.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Txmike

FNG
Ummmm…I’m not so sure about this statement.

Gravity has less effect whether uphill or downhill so your aim point should be lower than level for a given slant range.

Some rangefinders will compensate for this with equivalent horizontal range.
I was thinking of a closer range shot and thinking more of height over bore—and really over simplified the equation so much so—it just is wrong. But you are correct. Here is a good video explaining it—for anyone interested.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Probably y’all already know this..but for those who don’t. When shooting at a sharp upward angle, you must aim higher than your intended poi for that range. Opposite holds true for downward angle shots. The sharper the angle, the more exaggerated.
Nope
It's the distance on a horizontal line, gravity doesn't know if it's uphill or downhill.
That is why you compensate for the hor. range when a rangefinder shows both the horizontal distance
and the distance at an angle, you use the hor. distance to compensate.

There are several articles on this subject.

Oh, I see the post above that just beat mine, we are all here to learn, welcome to the forum.

Rooggvc

WKR
Well last month I finally got to try out the rokslide special on a deer of my own. First things first I shot like crap and am not happy with how it all turned out. But I will try it again next season because I don’t feel satisfied with my results or my shooting so don’t feel it was a fair representation of the rifle/ammo.

Initial shot was 350 yards at a very steep uphill angle. Skimmed the bottom of his brisket and caught the offside leg. Second shot hit what I thought was just behind the shoulder while broadside and he dropped but got back to his feet moments later. I saw he was still trying to stand so I ran up the hill in an attempt to finish him quicker and get a more stable rest. The last shot was taken from 250 yards slightly quartered away and put him down for good approximately 10 minutes after the first shot was taken. After the fact I wish I’d have dug into the cavity of the deer to see what had happened cuz I just don’t see how he survived for 10 minutes after the second shot seeing where it entered. Anyways here’s a few pics without much science behind them.
View attachment 481194View attachment 481195
That is a cool looking buck.

FCCDerek

FNG
Been killing with an 18” tikka in 223 shooting the 77gr TMK’s.
Recently came across a deal on a 1/8 twist left handed 22-250 and snagged it. Plan on running more 77gr TMK’s over h4350… anyone chopped a 22-250 to 18” and shot the 77tmk or 80gr Eldm ?
Anxious to see what velocities people are seeing
I'm having a 22CM done with an 18" barrel. You should be able to about match velocities from that, and from what I've read and heard from the Gunsmith thats doing the work for me, 3100-3200 is very reasonable speeds to expect from a 77-88gr projectile out of an 18" barrel. I think you'll be very happy with that 22-250 with an 18" barrel on it. Are you going to suppress it?

kkp005

WKR
I'm having a 22CM done with an 18" barrel. You should be able to about match velocities from that, and from what I've read and heard from the Gunsmith thats doing the work for me, 3100-3200 is very reasonable speeds to expect from a 77-88gr projectile out of an 18" barrel. I think you'll be very happy with that 22-250 with an 18" barrel on it. Are you going to suppress it?
Thanks!!
Yes sir… I’ve gotten to where I shoot everything suppressed now… thats why I’m wanting to cut it down

FCCDerek

FNG
Thanks!!
Yes sir… I’ve gotten to where I shoot everything suppressed now… thats why I’m wanting to cut it down
Good call, that will be a handy little rifle! You'll lose a touch of speed but assuming they chop the barrel down correctly you won't lose any accuracy. That'll be a great setup!

Axlrod

WKR
Only took me three days to read... those 77 tmks are wicked! Awesome thread with A TON of valuable information.
Agreed! But at close to 2500 posts, there are enough potential customers to out run Sierra's production capability forever. Mods please delete this thread, and block all new threads with "77 TMK" in the title. Until such time there is an ample supply! :ROFLMAO:

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider
What are the pros and cons of a 22-250/22CM versus the .223? Since LH Tikka .223s are hard to find I thought about rebarreling my T3 7-08 to .223. However, LH 384 bolt assemblies are impossible to find as well. Seems like rebarreling to a 22CM might be the answer, but is it worth it if all of my realistic hunting scenarios will be <300 yards? Am I better off just waiting for a .223?

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
Can we somehow start a scoreboard where we can see all the kills with the 77 tmk and eldm in one place without having to go through 125 pages?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
NO

Giving people a cheat sheet with pictures ignores all the other information in the 125 pages you should be learning at the same time.
Exactly. And you can't graduate until you read the whole entire thread. PNWGATOR actually gets a commission from sierra bullets each time the thread is completed. 👏👏

Randy

FCCDerek

FNG
At least he’s not counting on commission from 77 TMK sales. He’d be living in a homeless encampment for a loooooonnggg time.
You're not kidding there. I haven't seen them on a shelf or for sale anywhere for awhile. At least not longer than a few minutes at a time.