210 acres

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Good evening elk hunters!

I leave Friday for an archery elk hunt in an alpine basin I’ve hunted 3 times over the previous 10 years. I am addicted to this spot. No matter where Im hunting I always wish to be there and year after year it frustrates me but I can’t give it up. There aren’t many elk, but every year I encounter a masher or two. I know Im getting close to putting a bull on the ground. Here’s the thing: this entire area is 210 acres large. It’s a large basin surrounded by big rocky cliff bands that the elk can’t climb. The elk live in this basin all summer and into late fall but their travel route down the mountain funnels right into a unit I can’t hunt. They have everything they need in this basin; food, water, bedding timber and without pressure they don’t seem to leave until the snow comes. I’m always hyper careful in this spot because it’s GRUELING getting into it and they have an easy escape out. My game plan is always to glass from up on the rim then sneak down to the elk when they come out to feed. I’m not an elk caller and not interested really in trying. When the wind is right, I’ll risk sitting in a natural blind near their feeding areas or by a wallow. Rarely, I’ll still hunt the timber. Anyway, I’m getting ready for my trip and thought maybe I’d ask on here if anyone has experience successfully hunting elk in a small area like this and what has worked for you? Any tips are appreciated and maybe I’ll have the courage to try something new at the risk of blowing these elk out of there 😂

Scoot

WKR
I'm no help on this one. I'd never restrict myself to one small area and my hunting style is completely and totally different than yours. Sounds like you're having fun though, so go out there and get a good one this year!

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
How many days are you going to hunt this basin? I've hunted drainages that I had all to myself and was targeting a certain bull. Sounds like similar to your situation, I was very patient, made sure I had great wind and tried to get a good pattern on the herd. Id dedicate a few days to this spot, and be more aggressive each day. But strike if the iron is hot, like there is a few bulls bugling and chaos in the herd. If not calling you might be successful by getting in between a couple of the bulls, and dogging the herd.

If you know where they are bedded why not stalk in, at least within striking distance? 100, 150 yards? Assuming you have good consistent wind. Never know when a bull is going to get up or a coyote spooks and scatters the herd.

Laramie

WKR
1662562028242.png

IMO you should come up with a plan and get aggressive. Trying to be super careful with elk rarely works in the end. You will have to risk blowing the elk out to put yourself in a position to possibly shoot one of them. I'm not saying charge in with reckless abandon, but you will have to take some chances. Have plans B, C, and D ready to go if you fail with plan A.

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
How many days are you going to hunt this basin? I've hunted drainages that I had all to myself and was targeting a certain bull. Sounds like similar to your situation, I was very patient, made sure I had great wind and tried to get a good pattern on the herd. Id dedicate a few days to this spot, and be more aggressive each day. But strike if the iron is hot, like there is a few bulls bugling and chaos in the herd. If not calling you might be successful by getting in between a couple of the bulls, and dogging the herd.
I’ll be in there for three nights then back at it a few days later for another couple and finally at the end of the season two more nights. I haven’t tried getting more aggressive as time goes one. I’ll try that

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no help on this one. I'd never restrict myself to one small area and my hunting style is completely and totally different than yours. Sounds like you're having fun though, so go out there and get a good one this year.
Yes. I do love this spot

Hnthrdr

WKR
Man I get that you aren’t a caller, but don’t limit yourself, if these are unpressured elk. Calling can be especially deadly. I’m not talking about bugling, but some light cow calling from a IV line above or below a bedded bull is super deadly if they are really rutting

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Well I gave it my annual effort again! Got a little more aggressive than usual and did do some some cow calling this time. I got to about 80 yards of a big palmated 8x8 pushing around a bunch of cows on day one. Then silence in the basin for the rest of the hunt. Another beautiful year. I’ll be in there again next year!

Tmac

WKR
Good evening elk hunters!

I leave Friday for an archery elk hunt in an alpine basin I’ve hunted 3 times over the previous 10 years. I am addicted to this spot. No matter where Im hunting I always wish to be there and year after year it frustrates me but I can’t give it up. There aren’t many elk, but every year I encounter a masher or two. I know Im getting close to putting a bull on the ground. Here’s the thing: this entire area is 210 acres large. It’s a large basin surrounded by big rocky cliff bands that the elk can’t climb. The elk live in this basin all summer and into late fall but their travel route down the mountain funnels right into a unit I can’t hunt. They have everything they need in this basin; food, water, bedding timber and without pressure they don’t seem to leave until the snow comes. I’m always hyper careful in this spot because it’s GRUELING getting into it and they have an easy escape out. My game plan is always to glass from up on the rim then sneak down to the elk when they come out to feed. I’m not an elk caller and not interested really in trying. When the wind is right, I’ll risk sitting in a natural blind near their feeding areas or by a wallow. Rarely, I’ll still hunt the timber. Anyway, I’m getting ready for my trip and thought maybe I’d ask on here if anyone has experience successfully hunting elk in a small area like this and what has worked for you? Any tips are appreciated and maybe I’ll have the courage to try something new at the risk of blowing these elk out of there 😂
Have been successful in a 320 acre spot that holds good numbers of elk. Rifle hunting, so very careful to not blow them out until we shoot. Cows we pick off first and last light as they feed. Bulls we just cow call the edges and take spikes for the table and the occasional branch Bull when we have the tag. Sounds like you are doing it right by being very careful and selective in your approach.