‘21-‘22 season.

I figured I would start a thread to document my success and failures this season. I acquired a few new to me pieces of gear, developed a load, had the barrel chopped and threaded, built a suppressor, etc for this upcoming season.

Gear. Rem 700 SPS 22-250. XLR Element chassis. Leupold LPS 3.5-14. Form 1 suppressor. Foxgrip.

Innorel RT90C tripod. Anvil 30 head. Evo pod. X24 call. Fox pro decoy.

After getting the barrel chopped and threaded I loaded up a 6 shot ladder to pressure test. I adjusted the scope twice then shot a 4 shot group with the last 4 loads. There was a 143 fps difference between load 3-6. They grouped really well for being 4 different charge weights. Zero pressure so I just went with max.
412F719F-D1A7-483E-A915-8AF35CD13B99.jpeg
I loaded up some more and finally had a chance to make a few stands. I just picked a couple random spots. First stand was a blank. Second stand I had a double come in around the 8 minute mark.

The first dog saw the decoy and wouldn’t stop running until it was almost on top of it. I had to aim about 6” directly over the decoy. The second dog was more cautious and would stop, then continue coming in.

When the first dog stopped, quartering to. I dropped it right where it stood. I swung on the second dog expecting it to be taking off. Instead it was still coming in. It was in some sage so as soon as it cleared I dropped it also.
15AB3E70-2D67-438D-8809-F3660B19666C.jpeg

I was rock solid. Each time I squeezed the trigger there was zero doubt I was killing those dogs. The Anvil and RT90C are definitely worth it. Last season I never had multiple dogs come in and after the first shot not be running away. I know it was only a sample of one but I feel the suppressor did it’s job also.

Overall I’m happy with the changes/upgrades and pretty excited for the season.

OP
dirtytough
I made 3 stands in some tighter cover, more broken terrain than I normally hunt. Trying to save my go to spots for when the fur is prime.

Stand 1. I was on my way to stand 2 first thing in the morning when I decided to hunt a spot where a few thick draws come together. The sun was just cresting the ridge and I was facing directly into it.

I kick on the call and about 1 minute in there’s a coyote about 30 yards from the call charging it. It gets about 5 yards from it and peel’s off. I can tell it’s going to stop. And when it did I sent one it’s way. It was climbing out of the bottom to cross the ridge. 174 yards. Less than 2 minutes from kicking the call on. I continued calling and 10 minutes later I see another coming down the ridge that one died on.

It dropped into the bottom and I never saw it again.
34093F1A-98C5-40EE-B1EF-82502C48908A.jpeg
Stand 2 was a blank.

Stand 3 I had a dog come out of the creek about 40 yards to my left. There was a small window and by the time I got swung around on it, it disappeared behind the hill I was sitting against. I thought it might peek over the top to look down on the call but I never saw it again.

Hunting the tight areas is definitely a lot different than what I’m used to.

OP
dirtytough
This morning I finally got the kid to go with me. I was going to let him do all the shooting if we called anything in so we just brought 1 gun.

We get setup and as I’m about to start calling I see a coyote up on the hill to our 2 o’clock looking at us. It’s sitting there facing straight on. I point it out and he says he’s on it. I just get it back in my binos when I see it tip over sideways and then hear the report. Sweet, 1 down!

I wait a few minutes then kick on the call. After a few different sounds I see a flash of movement just a little below where he shot the first dog. I told him to get ready. I don’t see anything until a minute later there is a coyote running in hard from that direction. It’s only about 10 yards from the call when I can see it. It came in from the upwind side. I try to get the kid on it but he is struggling with the height of the sage and the running dog.

I grabbed the tripod and slid the legs closer together to get it kneeling height. Some of the sage is waist high so I can’t get a shot either. It finally runs up to where I first saw it and stops. I locked down the Anvil and dropped it.
BA371102-118A-445B-A205-BFD1C250CDD6.jpegHis was about 275 yards, mine 250 yards.

I’m pretty impressed with the tripod and head. Definitely locks in solid.

Stand 2-3 were blanks.