the back of the safe. I had such a blast at the range today. Can't say I've had that much fun in a very long while.

My Dilligent Defense Wolfhunter cleared yesterday and that thing is next level on this bolt gun. Perfect match. I tried out my first handloads for this setup consisting of 75gr ELDM seated at 2.5" over 24.6gr varget, with cci 450s and lapua brass. Had SD of 9.7 and an ES of 17 and it was driving tacks. Can I do better, pdobably, but shit, why waste the time?

I have 1200 piece of brass for this barrel and 2k 75gr BTHPs and I'm going to love every single one of them.

All of this to say, thank you all for the cult that you have started. It's only gained popularity because it's effective. I never dreamed I'd own a .223 and enjoy it this much. I thought that was only for he/her kinda guys. Hell, I might even kill a few deer with it this year.

If anyone is on the fence, just do it. I can see myself getting so much more practice with this dude. And not only time behind the gun, but functional practice that translates to useful and transferable skills.

1000004540.jpg

1000004351.jpg

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Please add this to the .223 thread!

SO glad you dove in!!!

Looking forward to the coming hunt results with pics.

Igloo

FNG
Great stuff and great shooting!

Man if I wasn't as committed to lead free, I'd be right there with y'all.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Please add this to the .223 thread!

SO glad you dove in!!!

Looking forward to the coming hunt results with pics.
I was going to post it there but didn't want to distract from the actual message about killing things. But hell, after almost 400 pages there's a few rabbit holes in there.