.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

I'm in the process of trying to consolidate to as few components and ammo types as possible. Keeping different ammo for different rifles has been a pain for over a decade.

Firth

FNG
Why not just shoot the same ammo?

Are you suggesting that he shouldn't load up special ammo with the charge weight and seating depth tuned perfectly to the rifle?

giphy.gif

Seriously though, all my .223s get fed 75 bthp, because I got a couple thousand cheap and I've decided it's good enough for what I'm going to do with them. Full disclosure, I did just buy a bunch of factory second 77 tmks.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm in the process of trying to consolidate to as few components and ammo types as possible. Keeping different ammo for different rifles has been a pain for over a decade.
Do you reload? This is part of the reason I started reloading. Really easy to keep a keg of powder and a few thousand bullets around and have the same exact ammo throughout the life of a barrel.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Well I’m afraid I’ll end up grabbing the wrong box and end up over pressuring or something. Like the 77 tmk load is loaded longer with special mags. I guess I could use the tmk lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL resize everything and load the TMK to 2.26oal. Everything will feed/function and you don’t have to deal with the BS.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
FL resize everything and load the TMK to 2.26oal. Everything will feed/function and you don’t have to deal with the BS.

10-4 sir that simplifies it. For the 20” 223 wylde I had to get special mags and load them to 2.310 to get them to group well. So I’ll just have separate mags for it and roll with it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you reload? This is part of the reason I started reloading. Really easy to keep a keg of powder and a few thousand bullets around and have the same exact ammo throughout the life of a barrel.
yes. and even so, consolidation is my current strategy, preferably on stuff that is consistently available. Various components have gone through cycles of poor availbility since at least 2012. We see it in this thread with the 77 tmk and IMR 8208 too.

Lawnboi

WKR
yes. and even so, consolidation is my current strategy, preferably on stuff that is consistently available. Various components have gone through cycles of poor availbility since at least 2012. We see it in this thread with the 77 tmk and IMR 8208 too.
I did nearly the same thing, but at a time when you could actually get 77tmk. I also only have 3 hunting guns, so that helps. 3006, creedmoors and the 223.

Now for what Iv got I pretty much will buy all the h4350 and Xbr that I can, and that’s it.

Appropriate amount of good brass and I only have to worry about bullets.

I’d like to buy a barrels worth of bullets, and have/will if I can in the future but that can be a tough one to come up with the capital for.

I just got tired of factory ammo avaliablilty, and the fact that I had many lots. I do t think I’ll ever be in a place where it’s reasonable to buy a barrels worth of factory ammo in the current market. An 8lb jug of Xbr and a couple thousand TMK are well within reach though.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Can I load 77grain SMKs with the same charge and expect closeish results for a slightly cheaper target/training option? Obviously we are all trying to save TMKs given how hard they are to find. Currently using 24.5grains of TAC at 2.26

I don’t at all understand the hard on guys get for subsonic rifle cartridges. Maybe someone can explain.

A subsonic 22 cal, isn’t that basically a 22lr
I don't have a hard on for it.

Which subsonic 22 LR load would be the equivalent of a 55 grain 223 bullet, what 22 rifle is twisted to deliver it, and which state would allow it?

I may have the opportunity to lease some acreage that abuts an upscale residential area. The situation is such that window rattling big booms associated with hunting could create enough pressure on the landowner to disallow the lease.

The post is “.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose”. As I stated earlier, if it’s legal in your state go for it. Even with the 77 gr TMK, it will fall below 1000 ft/lbs of energy around 160 yards. For small deer at close range (less than 200 yds) its probably fine. For large deer I feel it’s marginal, especially at range. For bear, elk or moose its probably unethical. Magnum cartridges are unnecessary however I feel we owe the animal a quick clean dispatch with a cartridge best matched for the quarry. I realize this is an unpopular position on this thread, however I respectfully disagree. After 30 years of military experience with 5.56 cartridge, I have doubts on its suitability for big game.
Ftlbs of energy is somewhat irrelevant. Guys say you have to have 1500 for big game or whatever and it is nothing more than an arbitrary number. A 10mm at the muzzle has like 700 - if you shove a 10mm behind the shoulder of a moose and pull the trigger will it kill it? Absolutely. You weren’t shooting the right bullets in the military - so it isnt a fair representation of what the cartridge is capable of.

The point of this thread is that "Bullets matter." I was once squarely in the camp of a .223 not being enough for big game. But...I read and watched this thread with an open mind. After a while I jumped in and bought a Tikka T3X stainless .223 1-8 twist, chopped it to 17 inches, slapped my TBAC Ultra 7 and SWFA scope on it and loaded up some TMKs (side note...we use the standard 77 gr Matchkings for practice as they are readily available and hit to essentially same point of impact with exact same load to 300 yards). My 8 year old LOVES this rifle. He previously hunted with my old Remington model 7 youth in .243. He developed a flinch due to recoil. We have since cured that with the .223. He then says he wants to hunt with the Tikka .223 so we did. In the past 2 weekends he has shot 2 whitetail deer with the 77 gr TMK, one a 120 pound doe at 60 yards and one a nice 8 point buck (around 200 pounds) at nearly 90 yards (his first buck...yes im on the hook for a shoulder mount) . The results were devastating. The doe ran about 35 yards but the blood trail was ridiculous. The buck ran no more than 20 yards and i saw him fall. My son made perfect shots right behind the front shoulder. Heart was mush on both. Massive wound channel (I should have taken pics but I didnt) and internal damage was impressive. Let me say it again...BULLETS MATTER. The 77 gr TMK is legit. The guys I hunt with were in disbelief at how devastating this bullet was. They were convinced that those deer were shot with a magnum. I would not hesitate, based on what I have personally seen, to use it on bigger game. The pics in this thread demonstrate clearly the efficacy of this bullet on bigger game too. So, @Mark.c , how many animals have you PERSONALLY killed or seen killed with THIS bullet (the 77 gr TMK)? If the answer is zero, I encourage you to keep an open mind and try it yourself.

Lawnboi

WKR

Which subsonic 22 LR load would be the equivalent of a 55 grain 223 bullet, what 22 rifle is twisted to deliver it, and which state would allow it?

I may have the opportunity to lease some acreage that abuts an upscale residential area. The situation is such that window rattling big booms associated with hunting could create enough pressure on the landowner to disallow the lease.
Not necessarily singling you out just seems like there is a guy in every crowd that wants subsonic.

Obviously you have a reason for it. I think I’d rather use a crossbow.

Not necessarily singling you out just seems like there is a guy in every crowd that wants subsonic.

Obviously you have a reason for it. I think I’d rather use a crossbow.

I always thought that a 45 acp might work nice. Heavy pistol bullets, but don't know how much expansion you could really get tho at something like 700 fps.

Kinda puts the point tho of most anything subsonic you are really just talking lighter than handgun rounds.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider

Subsonic with a suppressor is quiet enough but I decided it wasn't worth the effort.
I tried Trailboss with 55gr ballistic tips, and 75gr eldm with the tips removed. I didn't shoot deer but rather shot them into water filled jugs at 45 yards. The only one of these I would try deer with is the heavier ones. With the can on, full power loads don't sound much different than a .22 mag, and if it's legal then one crack of a .22 isn't much of a concern. The 75gr I tried actually looked like it would work well enough, and quietly if needed.

Then again, my neighbors hear gunshots from all around us, randomly, all year so it goes basically unnoticed.

FLS

WKR
Can I load 77grain SMKs with the same charge and expect closeish results for a slightly cheaper target/training option? Obviously we are all trying to save TMKs given how hard they are to find. Currently using 24.5grains of TAC at 2.26
Yes. I have shot thousands of SMKs over 24.5 grains of TAC loaded to 2.26” In my rifles they’re actually more accurate than the the TMKs. If you don’t need the terminal performance, I don’t don’t see a reason to shoot them.

Has anyone played with CFE223 and the TMK?

TAC I assume the better option, we'll, XBR being the best, but currently I have Varget, Tac, and CFE223. Seems like I'm likely best going with TAC.