.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

letrbuck

WKR
This thread has been hard to keep up with... but I shared my success experience early on with the 75gr Swift Scirocco ii and only have a few left.

The 77 tmk seems to be the winning bullet, but curious if anyone has experience with the 64gr bonded solid base from Nosler?

This thread has been hard to keep up with... but I shared my success experience early on with the 75gr Swift Scirocco ii and only have a few left.

The 77 tmk seems to be the winning bullet, but curious if anyone has experience with the 64gr bonded solid base from Nosler?
Since no one has answered you yet, I believe it is a good performer for a bonded bullet. Probably close in performance with the gold dot/fusion with the gold dot/fusion being slightly better terminally. I have not used any, just going off of memory from prior threads.

I believe the 73gr ELD is the closest replacement to the 77TMK currently out there for typical magazine length loads.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved

You can also search within the thread. I think there are other posts about the 64 bsb

Sure , it may kill one, but how badly will you hurt waiting for the bear to realize it’s dead. The latest stuck in the rut has some pretty exciting footage. Three good shots from a 338 rum, Then five more from a 454.
I watched that episode. Hard to believe that bear took 3 “good” shots from a 338 rum and still came at them like that. Its likely the only shot in the vitals was from the 454.

What's everyone's tikka liking for training ammo? Mine hates the green tip pmc stuff, to the point that I'm hesitant to buy a case of anything factory right now. 4 moa isn't useful for training myself or my kids.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
What's everyone's tikka liking for training ammo? Mine hates the green tip pmc stuff, to the point that I'm hesitant to buy a case of anything factory right now. 4 moa isn't useful for training myself or my kids.

Best value to accuracy I’ve found so far is Hornady frontier. Mine really likes the 68g and 75g BTHP’s and they can be found for around $13/box in Montana where I’m at.

This was a 10 shot group out of mine with the 68g BTHP.

Attachments

• C0E5854C-89CB-4888-AF17-258CAE4852E0.jpeg
    C0E5854C-89CB-4888-AF17-258CAE4852E0.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 55

schmalzy

WKR

75 grain Frontier

b28c9736c7fbefd73c8d7fc8d4f45ee8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
Best value to accuracy I’ve found so far is Hornady frontier. Mine really likes the 68g and 75g BTHP’s and they can be found for around $13/box in Montana where I’m at.

This was a 10 shot group out of mine with the 68g BTHP.

Whew. I'm glad to see that! I bought 7 cases of Hornady Frontier 68gr BTHP Match because it was $11.50/box. Haven't have a chance to shoot any of it yet though, other than a box for a rough zero and drops.

Last edited:

BLJ

WKR
If they made good shots they would have showed where the “good” shots actually hit on the carcass.

I watched the same guy shoot a grizzly in the ass to keep it from making the brush. A 460 yard Hail Mary to slow him down.
“Had to shoot him in the butt, big caliber though”.
I would say that there is a chance that shot placements from the RUM in the video mentioned above may be lacking as well.

[Edit to add: the new lot of ADI 69 SMK shot like hot garbage out of my t3x lite last weekend.]

I’ve shot a fair bit of ADI 55 Sierra blitzking (formerly sold as Australian outback) and it shoots as well as hand loaded 77tmk in my tikka @ 100 yards. ADI is the manufacturer of the hodgdon extreme line of powders and makes high quality brass too. They also make 69 smk ammo.

Last week the 55 SBK stuff was $0.60/ea and the 69 smk was $0.65/ea. very tough to beat.

I’m planning on shooting groups with both ADI rounds and comparing to AAC 77tmk and 75bthp which is also cheap and comparing soon.

[Edit with further info: Austrailian outback (by ADI) 55 SBK shot best, AAC 75bthp second best but seemed a little hot on some rounds, AAC 77smk wasnt pretty, and ADI 69smk was the worst of the 4.. was not an encouraging range trip]

Last edited: