.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

BLJ

WKR
There isn’t a bear anywhere that I’d hesitate to put a 77TMK into. The wound channels and terminal performance of the bullet is impressive and effective.

That said, if you’re wanting exits, it may not be you’re huckleberry.

Is your experience solely with black bears? Any experience with grizzlies or browns? In reference to the 77 TMK. Thanks.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going with the Federal Fusion 62gr in .223 for spring black bear this season. Took my kiddo out with my rokslide special and he shot steel for two hours straight. He is 5 years old and loved it. He was hitting the 14” gong at 200 yards and wants to go back every weekend. I also got a lot of trigger time in and it’s a great system to train with and hunt. Hopefully will have a bear picture to share in the next few weeks.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
What is recommended for an alternative for practice instead of the unicorn 77s? 77smk that I can find in seconds or 73eldm? Or something else? I am reloading.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I think Form and others noted using Hornady Frontier 68gr and 75gr bthp. Around me I can find scores of 69gr SMK but they are $.35 per. I’m planning on using 60gr hornady SP that I can find for $.16 per

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Ok since I have some Lapua 22-250 brass I’m thinking about buying a 22-250 8 twist T3X Lite in SS. Chopping the barrel, using my stash of 77 TMK’s.
Mainly for deer and maybe antelope.
Crazy?
What’s the consensus on barrel length and then powder charge?

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Ok since I have some Lapua 22-250 brass I’m thinking about buying a 22-250 8 twist T3X Lite in SS. Chopping the barrel, using my stash of 77 TMK’s.
Mainly for deer and maybe antelope.
Crazy?
What’s the consensus on barrel length and then powder charge?
88 ELDMs would be nice out of that.

zacko

FNG
A few pages of waffle here before you get into photos but some examples of .223 on NZ Game Animals . It has always being popular but has gained alot of traction with the 8 twist factory offerings

Hard to argue the BC advantage of the 88s if you can make them work.

I shot some groundhogs and coyotes with 224 Valkyrie 88gr ELDM factory ammo. No way would I use those things on a big game animal. Based on my experience with them and what I've seen people post pics of in this thread they absolutely are not a substitute for 77gr TMK's.

grfox92

WKR
I figure this would be a good place to post this rather then start a new thread.

I listened to this podcast with Seth Swerczik from Hornady. They talked about a lot, but what got my attention is he went out of his way to say that they don't recommend their ELDM for hunting in any situation. He didn't just say it once or casually, but he made it a talking point. He stated that some people have great results at long range, but at shorter ranges they will be very inafective.

I'm not questioning the effectiveness of the bullets as I've seen most of the pictures in this thread.

Is the effectiveness of ELDM or TMK limited to smaller bullets like 6.5 or .223?

I have a box of 168g eldm in 308 that I was thinking about hunting with. Just wanted to see what you guys think.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
d94dd9a96e379f2c4ceecc5eba2a08b1.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
I shot some groundhogs and coyotes with 224 Valkyrie 88gr ELDM factory ammo. No way would I use those things on a big game animal. Based on my experience with them and what I've seen people post pics of in this thread they absolutely are not a substitute for 77gr TMK's.
What did you see to suggest they are not a substitute?

Personally I don’t take much merit in what a bullet does to small game, seems like as long a tipped bullet expands they make a mess.

My plan was to use the 88 for my out west deer gun this year.