.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

FCCDerek

FNG
Depends on the magazine. Example: no problem with 88’s out of my standard 223 chambered Montana (Shaen massaged the mag box to feed 88’s loaded to shoulder/boat tail junction and threaded a 1:7” twist Rock barrel). He asked if it was possible and my answer is accurate.
He was referring to an AR though, not much you can mod on those to add extra length.

Firth

FNG
He was referring to an AR though, not much you can mod on those to add extra length.
AICS bottom metal would get you there in a Tikka 223 for 88's or 75 ELDm (88's would need a new barrel, too). Not a bad swap if you prefer AICS mags anyway, less good if you prefer factory Tikka. I can't imagine the 88 would be splashy at 223 speeds, but have no experience. Doubt 88's would increase the range above 1,800 fps since the lower starting velocity offsets the higher BC. 75's would give it a bump.

AICS bottom metal would get you there in a Tikka 223 for 88's or 75 ELDm (88's would need a new barrel, too). Not a bad swap if you prefer AICS mags anyway, less good if you prefer factory Tikka. I can't imagine the 88 would be splashy at 223 speeds, but have no experience. Doubt 88's would increase the range above 1,800 fps since the lower starting velocity offsets the higher BC. 75's would give it a bump.

Just swaped a t3 lite 223 over to AICS. still have a little bit of fiddling to do with it, but I can run 75gr Amax's as long as I would like now

I’ve killed 8 Texas white tails and a few pigs with the 73 eld all inside of 250 yards, while it’s not my first choice of bullet there isn’t a deer or pig i wouldn’t shoot with one. I think they’re a bit splashy compared to a tmk. Exits on deer were at least golfball size.

Last edited:

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Any body using powders other than 8208, 4895, Varget, or Tac? Looking for other options based on availability locally up here. IMR or Hogdon is typically the most common locally. Thanks.

Hurley88

FNG
Hey everyone! Just finished all 130 pages. This is my first post in any forum of any kind; I’ve been a lurker (if I got that right) for over 15yrs.

Anyway I felt I had to respond for a couple of reasons. First, this forum has by FAR been the most helpful to me while I’ve been learning backcountry hunting over the last two years. Second, because this discussion finally squared the logical inconsistencies I’ve not been able to previously untangle. The concepts and empirical evidence discussed are invaluable. I’ve delved somewhat into terminal ballistics, read some of Martin Fackler’s work, read everything I could from Jack O’Connor & Chuck Hawks as well as others over the years…and still missed the basic concept. When it came time to buy a rifle I’d try to get the lowest-recoiling chambering that would be well within the realm of ‘acceptable’ for the task. I knew wounding was a function of the bullet, I knew about temporary and permanent stretch cavities, and I knew that a bullet which expands and damages the most tissue vital to life will produce a kill…but still somehow picked cartridges based upon anecdotal evidence and conventional wisdom.

I’ve been hunting for a little over 15yrs now and have moved from a 7WSM to the 30-06 then on to a 308, then a 7mm-08. At that level of recoil I could spot my shots often. I’ve primarily hunted deer and hogs here in Texas. So, the last three years I’ve even moved down to a 139 SST at 2500fps bc it works so well. I’m the guy who’s told that I need to shoot man guns by his friends, even though I have more one-shot kills than any of them! Which is fine, to each his own.

Now that I’m hunting in the mountains, earlier this year I set up another 7mmRM for an eventual elk hunt, just to have it. But had I ever shot an elk? Nope. And still I got the Rem Mag to shoot heavier bullets faster bc elk are “so tough”. LOL. And yes, I practice with that rifle just about as much as many of you can guess. I’ve had it all year and it has less than 100 rounds on the barrel.

So you guys have me curious about a couple of things:

1) Since CO & WY are a couple of mainstays for me (I hope), I’m leaning towards a Tikka T3X in 243 Win with the 95gr TMK as my one-and-done for most situations. It’ll kick less than my reduced recoil 7mm-08 load and be good for as far as I’ll ever shoot (I can keep all shots with my 7-08 tight at 450yds from field positions and with that rifle I do practice alot). If anyone is curious, I’ll add to the body of evidence with the 243. Or in a separate thread, however that needs to go.

