.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
What muzzle device is that??

Edit: Nice rifle BTW!!

It’s a BCA 20” heavy stainless fluted. It’s a tac driver for sure. Their spiral flash hider. It’s got a rave 140 trigger. I like the setup a lot. Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Well last month I finally got to try out the rokslide special on a deer of my own. First things first I shot like crap and am not happy with how it all turned out. But I will try it again next season because I don’t feel satisfied with my results or my shooting so don’t feel it was a fair representation of the rifle/ammo.

Initial shot was 350 yards at a very steep uphill angle. Skimmed the bottom of his brisket and caught the offside leg. Second shot hit what I thought was just behind the shoulder while broadside and he dropped but got back to his feet moments later. I saw he was still trying to stand so I ran up the hill in an attempt to finish him quicker and get a more stable rest. The last shot was taken from 250 yards slightly quartered away and put him down for good approximately 10 minutes after the first shot was taken. After the fact I wish I’d have dug into the cavity of the deer to see what had happened cuz I just don’t see how he survived for 10 minutes after the second shot seeing where it entered. Anyways here’s a few pics without much science behind them.
7FF6897C-5B02-4001-BF56-1CE196DB8A85.jpeg0E2A4015-0A99-4C01-AA2A-70B2362833F4.jpeg

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a BCA 20” heavy stainless fluted. It’s a tac driver for sure. Their spiral flash hider. It’s got a rave 140 trigger. I like the setup a lot. Thanks !

Thanks for the info! I've got a similar one and was looking for something simple besides an A2. That looks sharp!!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Well last month I finally got to try out the rokslide special on a deer of my own. First things first I shot like crap and am not happy with how it all turned out. But I will try it again next season because I don’t feel satisfied with my results or my shooting so don’t feel it was a fair representation of the rifle/ammo.

Initial shot was 350 yards at a very steep uphill angle. Skimmed the bottom of his brisket and caught the offside leg. Second shot hit what I thought was just behind the shoulder while broadside and he dropped but got back to his feet moments later. I saw he was still trying to stand so I ran up the hill in an attempt to finish him quicker and get a more stable rest. The last shot was taken from 250 yards slightly quartered away and put him down for good approximately 10 minutes after the first shot was taken. After the fact I wish I’d have dug into the cavity of the deer to see what had happened cuz I just don’t see how he survived for 10 minutes after the second shot seeing where it entered. Anyways here’s a few pics without much science behind them.
View attachment 481194View attachment 481195

Where’s the exit on the second shot? With your description of the shot, there’s a chance that the second didn’t even enter the cavity and instead went between the scapula and ribs.

I can tell you just from the wounds visible that the wounds in the cavity were severe.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Where’s the exit on the second shot? With your description of the shot, there’s a chance that the second didn’t even enter the cavity and instead went between the scapula and ribs.

I can tell you just from the wounds visible that the wounds in the cavity were severe.
I hadn’t even thought about that possibility being it was a broadside shot. I didn’t get the impression it had stayed outside the cavity but suppose it’s possible. If I recall correctly when I peeled the hide on the opposite side one was below and just back from the scapula and the other was a few inches above the knuckle in the blade.

Floridave

FNG

I just built up a rifle using one of their side charging uppers. Really like the side charge, I think especially for hunting I will prefer it.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
Just loaded up some 69grain tmks for a CZ. Wanted to go 77 but it’s a 1:9 twist. Can’t wait to see how they do and glad to see someone else keeping this thread alive.
How did these work out (sorry if I missed this update somewhere... I'm only on page 17 of 124 reading through this thread). I also have a CZ. Is there an easy way to tell what your twist is? I've heard that some of the CZ's are 1:9 and some are 1:12.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I hadn’t even thought about that possibility being it was a broadside shot. I didn’t get the impression it had stayed outside the cavity but suppose it’s possible. If I recall correctly when I peeled the hide on the opposite side one was below and just back from the scapula and the other was a few inches above the knuckle in the blade.

That way just an idea being you said it was a sharp upward angle.

The two that I would like start hunting with mainly are my 6.5 Grendel and 300 Blackout. Both are on AR platforms. The 300aac would be 0-200 yard and the Grendel I would like to be able to push out to 400. Thank you!

Another bullet that I have personal experience with in the 6.5G is the Cavity Back MKZ 105gr. The CB bullets were developed initially for use in the 6.8, but the same dynamic applies for any of the “smaller” cartridges that have lower impact speeds.

I have killed 4 axis deer and three whitetails with those bullets and had perfect performance with them each time.

kkp005

WKR
Been killing with an 18” tikka in 223 shooting the 77gr TMK’s.
Recently came across a deal on a 1/8 twist left handed 22-250 and snagged it. Plan on running more 77gr TMK’s over h4350… anyone chopped a 22-250 to 18” and shot the 77tmk or 80gr Eldm ?
Anxious to see what velocities people are seeing

BBob

WKR
Probably y’all already know this..but for those who don’t. When shooting at a sharp upward angle, you must aim higher than your intended poi for that range. Opposite holds true for downward angle shots. The sharper the angle, the more exaggerated.
I think you better get back to the books and do a little more research on that ;)

BjornF16

WKR
Probably y’all already know this..but for those who don’t. When shooting at a sharp upward angle, you must aim higher than your intended poi for that range. Opposite holds true for downward angle shots. The sharper the angle, the more exaggerated.
Ummmm…I’m not so sure about this statement.

Gravity has less effect whether uphill or downhill so your aim point should be lower than level for a given slant range.

Some rangefinders will compensate for this with equivalent horizontal range.

woods89

WKR
How did these work out (sorry if I missed this update somewhere... I'm only on page 17 of 124 reading through this thread). I also have a CZ. Is there an easy way to tell what your twist is? I've heard that some of the CZ's are 1:9 and some are 1:12.
I'm not the guy you quoted, but I have a buck and a doe a few pages back with 69 TMK out of a CZ 527. 77s don't work well out of mine. It's a 1-9 twist and I think it's stamped on the side of my barrel.

Both deer were fairly close, one 15 yds and the other 60 yds or so. Both were dead within 80 yds. One exited, one didn't. 69s appear to kill well from my small sample size, but compared to what I see on here from 77s they are not as devastating.

1-8 twist barrels are the way.....