.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

My first post, I’m not even a hunter yet (got my license recently) and I have to say this is probably the most valuable forum post I have ever read. So much information that my head is spinning.
All my life I heard that the 223/5.56 is only for small to mid game at 100-150yards max. It’s like I was in the matrix and somebody just gave me a red pill.

Rob5589

WKR
My first post, I’m not even a hunter yet (got my license recently) and I have to say this is probably the most valuable forum post I have ever read. So much information that my head is spinning.
All my life I heard that the 223/5.56 is only for small to mid game at 100-150yards max. It’s like I was in the matrix and somebody just gave me a red pill.
Welcome!

TheGDog

WKR
So ok.. I know the star of the show on this thread is the Sierra TMK 77gr.

BUT

I have some Barnes 62gr TTSX BT.

My question is for those of you with soo much more experience using the .223 Rem on bigger game.

If loaded up with the intention of using them on game, what would be the upper limit on species you'd attempt to use them on?

I'm only bothering to ask because it's not the 77 TMK, and weighs a little less, so figured wise to ask around before I try something that puts me in a world of hurt.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So ok.. I know the star of the show on this thread is the Sierra TMK 77gr.

BUT

My question is for those of you with soo much more experience using the .223 Rem on bigger game.

If loaded up with the intention of using them on game, what would be the upper limit on species you'd attempt to use them on?

I'm only bothering to ask because it's not the 77 TMK, and weighs a little less, so figured wise to ask around before I try something that puts me in a world of hurt.

There isn’t any animal you can’t shoot with them, it’s just going to be a narrow, deep wound. Think broadhead.

I think I posted about it someplace, but we have done in some deer and a caribou with the 62 TSX when it was all I could find. I got full penetration and the damage on the relatively close range deer shots was more than adequate. On the caribou it trashed both shoulder blades and exited, but the wound channel was less impressive.

Like all TSX bullets, it needs speed to do damage. I'd have no issues using it on deer or even caribou again if that's what I had, but would try to keep the ranges limited just for impact velocity reasons. Put one on the vitals though, and it will do the job.

That gun is currently sighted in for 70 gr Accubonds, and I generally expect I'll get a bit better terminal performance from that bullet.

Maybe an odd place for this post. I'll have to add a hunt story soon.

For anyone who remembers my questions regarding my Yukon hunt about 12-15 pages back...
I ended up shooting my moose at 35 yards with the 338 WM. Shot a grizz at about 115. As stated, this thread has opened my eyes and I absolutely love my Tikka .223 with the TMKs. But yeah, it was pretty cool shooting freehand at 35 yards with the big gun. Plenty of velo at that range for the TTSX to do it's thing! Big guns are cool too, even if not necessary.

Any one have experience with the Howa Mini in 223 with the 1/8 twist?

I have read the bottom metal/mag sucks, but I would probably put the aftermarket hinged floorplate on it. Interested in both the regular models and the newer carbon stock models or even a chassis set up so the kids can shoot it too.

What about the CZ 600?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
There isn’t any animal you can’t shoot with them, it’s just going to be a narrow, deep wound. Think broadhead.
Aww...Ok... so think of it like a bow shot. Ok, so potentially a bit of a longer tracking job then. Meh... not a good idea in the Zone I'm trying in right now.

Ok... since I don't have the time to re-sight-in, I guess I'll beat myself up with the 168gr .308 TTSX this year (If I'm lucky) Then next year try to switch over to the 130gr TTSX I just picked up.

In another different zone, I'd be totally confident with the .223, as long as there was enough distance away from private property boundaries. Meh... just thought maybe it could help shed even more weight that's being carried around if I could lug the .223 around in San Bernardino Mtns also. But out there, I don't wanna risk a long tracking job. It's hard enough with my lower back stuff just travelling thru the place sometimes. Thx

EDIT: Just to be clear, those who are responding to me are talking with the TTSX in mind, correct? Not the TSX.