2) In the interim, and this is the big one due to component availability, you guys have me thinking that my 7mm-08 with either the 139gr Hornady SST or BTSP could take an elk easily due to better expansion of those bullets. True/False?

Again, a big heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who has pitched in and provided so much info on this thread! Rokslide is awesome.

Well, I did what I threatened to do back in post #2,112; just finished putting together a "Rockslide Special."

Karl at Kampfeld Customs cut the barrel to 18" and threaded it. Check out the close-ups of his work. I can't believe how tidy the blending is from the barrel to the adapter (1/2-28 to 5/8-24). He such a good guy to work with. I couldn't be happier.

The pics show the rifle mocked up/dry fit. I still need to install a 1/2" LOP spacers, attach the comb risers, then degrease, clean, and torque everything. Looking forward to getting it zeroed and shooting some drills. I got 7 cases of Hornady Frontier 68gr BTHP Match to feed this rifle, so hopefully it shoots them halfway well.
What do you think of the Victor Company cheek rest? It looks clean, and to be a simpler solution than the Mountain Tactical cheek rest.

Hey everyone! Just finished all 130 pages. This is my first post in any forum of any kind; I’ve been a lurker (if I got that right) for over 15yrs.

Anyway I felt I had to respond for a couple of reasons. First, this forum has by FAR been the most helpful to me while I’ve been learning backcountry hunting over the last two years. Second, because this discussion finally squared the logical inconsistencies I’ve not been able to previously untangle. The concepts and empirical evidence discussed are invaluable. I’ve delved somewhat into terminal ballistics, read some of Martin Fackler’s work, read everything I could from Jack O’Connor & Chuck Hawks as well as others over the years…and still missed the basic concept. When it came time to buy a rifle I’d try to get the lowest-recoiling chambering that would be well within the realm of ‘acceptable’ for the task. I knew wounding was a function of the bullet, I knew about temporary and permanent stretch cavities, and I knew that a bullet which expands and damages the most tissue vital to life will produce a kill…but still somehow picked cartridges based upon anecdotal evidence and conventional wisdom.

I’ve been hunting for a little over 15yrs now and have moved from a 7WSM to the 30-06 then on to a 308, then a 7mm-08. At that level of recoil I could spot my shots often. I’ve primarily hunted deer and hogs here in Texas. So, the last three years I’ve even moved down to a 139 SST at 2500fps bc it works so well. I’m the guy who’s told that I need to shoot man guns by his friends, even though I have more one-shot kills than any of them! Which is fine, to each his own.

Now that I’m hunting in the mountains, earlier this year I set up another 7mmRM for an eventual elk hunt, just to have it. But had I ever shot an elk? Nope. And still I got the Rem Mag to shoot heavier bullets faster bc elk are “so tough”. LOL. And yes, I practice with that rifle just about as much as many of you can guess. I’ve had it all year and it has less than 100 rounds on the barrel.

So you guys have me curious about a couple of things:

1) Since CO & WY are a couple of mainstays for me (I hope), I’m leaning towards a Tikka T3X in 243 Win with the 95gr TMK as my one-and-done for most situations. It’ll kick less than my reduced recoil 7mm-08 load and be good for as far as I’ll ever shoot (I can keep all shots with my 7-08 tight at 450yds from field positions and with that rifle I do practice alot). If anyone is curious, I’ll add to the body of evidence with the 243. Or in a separate thread, however that needs to go.

2) In the interim, and this is the big one due to component availability, you guys have me thinking that my 7mm-08 with either the 139gr Hornady SST or BTSP could take an elk easily due to better expansion of those bullets. True/False?

Again, a big heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who has pitched in and provided so much info on this thread! Rokslide is awesome.

There are a lot of very dead elk that were shot with the 7-08. If you are good with it to 450 yards and practice with it more than the others, my suggestion would be to keep using it. I have killed a pile of animals with the 139 grain SSTs, however none of them were elk. That being said, I can confidently say that if I was in the woods with my 7-08 and 139 grain SSTs I would not hesitate to shoot an elk.