.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

260madman

WKR
I got a bit ahead of myself/excited and purchased these - not withstanding a domestic ammo embargo (although delivered at home - I don’t have the stones to have ammo delivered to work), and my lack of a RS Special. My ARs will be considered, but I’m sort of on the fence. Reminds me of when I bought the Asteroids Atari cartridge, but I didn’t have Atari. Yet.

View attachment 478703
ARs are just fine. Might not be a “cool kid” but gets the job done. I’m slumming a couple Salvages this week, I want to get a deer with my 26” stainless fluted varmint. I’ve said it before that I’ll hunt with every rifle I own regardless of weight.

fwafwow

WKR
ARs are just fine. Might not be a “cool kid” but gets the job done. I’m slumming a couple Salvages this week, I want to get a deer with my 26” stainless fluted varmint. I’ve said it before that I’ll hunt with every rifle I own regardless of weight.
One of mine is short, so at least I’ve got that going for me.

LimeSpoon

FNG
I got a bit ahead of myself/excited and purchased these - not withstanding a domestic ammo embargo (although delivered at home - I don’t have the stones to have ammo delivered to work), and my lack of a RS Special. My ARs will be considered, but I’m sort of on the fence. Reminds me of when I bought the Asteroids Atari cartridge, but I didn’t have Atari. Yet.

View attachment 478703
Do they look to be cannelured?

I'd love to have an additional source of factory 77 gr TMK to complement my Black Hills stuff but I'd like to see something with cannelures and ideally the same POI; to that end, I wouldn't mind seeing some chronograph and zeroing information, if anyone gets the chance to test them on the range. The quoted 2700 FPS @14.5" barrel mentioned earlier is actually a touch fast for my taste as I'm getting the same velocity numbers from the Black Hills ammo out of a 16" barrel, but then again I'm the sort of person who's perhaps irrationally averse to dialing.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus , and anyone else.

If a guy wanted an exit 80% of the time, even catching one scapula, inside 2-300 yds, on mid size whitetails, what's the best way to get there? 80+gr bullets out of a really fast twist 223? Hotter 22 cal and 88s? Mild or mid 6mm with 100+ gr bullets? I know my 6.5 with 130-140s basically always exits.

It may sound weird but I hunt some steep, thick country every year where more leaking is better. I've pondered putting a rifle together for that specific type of hunting and wondered just what I would choose.

I would shoot bone with 77TMK’s and be done. However, baring that- in 223 for exits generally, the 75gr Hornady HPBT will usually exit, but doesn’t kill as quickly. 88gr ELD-M’s will usually do it as well from 223’s on up. 6mm’s like the ARC, 243/6CM with the aforementioned 95gr NBT, 108gr ELD-M, etc will do it. Also for exits, the Hornady 105gr HPBT does really well.

I would shoot bone with 77TMK’s and be done. However, baring that- in 223 for exits generally, the 75gr Hornady HPBT will usually exit, but doesn’t kill as quickly. 88gr ELD-M’s will usually do it as well from 223’s on up. 6mm’s like the ARC, 243/6CM with the aforementioned 95gr NBT, 108gr ELD-M, etc will do it. Also for exits, the Hornady 105gr HPBT does really well.

2 evenings ago I had no exit with the 6 arc and 108 eldm. 200ish yards, no heavy bone impact, just behind the shoulder. Absolutely grenaded the insides tho. 150#ish Doe. It's also a sample of 1. Seemed to be one that was just tough, she reared back and hit the dirt, thought it was a drt, but got up and took off. Went about 100 yards, then went down in the field.

Guess I'll put the next one thru the shoulder.

Good bit of experience with .260 and 6.5C with Amax snd ELD-M’S (140&147), seems to be a consistent exit performance on WT.

View attachment 478703

20221113_112230.jpg

fwafwow

WKR
Do they look to be cannelured?

I'd love to have an additional source of factory 77 gr TMK to complement my Black Hills stuff but I'd like to see something with cannelures and ideally the same POI; to that end, I wouldn't mind seeing some chronograph and zeroing information, if anyone gets the chance to test them on the range. The quoted 2700 FPS @14.5" barrel mentioned earlier is actually a touch fast for my taste as I'm getting the same velocity numbers from the Black Hills ammo out of a 16" barrel, but then again I'm the sort of person who's perhaps irrationally averse to dialing.

Attachments

• CCDF11C4-B07A-46DC-BBF7-D7FBF5E69706.jpeg
    CCDF11C4-B07A-46DC-BBF7-D7FBF5E69706.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 110

fwafwow

WKR
@Billy Goat, you could use some manscaping.

In hindsight, the office would have been better. I was sweating waiting for the UPS truck. I tracked that dude and managed to meet him “by happenstance” at the mailbox.

I can hear the inevitable “fwafwow is afraid of Mrs fwafwow.” Yes, I am. I’ve broken so many edicts that I’m on something weaker than thin ice.

Back to your normal programming

fwafwow

WKR
I had gun parts delivered where I worked and the place was a no weapons of any kind facility, not even your car. Become ungovernable.
The juice isn’t worth the squeeze - for me. The downside of a lost job vs the wrath at home is close though.

@Billy Goat, you could use some manscaping.

In hindsight, the office would have been better. I was sweating waiting for the UPS truck. I tracked that dude and managed to meet him “by happenstance” at the mailbox.

I can hear the inevitable “fwafwow is afraid of Mrs fwafwow.” Yes, I am. I’ve broken so many edicts that I’m on something weaker than thin ice.

Back to your normal programming

Time for you to declare you are King of your Castle.

Actually, I'd recommend not saying that. Especially around 10:45pm after too much Bourbon.

T.C

FNG
I have a tikka compact 20in barrel I shot the stand one yesterday after adding sportsmatch and z5i. This has been the norm 3 shots from this gun but less that 30 rounds down barrel. Have some unknownmunitions 77 coming also to try.

Attachments

• 20221123_173604.jpg
    20221123_173604.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 107

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
The juice isn’t worth the squeeze - for me. The downside of a lost job vs the wrath at home is close though.
You can have stuff sent to any of the ups stores, Fed ex pickup locations or any small pack and ship offices. I do that any time nobody's going to be home and it's a signature required package.

fwafwow

WKR
You can have stuff sent to any of the ups stores, Fed ex pickup locations or any small pack and ship offices. I do that any time nobody's going to be home and it's a signature required package.
I should probably just cut back on buying $hit. The Lenz socks, the components for the JRB climbing system, ammo, Vivo shoes and boots. Etc. I need an intervention.